• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

I’m so not sold on Martial. I’ve watched and watched and watched and I just don’t think I’ve seen the talents that warrant the fee and wages being discussed. You could argue he has potential, fair enough and I do seem to remember him giving Trippier a rough ride a couple of seasons ago before Walker came on and sured things up.

However, compare signing Martial for 50m and 80k wages who primarily plays off the left which is already a position that provides 15/20 goals for us whether it be Son, Alli, Eriksen out there, to signing someone like Bale or Mahrez for 70/80m and 150k wages who could slot in off the right hand side which is traditionally a low scoring position for us whoever is out there (Lamela for a time) and could immediately be a 15 goal/10 assist position.

I think that’s what Poch is talking about with this next level stuff.

Plus by all accounts Levy's way is to offer a sensible basic salary with performance based additions. No way do we need people sat around the club on Sanchez/Ozil money. Perform like Kane and you'll get well paid. Otherwise suffer on 75k a week you poor bastards.

Players will accept this less and less, especially at the high level we are now competiting at, the amount of cash swirling around the game, and envy at how much lesser talented players are earning at clubs performing further down the league.

I'm not bothered at all if we sell Kane, Eriksen, Dele and the rest and bring through the next crop of homegrown talent mixed with cheap buys who will accept lower salaries and we start all over again. I agree with the principle of Levy's salary structure as you described above but I'm just saying I don't know how much longer he can get away with it regarding the current group of players

Players will accept this less and less, especially at the high level we are now competiting at, the amount of cash swirling around the game, and envy at how much lesser talented players are earning at clubs performing further down the league.

I'm not bothered at all if we sell Kane, Eriksen, Dele and the rest and bring through the next crop of homegrown talent mixed with cheap buys who will accept lower salaries and we start all over again. I agree with the principle of Levy's salary structure as you described above but I'm just saying I don't know how much longer he can get away with it regarding the current group of players
Surely(not Shirley), he'd only be "getting away with it" if the player concerned fails to meet his agreed targets? Even then that would only be alleviating the effect of a mistaken transfer from the club's point of view. If the player is a success and matches or exceeds his targets, then he would be likely to earn more than he would with a larger basic salary and no incentives. Doesn't it follow that talented players will accept this more and more rather than less and less? For example, it appears that Alexis Sanchez signed a contract with Manchester United giving him an extra £75,000 each time he even starts a game, which seems to me to be a pretty good incentive for him to be motivated enough to get in the starting eleven.

SPURS CHASE LILLE MAN

Tottenham and Everton are both interested in signing Lille midfielder Yves Bissouma this summer.

The 21-year-old Mali international is also on the lists at Schalke and Monaco.

Spurs are in the market for a long-term successor to Mousa Dembele and Bissouma is a player they have tracked along with Watford’s Abdoulaye Doucoure, Valencia loanee Geoffrey Kondogbia and RB Salzburg’s Amadou Haidara.

I’m so not sold on Martial. I’ve watched and watched and watched and I just don’t think I’ve seen the talents that warrant the fee and wages being discussed. You could argue he has potential, fair enough and I do seem to remember him giving Trippier a rough ride a couple of seasons ago before Walker came on and sured things up.

However, compare signing Martial for 50m and 80k wages who primarily plays off the left which is already a position that provides 15/20 goals for us whether it be Son, Alli, Eriksen out there, to signing someone like Bale or Mahrez for 70/80m and 150k wages who could slot in off the right hand side which is traditionally a low scoring position for us whoever is out there (Lamela for a time) and could immediately be a 15 goal/10 assist position.

I think that’s what Poch is talking about with this next level stuff.
£150k a week wages for Bale? He is on over £300k a week at Madrid isn't he?.... and I think that is after tax! I also cannot seeing us winning a battle with Emirates Marketing Project for Mahrez.

I'm going to believe this today so I walk around with a big smile on my face until tomorrow when reality sets in.

The only thing that makes me think there is a 10% chance of this happening rather than 400% is that fact he's now won everything he can realistically in football and the future looks very bright at Tottenham with Poch, the team and the new stadium.

I'm going to believe this today so I walk around with a big smile on my face until tomorrow when reality sets in.

The only thing that makes me think there is a 10% chance of this happening rather than 400% is that fact he's now won everything he can realistically in football and the future looks very bright at Tottenham with Poch, the team and the new stadium.
I could see this happening, Im not saying it will but I wouldnt say its unrealistic. He has an affiliation with Spurs meaning potentially he might be prepared to take a cut in wages compared to what he currently earns/could earn at Utd. He is the only genuine superstar we could realistically sign at the moment for me....

Bale would be great if he can add to the team and buys into poch.

Would he be humble enough I'm not so sure.

Anyone at Man U is just as capable as we are of calculating what Martial might offer us and they aren't generally in the business of strengthening direct rivals, so I'm very sceptical about our chances of getting him if they think he'll improve us significantly. The only way I'd see it happening is with Alderweireld going the other way, and I'm not sure we'd be net beneficiaries in that deal.

Anyone at Man U is just as capable as we are of calculating what Martial might offer us and they aren't generally in the business of strengthening direct rivals, so I'm very sceptical about our chances of getting him if they think he'll improve us significantly. The only way I'd see it happening is with Alderweireld going the other way, and I'm not sure we'd be net beneficiaries in that deal.

True. They've got terrible CBs and Alder would improve them immensely, whereas they have other pace-but-no-intelligence wide forwards. And we'd lose one of our two senior defenders, and we already have 5 great AMs.

SPURS CHASE LILLE MAN

Tottenham and Everton are both interested in signing Lille midfielder Yves Bissouma this summer.

The 21-year-old Mali international is also on the lists at Schalke and Monaco.

Spurs are in the market for a long-term successor to Mousa Dembele and Bissouma is a player they have tracked along with Watford’s Abdoulaye Doucoure, Valencia loanee Geoffrey Kondogbia and RB Salzburg’s Amadou Haidara.
Kondogbia would be a great signing if Inter sell.

But why would he accept that over the offer of a doped club, who can accept such huge risks as him being perma-crocked

PSG are being spoken about.....makes sense.
Gareth would/will have to prove himself fitness wise.....I cant see him going to a team that are high tempo....IMHO he will stay.

£150k a week wages for Bale? He is on over £300k a week at Madrid isn't he?.... and I think that is after tax! I also cannot seeing us winning a battle with Emirates Marketing Project for Mahrez.

The actual numbers weren't the key pars of my post. Bale would surely have to take a pay cut to come back to the prem, if not then why is he even being discussed, and Mahrez is possible if unlikely.

The main point being that if we really really want to go up a level and improve then I think there are better targets than Martial, they will just cost more.

GOMES EMPTIES HIS LOCKER

Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes has emptied out his locker at the club’s training ground, according to Mundo Deportivo.

Gomes, who joined Barca for an initial fee of €35m from Valencia in 2016, has struggled to establish himself as a first-team regular over the course of two seasons at the Camp Nou.

He has been tipped to leave the club this summer and Mundo Deportivo believes the fact he has cleared out his locker at the club’s training facility suggests he is already preparing for his exit.

The Portugal international wants to move the Premier League and Barca are willing to cash in on him if they receive a worthy offer.

Back