• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer clear-out

No neither do I. The question on Rose is, for me, somewhat similar to Trippier given he turns 29 this summer - his sale value will soon decline (or is already declining) so is he sufficiently good enough to keep whilst his transfer value declines, or are we better to sell now?

In terms of the answer, I believe the decision on Trippier is clear cut - I dont think he's ever been top 4 quality, albeit he's had purple patches and a great world cup. Rose used to be brilliant and one of the best LBs in the country, though in the last year or so hasn't been. If you could extract something like £30m from someone for Rose and sign, say, Chilwell (or another good LB) for say £30m - £40m then I'd be happy with that

We have to stop looking at resale value with players. Surely their an investment and as such some may depreciate

The best sides don’t buy players for future sales ...

Can leave and we wont even notice, will hopefully bring in a few £££:
Vorm
KWP
Wanyama
NKoudou
Janssen
Llorente

Would be happy to sell for the right money:
Trippier
Aurier
Rose
Sissoko
Lamela
Moura

Would rather keep but expect will force moves:
Alderweireld
Eriksen

Definitely should stay:
Lloris
Gazzaniga
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Foyth
Davies
Dier
Winks
Dele
Son
Kane

Obviously I dont expect 14 to leave, most likely itll be a little bit from a) a little bit from b)...

Its highly unlikely we will be able to do optimal business and sell and buy exactly what we want.

I think if we can let that top lot go we should have no issues around squad numbers and bringing players in.

I think whoever leaves from the second lot needs replacing.

Alderweireld and Eriksen seem likely to go. Alderweireld certainly needs replacing directly, Eriksen less so IMO. Theres no one like him out there, more likely we change shape a bit and work that way. As Ive said in another thread Id put Alli in his position, but we would certainly need attacking reinforcements.

All things being equal we really need CM and FB upgrades. And Id like something fresh in attack.

Assuming Eriksen and Toby will go our 1 to 11 in a 4-2-3-1 could be:

----------------------Lloris-----------------
Aurier---Sanchez--Verts---Rose
------------Sissoko---Dier--------------
Moura------------Dele-------------Son
----------------------Kane------------------

Keep Gazza(GK) Davies(LB/LCB), Foyth(RCB), KWP(RB), Winks(CM), Lamela(AM).

If we get new 2 full backs then send KWP on loan and use Davies as centre back when JV is rested/injured. Send Skipp out on loan also.
Get rid of Llorente, Vorm, Nkoudou, Wanyama, Trippier and probably Janssen who seems finished with us anyway although I'd keep for another year.
Sign a CM and 2 attacking players and a forward. Think Chris Wood at Burnley may be worth a punt when Kane needs a rest. Maybe try to get Modric back for a 2 year spell if options are limited for CM.

I just hope Poch gets to do what he wants but it seems very unlikely. I imagine him going into Levy's office and asking for all these things he needs and Levy nodding along but then failing to make them materialise because of the costs involved.

A job we should have started last summer - but I would:

Bin off

Llorente
Vorm
Trippier
Rose or Davies - depending on an incoming
Lamela
Nkoudou
Janssen
Wanyama if can’t prove fitness
Moura if he’s not played

Loan
KWP
Skipp

Potential players we don’t want to lose

Christian
Toby

That’s a lot of work for 2 months when we are slow movers.

Vorm
KWP
Wanyama
NKoudou
Janssen
Llorente

Trippier
Aurier
Rose
Sissoko
Lamela
Moura

Alderweireld
Eriksen

Definitely should stay:
Lloris
Gazzaniga
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Foyth
Davies
Dier
Winks
Dele
Son
Kane

Obviously I dont expect 14 to leave, most likely itll be a little bit from a) a little bit from b)...

Its highly unlikely we will be able to do optimal business and sell and buy exactly what we want.

I think if we can let that top lot go we should have no issues around squad numbers and bringing players in.

Alderweireld and Eriksen seem likely to go. Alderweireld certainly needs replacing directly, Eriksen less so IMO. Theres no one like him out there, more likely we change shape a bit and work that way. As Ive said in another thread Id put Alli in his position, but we would certainly need attacking reinforcements.

All things being equal we really need CM and FB upgrades. And Id like something fresh in attack.
I completely understand the reasoning behind the last two transfer windows.

The only problem it has created is a log jam of work to be done regarding the overhaul of the squad.

The majority of our funds will (as before) have to come from sales, so we are in the same position just with an increasing amount of work to do. Hardly an organic approach.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the last two transfer windows.

The only problem it has created is a log jam of work to be done regarding the overhaul of the squad.

The majority of our funds will (as before) have to come from sales, so we are in the same position just with an increasing amount of work to do. Hardly an organic approach.

People talk about it as if its by choice.

Seemed obvious to me these last couple of windows we just werent getting the offers for these players, which HAD to move to allow incomings.

While I think it is possible we could do a huge amount of business, Id personally anticipate less than people seem to expect.

The core team is good, its 3 players short of great, which isnt that dramatic.

The rest is squad juggling and far less imperative.

I just hope Poch gets to do what he wants but it seems very unlikely. I imagine him going into Levy's office and asking for all these things he needs and Levy nodding along but then failing to make them materialise because of the costs involved.
Poch and Levy have always been in agreement with their approach.

The majority of funds are coming from sales. Poch can sell any player he desires, Levy has given him free reign.

If you unferstand the financials, you'll understand where we are.

Seemed obvious to me these last couple of windows we just werent getting the offers for these players, which HAD to move to allow incomings.

While I think it is possible we could do a huge amount of business, Id personally anticipate less than people seem to expect.

It would be so much easier if this was Football Manager or a 7 day auction on eBay. :)

'hes worth that, he cost that' jiggle jiggle jiggle new faces, fresh squad.....weekends work.

And of course it is like that for the bottomless pit of money clubs. Two of which we're ahead of and one we're behind.

Just not good enough is it.:rolleyes:

What I think will happen;

Go;
Vorm
Aurier or Trippier
Wanyama
Llorente

(I have a feeling Toby will stay ; Eriksen depends on who comes in for him)

In;
a RB
Maybe a LB if an upgrade is available
Random 3rd choice GK
CM
Young CF (or a kid if the potential is there)
Skipp to be involved more too

That's only two, maybe three, first team changes and a little trim of the squad.

Sell.

Trippier
Rose
Vorm
Llorente
Janssen
Onomah
N'Koudou

And if Poch can sort out those who do not have the winning/winners mentality those as well.

Walker-Peters - let the coaches decide.
Onomah- let the coaches decide.
CCV- let the coaches decide.

So, just to be clear then.... all the other sales you’ve sanctioned here are actually going to happen now and the actual Tottenham coaches won’t be deciding on them then? :D

People forget we have just had a World Cup year too so ALL transfers had issues for anyone playing

Vorm - Contract up in the summer
Trippier - Cant defend. Not quick enough to cover after going forward. Can't beat a man.
Aurier - Unpredictable. Homophobe. Wife beater. Gives away penalties and loses the head.

Alderweireld - Is leaving no doubt

Davies - It's gotten to the stage where I think last season's good form was the blip not these seasons. He isn't quick enough to do the job we need on the left.

Wanyama - His knees are fudged. He has never been the same player after the injury. Gone the same way as Palacious and Sandro. With his mobility and physical superiority over his opponent he is a championship level player

Sissoko - Great this season but Pochettino has had to change the midfield just to accommodate him. He can't play in midfield two. So we always play a diamond or 3 across the midfield. Just to fit him in on the right of it. We have been at our best before with two in midfield in either a 4231 or 343. Sissoko can't play in these formations. Thats why we have seen neither or them this season.

NKoudou - Get in the bin

Moura - Remember when Bale left. Andros Townsend stepped up and was unstoppable for a month. Moura is the Brazilian Andros Townsend.
Janssen - Swap him for Andy Booth
Llorente - Contract up in the summer

Initially, I was unhappy at the thought of Eriksen leaving. He can be sublime with his passes and free kick deliveries. But something isn't quite connecting for me. His delivery on corner kicks is barely acceptable and when was the last time he planted a free kick in the net in the manner James Ward-Prowse did at Southampton?

Lately, he's been jogging nicely about the pitch but hardly representing a menace to oncoming traffic. Maybe he's tired - not the biggest or most athletic player. If he's dogging it in order to help us miss out on top four in order to speed his departure, it's hardly a commendable way to thank the club that has elevated him to his present level.

So, if he's gotta go somewhere else to find fulfillment, I'm OK with that. Can Ward-Prowse do anything decent besides his free kicks? Because that's something we haven't had at Spurs for a while.

Also, on the subject of Eriksen and general house cleaning - The Daily Flail say Spurs will back Pochettino this summer to buy up to five new players while accepting Alderweireld and Eriksen will leave. No quotes in the article, of course. And it's really just a bit of mischief, written by Sami Mokbel, a staff writer who came out of the toilet long ago to reveal his deep abiding love for Arsenal.

They really are schitting cinder blocks when they have to resort to this.

Vorm
KWP
Wanyama
NKoudou
Janssen
Llorente

Trippier
Aurier
Rose
Sissoko
Lamela
Moura

Alderweireld
Eriksen

Definitely should stay:
Lloris
Gazzaniga
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Foyth
Davies
Dier
Winks
Dele
Son
Kane

I have a reasonably similar view to you here. Although I would probably keep KWP and be tempted to sell both Trippier and Rose. I would also keep Sissoko as he is a good, versatile squad player. I've tried to add some values to some of the outs....

Sell/release:
Vorm (free),
Trippier (25M),
Wanyama (15M),
Rose (30M),
NKoudou (free),
Janssen (10M),
Llorente (free),

Aurier (25M),
Lamela (30M),
Moura (30M)
KWP (10M)

Alderweireld (25M),
Eriksen (60M)
(both reduced numbers due to contract situations

Definitely should stay:
Lloris
Gazzaniga
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Foyth
Davies
Dier
Winks
Sissoko
Dele
Son
Kane

Looking at the above we probably can't afford to lose any of those in the 'happy to sell for the right money' list if Eriksen and Alderweireld go. It would just be too much upheaval for the squad IMO as there are only 12 names in that list above and I don't see very much at all coming through from the youngsters at the moment. I think we need 4 in no matter what (2 full backs and 2 central midfielders) and 6 in if Eriksen and Alderweireld go.

Back