• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2013 signings thread

SpurMeUp

Jimmy Cantrell
Estimate the cost of the post Bale flops.

1. Separate the post Bale signings into Hit and Miss.
  • If a player has potential, you'd like them to stay, then you'd probably class them as a 'hit' even though they've not delivered on their promise yet.
2. Estimate how much we've spent on the misses - transfer fees and wages.

3. Give us a total estimated cost of the failed signings.

Last edited:
Soldado, Paulinho and Capoue have been flops.

Eriksen the stand out success. Still waiting on Lamela. Chadli has been alright at least. Chirhces hasn't been good enough, but not a complete flop and a useful squad player this season.

Soldado, Paulinho and Capoue have been flops.

Eriksen the stand out success. Still waiting on Lamela. Chadli has been alright at least. Chirhces hasn't been good enough, but not a complete flop and a useful squad player this season.

So approximately £15m each for the three of them? Plus what £2m a year in wages? So the best part of £50m.

Hit:
  • Eriksen
Happy to give more time but if the right offer comes in, sell:
  • Lamela
  • Chadli
Miss
  • Chirhces (who played ok today)
  • Capoue
  • Soldado
  • Paulinho
The question is, will we be able to sell these players!? If we add Lamela to the misses then we've got to be looking at close to £80m of costs with two years of wages taken into account. Yes they are assets, but only if you can sell. Otherwise they become a burden. We may need to take some big hits this summer in order to clear the decks. They are all decent players who can offer something to other teams. So fingers crossed we can shift them on.

Good call SpurMeUp. If there is one subject that has not been done to death on this board, it is raking over our summer 2013 transfer dealings.

All the fees were in Euros.
Transfer fees are usually paid in instalments over 3-4 years.
The Euro has fallen to around 80% of what it was when he signed them.
So the actual fees we are paying are down a good bit on the headline fees at the time.

Good call SpurMeUp. If there is one subject that has not been done to death on this board, it is raking over our summer 2013 transfer dealings.

Well now is the time that Spurs will be trying to address the situation for Poch behind the scenes. And when I watch these players play, you are struck by how much they must have cost. Not a small fortune. A large one.

Modric THFC, what would you guess the true costs were then? And who would you class a 'miss'?

We will get bAck reasonableiney still for the likes of Capoue and Chriches as they weren't mega money

Soldado we will do well to get £10m due to his age

Lamella we will persevere with as we won't wanna take a £18m hit

Eriksen has doubled in value so you have to balance that out against the failures

Chaldi hasn't gone down in value either and has probably gone up to a £12m player based on his goal return alone

So not that bad then Bedford. All in all. Especially with the Euro and no doubt Levy has lots of performance related payments in there.

But I'm after a headline figure. Regardless of what they will sell for (as we can't say for sure) what did the underachievers cost us? £40m approximately?

Well now is the time that Spurs will be trying to address the situation for Poch behind the scenes. And when I watch these players play, you are struck by how much they must have cost. Not a small fortune. A large one.

We've got a thread on our squad next season and moaning about our summer 2013 signings has been done to death. I just don't see the point in another thread on it.

We've got a thread on our squad next season and moaning about our summer 2013 signings has been done to death. I just don't see the point in another thread on it.

Not moaning (like others around here!) just wanting to know what these players cost us. If you were Levy, its a calculation you would be making too. Albeit more informed. It's interesting to see different perspectives, that potentially the costs were lower than we think.

Would have been better off using the money on the stadium, or using it to pay off Archway a year ago and start building a year early, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let's face it, at the time there was potential this could transform us, taking us to the next level. I personally would have spent it on three top, proven players, but the reality is we are able n a hole with alot of dross and it really showed today that we are seriously lacking a player thatcan light the game up.

Not moaning (like others around here!) just wanting to know what these players cost us. If you were Levy, its a calculation you would be making too. Albeit more informed. It's interesting to see different perspectives, that potentially the costs were lower than we think.

Like I said, we've had loads of threads on this, why not ask this in one of those rather than start another one?

They cost us around the following iirc

Erisken £11m
Crapoue £7-£8m
Chriches £8m
Chaldi £7m
Soldado £26m
Lamella £28m
Paulinho £15m

Lamella an soldados included add ons (more so for lamellas) ... So £103 m max at an estimate

Probably works out nearer £90m with add on but again it's guess work

Current values would be approximately half for poorlinho, and maybe £10m for soldado

Lamella would be worth about £12m based on reputation alone and possibly more

Crapoue and chircihes would reasonably cost the same again so no loss there

Erisken has doubled in value and is argue that Chaldi would cost you £12m in current market.

So gain of about £16m vs a loss of £37m against their max purchase prices

It's all guess work though but they were never all gonna be worldies even though they all had great reputations

Don't forget we didn't just sell bale, we sold caulker, Dempsey, Parker, huddlestone, and others that I can't remember

There will always be hits and misses, but here we have a low percentage of hits when we desperately needed a few hits to overcome the loss of Bale. Two or three hits could have had us challenging top four so much more effectively, given how the points haul has been more or less maintained.

As for the losses, they are less than they "feel". We need a squad and the failures have generally been useful members of the squad. We might have got away with lower wages for a squad player but the difference wouldn't have been substantial.

As to sales value, I think it easy to exaggerate how little players who haven't worked out would get. All have added PL experience and that adds to value of sold to a PL club. Eriksen will have gained a lot, Chadli a fair bit. I doubt Capoue or Chiriches will have lost value and we could probably recoup most of Paulinho's cost, allowing for a bit of Levy magic. Lamela has the potential so likewise wouldn't be a huge loss. As already states, Soldado would be the only major hit and that is because his purchase was so out of character for a Levy purchase.

The real cost is one of lost opportunity and of continued progression.

Like I said, we've had loads of threads on this, why not ask this in one of those rather than start another one?

Because I wouldn't of had the pleasure of a public tet-a-tet with you. In truth, I'm not interested in what these players might be worth, what we could get for them, just want to know what theses 'misses' cost Spurs. That is all. Its not like there are oodles of new threads on here at the moment.

Dealing with the legacy of these players will determine our summer dealings and have a big bearing on next season. There are other interesting areas that relate as well. For example, were the youth players coming through - a massive positive overall - part of the reason that the 2013 signings have not had a chance to deliver in their second season? Can some of these players come good? You could make an argument that many should stay on for some consistency. Paulinho has shown he can play a part. Chriches did okay today. If we can't sell them, would you say they can contribute to the squad next season?

I'd prefer Chiriches at right back to Walker. I think Walker's end product is weak, his defending is weak and all he has going for him is that he can run fast. That might be a judgment on current form but it's been a long time since he was displaying the kind of form which makes him our true first choice right back.

I'd prefer Chiriches at right back to Walker. I think Walker's end product is weak, his defending is weak and all he has going for him is that he can run fast. That might be a judgment on current form but it's been a long time since he was displaying the kind of form which makes him our true first choice right back.
I agree, I've thought this for a while. Chiriches has some pace, has skill, can see a pass and isn't as bad at defending as can be made out on here. Walker just hasn't a clue when running with the ball and I don't know why, he really looked like the real deal when he first came on the scene...

Yes Soldado was the big splurge. Against Levy's better judgement, but the argument was made that we needed a proven goal scorer. We likely paid a lot less than £26m all things considered. I am amazed we managed to get Eriksen for the price we reportedly did. He is the silver lining of 2013s transfer business. I would hazard a guess that all in we spunked away about £50m. Soldado and Paulinho the most expensive in terms of wages and fees, especially set against the returns on them. All the rest - Chadli, Capoue even Lamela - will be on lower, performance related wages.

£50m still a massive sum. Can you imagine having 5 million in the bank, let alone an extra 45 of those millions? But, it is probably a good deal less than pool have haemorrhaged post Suarez. The two stellar transfers and 'forced' spend are remarkably similar, with home grown players coming to the fore over the big signings. The fact that we have probably lost a lot less than pool is testament to Levy's acumen. If we'd spent the money they have, we'd really be in trouble this summer, as things stand we are okay. But it has to have hurt Levy. He will be asking what can be learnt from it.

Estimate the cost of the post Bale flops.

1. Separate the post Bale signings into Hit and Miss.
  • If a player has potential, you'd like them to stay, then you'd probably class them as a 'hit' even though they've not delivered on their promise yet.
2. Estimate how much we've spent on the misses - transfer fees and wages.

3. Give us a total estimated cost of the failed signings.

Tottenham Hotspur Player Transfer History & Statistics 1908-2015

Back