• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

What are the chances of the window ending up with something along the lines of:

In: De Ligt, [new CM - Ndombele?], Grealish, Martial
Out: Alderweireld, Dembele, Sissoko, GKN, Llorente, Janssen

Even though net spend wouldn't be too horrific and we'd be +1 English player, still probably very low chance (though it would improve the balance of the squad a lot). Would be a lot of transfers to get done in 11 days though even if most of the deals will be largely advanced already.

My hopes for the window are now really just that the TA and MD replacements are good enough that we end up roughly no worse than last season

Like it
But have we got the time?

Fingers crossed you are right

Let’s se!
Sitting here today though it feels a little underwhelming and bleak and it’s so hard to see Spurs grabbing silverware in the near future.
Then I see use struggling to keep our Eriksens and even Sanchez's.

1961/62...bugs me. We have done well in the scheme of things. We do need to find some more money from somewhere and
it would be a pity to miss out on CL this year. Yep its all about having the cash these days sadly.

Quick comparison of their midfield/forward 12 players vs ours.

Henderson resting/fit
Milner fit
Wijnaldum fit
Keita fit
Fabinho fit
Ox injured long term
Lallana fit
Shaqiri fit
Mane fit
Salah fit
Firmino fit
Sturridge fit

We have:
Dier resting/fit
Wanyama injured
Winks injured/recovering?
Dembele recovering/off?
Sissoko injured
Eriksen fit
Alli resting/fit
Lamela fit
Moura fit
Son fit - Off after game 1
Kane - resting/fit
Llorente fit

I might have some of those wrong but I think they look in reasonable shape where as we look a bit thin for the first month unless we buy.

Our midfield really is a worry for the start of season.

No idea what it will look like for the first game or so.

Any player in now won’t be ready for Saudi Sportswashing Machine either

1961/62...bugs me. We have done well in the scheme of things. We do need to find some more money from somewhere and
it would be a pity to miss out on CL this year. Yep its all about having the cash these days sadly.

Cash is king! Bloody annoying saying but so true.
Seeing the Liverpool recruitment the season has underlined our situation and has left us feeling quite like a poor relative even though most of us are loathed to admit it!

Quick comparison of their midfield/forward 12 players vs ours.

Henderson resting/fit
Milner fit
Wijnaldum fit
Keita fit
Fabinho fit
Ox injured long term
Lallana fit
Shaqiri fit
Mane fit
Salah fit
Firmino fit
Sturridge fit

We have:
Dier resting/fit
Wanyama injured
Winks injured/recovering?
Dembele recovering/off?
Sissoko injured
Eriksen fit
Alli resting/fit
Lamela fit
Moura fit
Son fit - Off after game 1
Kane - resting/fit
Llorente fit

I might have some of those wrong but I think they look in reasonable shape where as we look a bit thin for the first month unless we buy.

But we were talking about the squad... add in the defenders and keepers too

It’s a noble but very high risk strategy to keep going to that well!
It’s great when it works. But the Dele and Grealish type purchases are vital.
It now looks like Grealish is off the menu which is a shame.
I also think we missed a trick with Shaqiri. But I’m guessing Pool blew us out of the water with wages!
We are caught between a rock and a bolder!

A couple of proven quality central midfielders are a must and as type very unlikely.

But when do players get proven? They have to play first and foremost and get the chance

Poch wouldn’t have signed on like he hasn’t if he didn’t have confidence in what we were doing and he knows what we’re doing better than any fan or brick reporter

But when do players get proven? They have to play first and foremost and get the chance

Poch wouldn’t have signed on like he hasn’t if he didn’t have confidence in what we were doing and he knows what we’re doing better than any fan or brick reporter

We can’t go for titles carrying on the way we have Bedford.
I wish we could.
We are now at the sharp end of EPL and we need to continually improve all parts of our playing squad. Both youth and more importantly first team squad.
I love see the kids come through but as Chelsea and City have proved over the years it don’t win bugger all!

It's just typical Poch not airing things in public. It was clearly a message aimed at Levy but him signing a new contract a couple of weeks later, suggests that he got the answers he wanted.

I do wonder if Poch is completely happy, your right he signed a new contract a few weeks later, but how often have we seen players do that and then leave a season later because we could not keep them happy. I hope your right.

In my mind it is even money Poch going to Man U to replace Moanrinho next July, before this transfer window I would not have said this.

I doubt we were ever interested, watching him try to play a Poch press would be hilarious.

Sadly we can’t keep trotting this silly attitude out.
We look to have Llorente as understudy to our only true striker. He does not do much for Pochetinnos much vaunted press.

Why not? We are consistently a top four side and getting to the latter stages of cups. What we need is a bit of luck and hitting form at the right time.

Because we have no spare capacity in our squad.
We will are down to the barebones before we even kick off!
We must recruit quality.

We can’t go for titles carrying on the way we have Bedford.
I wish we could.
We are now at the sharp end of EPL and we need to continually improve all parts of our playing squad. Both youth and more importantly first team squad.
I love see the kids come through but as Chelsea and City have proved over the years it don’t win bugger all!

Well as neither team have ever really played their youth players I do not think it proves anything. The only teams I really remember going all in for youth players were Man U with the class of 92, Arsenal in the early years of Wenger when they were actually good.

Taking a more long term approach then the one extreme or the other that Chelsea seem to go is not the way one season being good the other season being gash. With our youth players I think we had a real opportunity one that I think is almost past with the current crop to bring them into the first team squad and over a 2 year period get them from fringe players into proper first team players.

Having Walker Peters instead of the expensive and error prone Aurier last season and Onomah instead of Sissoko I doubt we would have seen a real downside in first team performances and we would have saved a load of money to go to a proper world class player or improve wages for the rest of the squad.

We like a few clubs have flirted with the notion of bringing through youth players but we have never really gone all out for it. If we were like German clubs who take a step back and take 18 months to two years to build a team to compete then maybe we would surprise ourselves. It is one of the biggest faults with English club football, people think in seasons rather then in building and developing a team.

I do wonder if Poch is completely happy, your right he signed a new contract a few weeks later, but how often have we seen players do that and then leave a season later because we could not keep them happy. I hope your right.

In my mind it is even money Poch going to Man U to replace Moanrinho next July, before this transfer window I would not have said this.

Hope you are wrong but it is an increasing risk we are running!
We can’t keep flying in face of logic? If that’s the right saying?
We got lucky in the last few seasons on the back of one or three exceptional players, we can’t keep chancing/riding our luck.

Well as neither team have ever really played their youth players I do not think it proves anything. The only teams I really remember going all in for youth players were Man U with the class of 92, Arsenal in the early years of Wenger when they were actually good.

Taking a more long term approach then the one extreme or the other that Chelsea seem to go is not the way one season being good the other season being gash. With our youth players I think we had a real opportunity one that I think is almost past with the current crop to bring them into the first team squad and over a 2 year period get them from fringe players into proper first team players.

Having Walker Peters instead of the expensive and error prone Aurier last season and Onomah instead of Sissoko I doubt we would have seen a real downside in first team performances and we would have saved a load of money to go to a proper world class player or improve wages for the rest of the squad.

We like a few clubs have flirted with the notion of bringing through youth players but we have never really gone all out for it. If we were like German clubs who take a step back and take 18 months to two years to build a team to compete then maybe we would surprise ourselves. It is one of the biggest faults with English club football, people think in seasons rather then in building and developing a team.

Sadly we are completing at the very top of ‘English club football’

Last edited:

Poch would've had no shortage of offers if he had walked this summer. He probably would have had a choice between Madrid and PSG. He showed at Southampton that he not afraid to walk if his relationship with the board deteriorates.

Sadly we can’t keep trotting this silly attitude out.
We look to have Llorente as understudy to our only true striker. He does not do much for Pochetinnos much vaunted press.

And Llorente hasn't worked out because he doesn't suit our playing style, he'd probably do quite well at Chelsea. Prioritising players to fit your style of play is not a silly attitude.

I doubt we were ever interested, watching him try to play a Poch press would be hilarious.

I think you underestimate how much a player can adapt under more comfy surroundings, different coach/winning team etc. Even Hazard had an off key season when it wasn't going his way. The reason I thought getting him might suit us as I stated on another thread is that he has quality, was cheap, and can also play a false 9 to cover for Harry when needed.

I think some fans (not saying you) think we are still in for the Isco's of this world....unfortunately it ain't gonna happen!

Ps. I do however trust Poch, if he doesn't want someone we have to assume he knows a bit more than us.

apparently
reo griffiths has already left spurs. we must have not been able to tempt him to sign a professional contract with us. Very strange of us. Then again he’d easily get more money abroad or elsewhere at 18, not sure what we would have offered him.

And Llorente hasn't worked out because he doesn't suit our playing style, he'd probably do quite well at Chelsea. Prioritising players to fit your style of play is not a silly attitude.

We deride the likes of Shaqiri out of hand and then have to put up with even worse.
I’m only using Shaqiri as an example, what truly tinkles me off is our followers dismissive media driven attitude to players.
Let us hope we get some good players through the door!
No you are not silly, well not all the time ;)

Back