• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sugar Daddy - Yea or Nay?

Sugar Daddy?

• Yea

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters
Well said Pirate 55, Jimmyb and DubaiSpurs.

Only two clubs have disturbed to any serious level the dominance of the three most successful clubs in English football (Utd Pool and Arsenal) during the Prem era. These have been billionaire-driven Chelsea and City. The only other club to make even a dent in the cartel in terms of winning the title have beeen Blackburn. And guess how they did it, yep by 'buying the title' as well. Except in their case Jack Walker didn't have the money, and Blackburn didn't don't have the fanbase, to continue spending their way to the top, so they've gone back to somewhere round their level pre-Walker.

It's painfully clear, and has been to me for years, the only way for us to get back to our former glories is to spend massive amounts of money. Incidentally, just like we did when we 'bought' all our trophies in the early 60s, when we were one of the biggest spenders and richest clubs in the country. Yes, we were significantly different to Chelsea and City in the way we generated our money, but nevertheless our success was generated by big spending. All our top players Mackay Blancflower Jones White Greaves Brown Norman Smith Allen were poached from other clubs, many through record or near record signings. It's sad, given our present state, to reflect that three of them came directly or indirectly from Chelsea. Yep those where the days when we could raid Chelsea for talent. I'd love to see that happen again, and it could easily have been so, had we the lucky recipients of RA's money no them, as they teetered on a financial crisis back in 2003.

FFP may make it more difficult for a 'new City or Chelsea' to arise, but in our case the training ground and stadium expense could have been paid for by generous owners, while allowing significant money to be pumped into the playing staff.

Moreover as many people have commented, there are ways round FFP too, eg sponsorship deals, loss-led marketing, etc.

At least it's still us though

Is it still 'us' though. I don't recognize the club that I supported on the terraces in the 60s and 70s. Of course they were always moaners and whingers, but there also a whole level of fun, passion and achievement in those decades, that has now deserted the sterile, corrosive atmosphere at the Lane that I finally gave up on a couple of years back.

Doubtless some of my cynicism and pessimism comes with my advancing years, but plenty of 'young uns' are fed up/alienated from the soulless corporation that ENIC (along with Sky, UEFA, etc) have turned our club into. There is one ray of hope in the 1882 movement, and it's so refreshing to see younger people (as I believe they mainly are) doing something to make our club worth visiting again at its currently 'far from spiritual' home.

I agree with many of you with the idea that we can't compete as it is now and may as well join them.

However, this doesn't translate into wanting a new owner. If a sugar-daddy willing to put in money was guaranteed, then yes, but there are no guarantees. It could be a Hicks or Glazer type (Carlyle Group?), it could be like the penniless billionaires who bought Portsmouth, or it could be like Thaksin at City - just our luck to get funded by an international fugitive with frozen assets. Most likely it will be neutral like the Liverpool mob, so overall I don't think the risk is worthwhile.

Not bothering to vote on this one.

Football's now an arms race with the Super Powers battling it out between themselves. Twas ever thus of course but every so often you'd get a Celtic, Forest or Villa coming along in true David & Goliath style. It's not going to happen again and I'm afraid we're destined to join the aforementioned in the "Novelty Names Who Used To Be Big Club" along with likes of St Etienne, Ajax and Dukla Prague.

And what exactly is "us". ?

I wouldn't mind if we were heroic failures, but just being failures is hard to take.

I want to see the best players playing for us, entertaining football, winning trophies, scoring bucketful of goals, bringing fun and a smile to our face once again. The only way nowadays is for a major monetary injection. Without that you are fooling yourself if we think we could compete with the top four or five sides again.

And what exactly is "us". ?

I wouldn't mind if we were heroic failures, but just being failures is hard to take.

I want to see the best players playing for us, entertaining football, winning trophies, scoring bucketful of goals, bringing fun and a smile to our face once again. The only way nowadays is for a major monetary injection. Without that you are fooling yourself if we think we could compete with the top four or five sides again.

There's only two/three clubs out of reach financially and one of those is currently doing worse than us anyway.

Liverpool and Arsenal are reachable as we currently stand - once the new stadium is delivered we'll be on the same footing, albeit behind in terms of recent success, but it will only take good managment to have us in a position where we can challenge properly.

The amount of drama queens and doom merchants who want instant success is appalling - go and support City or Chelsea if the only things important to you are winning. 3 years a go we were an England managers sacking away from being genuine title challengers - where was the 'no chance of winning without a sugar daddy' phalanx then? all it's taken is a period of regression for supporters to throw in the towel. Pathetic

There's only two/three clubs out of reach financially and one of those is currently doing worse than us anyway.

Liverpool and Arsenal are reachable as we currently stand - once the new stadium is delivered we'll be on the same footing, albeit behind in terms of recent success, but it will only take good managment to have us in a position where we can challenge properly.

The amount of drama queens and doom merchants who want instant success is appalling - go and support City or Chelsea if the only things important to you are winning. 3 years a go we were an England managers sacking away from being genuine title challengers - where was the 'no chance of winning without a sugar daddy' phalanx then? all it's taken is a period of regression for supporters to throw in the towel. Pathetic

No one has thrown in the towel; we're all still here aren't we?

I think this conversation stem from all the never ending frustrations. Most teams on the fooking planet just build a stadium, we have to go through a meticulous government sponsored re-generation package that goes well beyond football and then have grueling, protracted court episodes that get so tedious that when pictures emerge of a three foot ditch behind one of the stands we are all reaching for the moisturizing cream and tissues.

I think Spurs fans get knocked for being fickle, but how often has a 6th placed team won the bloody champions league? After we blow it due to our managers court case (wtf?) and flirting with another job?? That was a hard blow to swallow.

I understand that we are in the same boat as 90% of football clubs who have their players and managers poached all the time too. But just for once it would be nice to attract a good player and for once have a chance of keeping him. It would be nice just to see good football, enjoyable matches, big European nights, stadium projects that come to fruition and a bit of optimism around the place. I'd love to see us win the league during my life time, and there is zero chance that will ever happen the way things stand.

I think that to call supporters "pathetic" and accuse them of throwing in the towel is harsh. People are attracted by the lure of that that i have listed above. We are feeling desperate that the promise of what we had built over the last 10 years has evaporated. I guess a lot of us on here are about 30, and all we have ever seen is a terrible tottenham occupying mid to lower mid table. We're just gutted to see us regressing back down the league after all the recent promise.

I can understand people voting no, but I certainly wouldn't chastise or label as pathetic fans who vote yes.

Enjoyment can come from scrapping, battling, working, fighting both on the pitch and in the courts. It can come from long term investment in youth.

It can also come from watching Aguero play rather than Adebayor, or from watching Fabregas rather than a lumbering Capoue.

Watching a regressing average side complete with overpriced and over paid nobodies with no affinity to the club is in no way gratifying. The moral high ground can often be a lonely place to be.

Last edited:
Throwing in the towel is the most accurate description i can think of for those who are now saying we can't compete or won't ever compete by living within our means - people werent saying this a few years back when we were competing - it's just they don't want to go through the seasons of effort to get there and would rather have it bought for them.

That to me is pathetic, want it now but don't want to 'work' for it

Watching a regressing average side complete with overpriced and over paid nobodies with no affinity to the club is in no way gratifying. The moral high ground can often be a lonely place to be

There aren't only two options are there? Sugar daddy or the above - which makes this particular point rather pointless...

The boat has sailed on the Sugar Daddy front because FFP will put a stop to that now.

Chelsea are now in a position whereby they don't need Abramovich's millions as they now fund their big buys from selling half a dozen young "starlets" that came to them in the vain hope of making it big and Emirates Marketing Project just come up with another thing to sponsor with Arab money. No other club has the funds to compete against either of them.

Throwing in the towel is the most accurate description i can think of for those who are now saying we can't compete or won't ever compete by living within our means - people werent saying this a few years back when we were competing - it's just they don't want to go through the seasons of effort to get there and would rather have it bought for them.

That to me is pathetic, want it now but don't want to 'work' for it

I am afraid you have missed the point again. A few years ago we could potentially compete at the highest level. Now the chances of us getting in the top four never mind having a realistic tilt at the title is next to nothing.

Let's face facts people. We are currently way behind four or five other clubs. A new stadium alone isn't going to help in this regard - those other teams already have one. The money from the CL alone will continue to enable them to finance the best players. Worse, if we find a decent prospect or two, they will simply buy our talent. We can only realistically stop this by competing on all financial fronts.

Let's just look at Southampton. Last year they did well and lost five star players. This year they are doing well again, and will in all probability lose three or four again (schneiderlin, Rodriquez, Clyne )will almost certainly be gone in January or at the end of the season IMO . And so it will go on with us unless we get the financial wherewithal to stop it

There aren't only two options are there? Sugar daddy or the above - which makes this particular point rather pointless...

Call it what you wish, but we really need a major financial benefactor if you want to see the best at WHL playing for Spurs and not in an opponents shirt while we press our noses against the window pains. Sorry but those are the harsh facts of the world we are now living in. Gone are the days that a Forest, Derby or Leeds can compete at the highest level and funnily enough I don't want to emulate them.

Call it what you wish, but we really need a major financial benefactor if you want to see the best at WHL playing for Spurs and not in an opponents shirt while we press our noses against the window pains. Sorry but those are the harsh facts of the world we are now living in. Gone are the days that a Forest, Derby or Leeds can compete at the highest level and funnily enough I don't want to emulate them.

Again, as aleady stated that isn't the only way to succeed - don't dress it up as the only way when it's just a case of you wanting success now but aren't prepared to go through the effort to get it.

Liverpool were within a gnats breath of winning the league last season and as mentioned earlier we weren't far off ouselves in 11/12.

Would those who oppose the idea still do so even if it meant guarenteeing the mediate return of Gareth Bale?

Why would that change anyones opinion?

Chelsea are now in a position whereby they don't need Abramovich's millions as they now fund their big buys from selling half a dozen young "starlets" that came to them in the vain hope of making it big and Emirates Marketing Project just come up with another thing to sponsor with Arab money. No other club has the funds to compete against either of them.

I think that is only true in the short term. If once our stadium is built both ENIC and Abramovich sailed off into the night. Assuming that we were both bought out by owners with similar means, we would be left in a better position.

Have not read through the whole thread and I do not care for others opinion on this, for me it is a massive NO.

Do wish we would spend our money a little wiser and while I would hope we would continue to scout the cheaper European market I would also like to see our youth players given more of a chance. Caulker was not the next King but he could have improved and also offered more then some who have come after him. I also feel we should stick with managers more but then also when we lose one not go for the next "bright" thing but really look into who would suit us as a club.

No for all the problems with this club, none of my issues would be fixed by a sugar daddy if anything it would make me give up. Chelsea mean nothing to me and nor do their fans because it is all built on sand.

Back