• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sugar Daddy - Yea or Nay?

Sugar Daddy?

• Yea

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters
The key to this is whether we can realistically succeed without a rich owner. I don't think we can as the competitors have that in built advantage before they start. They bring in the top players and then we continue to launch threads asking why we struggle against these sides, well, duh!!

The difficulty now though is the Financial FairPlay rules, if that's what they are called. We can no longer spend £250m in one transfer window without the spend being accounted for.

So the fairy tale story of reaching the top table without selling our club seems way beyond us. The dream belongs in a book like Cinderella, it's never going to happen!!

I would feel my enthusiasm a little less if we buy our way to the top but, I want us to succeed and this seems the only way to do so.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I think it highly likely that FFP will eventually be successfully challenged in the European courts. The Bosman lawyer, Jean-Louis Dupont, is already on the case. The case for FFP is paper thin, so it is extremely vulnerable.

I'd be happy with either one of the following two options...neither of which we're doing right now:

1. Use homegrown (not being a xenophobe, I'm referring to players of any nationality coming through our academy and learning to play the Spurs-way) talent to have a team full of players who fight for their place, although I accept this would likely mean no huge 'success' in the foreseeable future

2. Total 'cheat-mode' where we get to see the likes of aguero, toure, kompany, Silva, navas play in our shirt

What we have right now is some horrible in-between state that is unsuccessful and feels a bit dirty (the £20+ mill players and the mercenaries). I know we'd all prefer us to do it the 'right' way, but boy would I enjoy us playing to win things...

Ps I'm a season ticket holder who has been going for over 25 years through thick and thin. I'm going to carry on going whichever way we go, so I'm not a 'plastic' fan, just one that might enjoy some trophies and CL runs too

Agreed. The status quo is not working.

1. I would like to see our club to lead on moral issues in the game, commitments by players not to dive etc.

2. Reduce the short-term-ism culture. Treat players and managers as people, looking as them less as commodities and more as investments, etc.

3. Build a club based on a system, impose the system at all levels and stick with it.

4. The primary source of 1st team players should be from within. The transfer budget used to scale up the youth and reserve teams development programmes. Establish the right culture and work ethics required to win by paying the best coaches to work at all levels.

5. Never sack a coach...if they can't do it, they should resign. This will be the culture at the club...self imposed accountability.

6. The above would make it rare for anybody external to play for the club. It would end the mercenry culture and would make any transfer approach that we make a serious complement to the player and a unique opportunity to them.

Could win us a CL spot every season or could put us into league 1!

Last edited:
Yes. Absolutely, yes. A sugar-daddy, subsidising tickets to let the less wealthy fans back into the game they've been locked out of....that would go a long way towards making the Lane a happier place, I feel. Same goes for building a team that can compete for trophies without having its soul ripped out every four years, or actually buying the players a manager lists as his first choice instead of near-useless bargain bin buys brought in to pretend that we are still contenders for anything but the once-in-a-decade League Cup/Top four roulette.

I'd be happy with either one of the following two options...neither of which we're doing right now:

1. Use homegrown (not being a xenophobe, I'm referring to players of any nationality coming through our academy and learning to play the Spurs-way) talent to have a team full of players who fight for their place, although I accept this would likely mean no huge 'success' in the foreseeable future

2. Total 'cheat-mode' where we get to see the likes of aguero, toure, kompany, Silva, navas play in our shirt

What we have right now is some horrible in-between state that is unsuccessful and feels a bit dirty (the £20+ mill players and the mercenaries). I know we'd all prefer us to do it the 'right' way, but boy would I enjoy us playing to win things...

Ps I'm a season ticket holder who has been going for over 25 years through thick and thin. I'm going to carry on going whichever way we go, so I'm not a 'plastic' fan, just one that might enjoy some trophies and CL runs too

Good post.

We've basically become a cut-price version of Cit£h / Chav$ski with a squad full of players who have no affinity for Tottenham other than the fact that we pay their wages. However (aside from Hugo) none are world class so we neither have the pleasure of winning any silverware or the consolation of watching a team full of academy players giving their all for the club they have grown up with.

For now I'm content with ENIC and want to see how much difference the revenue from the new stadium makes. An extra £50m a year should allow us to afford some better quality signings and hopefully the academy will churn out a few of players of the calibre of King / Carr / ARSEsol to form a homegrown foundation of the team.

We've generally been proud of the way we are run (economically) and I feel the general consensus has been that we are trying to 'do it the right way'. We've dismissed City and Chelsea and other clubs who throw money around to gain success. Recently however there has been murmuring about our approach and I get the sense that frustration is boiling over into impatience...

So a simple two option poll (for all you fence sitters! :D).

Will we get more satisfaction if we continue this way and win a trophy? Will we win anything if we continue this way? Would you want money coming in abundance and bringing back players like Bale OR keeping our best?

Some may argue that football has lost it's soul anyway so it doesn't matter as much anymore?

I haven't been proud of the way we have been run for years, and far from dismissing City and Chelsea I have long felt theirs is the only way for us realistically to get to the top. So for me it's yes to a billionaire benefactor(s) like they have. Those clubs owners are far better than ENIC.

The thing is that, even if we did get a billionaire benefactor of our own, we would only be levelling the playing field. We wouldn't be guaranteeing trophies. We'd just be ensuring that we were at least in a position to compete for them. As it stands, we aren't. And never will be. Not consistently.

That is totally accurate and in one way I agree with you. I am not naive. I know that football is all about money now but once we join the who's the richest prick competition I'm pretty sure I'll lose all real interest. Ultimately that's not a game I'd like to see Spurs compete in.

I get twice as much pleasure out of watching Kane and Mason succeed and push their way into first team contention than I would if we spunked 50mil on an Ozil or Costa. The sugar daddy route would likely put an end to the kids coming from the academy. Similarly I would get twice as much satisfaction if Spurs could win a cup or get a CL spot without spending the GDP of a small country to do it. If we don't, we don't. I'll enjoy the ride as far as it brings me.

I'd love if there was a breakaway super league and all the carbon circle clubs would **** off and slowly fade away.
But until that happens I want us to grow as a club and maybe with the stadium revenue and bit of luck we'll achieve something meaningful. Something to be proud of. Something earned.

how about another option "don't care".

if i wanted real passion i'd support a semi-pro football team.

i watch the epl to and followed it from the Football League First Division days because I wanted to watch a club play the highest level of football and the management supporting it.

i would support the club regardless of the situation, but expectations will change. Right now I'm happy for us challenging for Top4/Champsions League position - that would be overachieving based on our current business model.

Yes. Absolutely, yes. A sugar-daddy, subsidising tickets to let the less wealthy fans back into the game they've been locked out of....that would go a long way towards making the Lane a happier place, I feel. Same goes for building a team that can compete for trophies without having its soul ripped out every four years, or actually buying the players a manager lists as his first choice instead of near-useless bargain bin buys brought in to pretend that we are still contenders for anything but the once-in-a-decade League Cup/Top four roulette.

This for me too. Tired of being an also ran. The ONLY way to compete at the top table and stay there is if we can buy our way there.

Let's pretend for a moment that we somehow achieve a miracle and make the CL without a benefactor. What happens next? We just lose all our best players again and are back to square one.

It is pure fantasyland to think we will achieve anything lasting without a serious benefactor.

This for me too. Tired of being an also ran. The ONLY way to compete at the top table and stay there is if we can buy our way there.

Let's pretend for a moment that we somehow achieve a miracle and make the CL without a benefactor. What happens next? We just lose all our best players again and are back to square one.

It is pure fantasyland to think we will achieve anything lasting without a serious benefactor.

No way to lower your expectations and be content with the way things are?

Isn't that the position that 90% of football fans find themselves in?

I don't think so at all, I think most of the clubs are working their balls off trying to get to that level, there will come a time for all of them when it solely becomes a matter of money, we'll see how that pans out then.

We've hit our ceiling for this model.

If done the right way, yes please. This means security for the club if the cash were suddenly to go. So restraint over wages, and none of this Glazier rubbish. City and Chelsea are only as rich as the oil behind them. Oil will be gone in 50 years. That's nothing... 54 years ago Tottenham won the double, 113 years ago their first FA Cup. Football will outlast oil unless things the entire world really changes.

ENIC etc are great in keeping us up with the pack, our current peers are Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, Everton but look how stable we have been compared to them since ENIC took charge. So I am grateful for our owners and until Roman Sheikovich comes along I'm happy.

It's a yea from me.

I don't like this talk about doing things the "right way". Short of criminal activity or irresponsible overspending leading to administration (and maybe even liquidation), there is no wrong way.

Any other business owner in any other sector is allowed to invest in his company in order for it to grow. Why should football be any different? Stubbornly clinging to some kind of imagined moral high ground while watching the club fall ever further behind is not something that appeals to me. There is no consolation in it. No victory of any sort.

Football long ago ceased to be a pure sporting competition, contested on a metaphorical level playing field. Financial inequality within the game first gained real momentum in the 1980's when the big clubs enforced a change to the distribution of gate income. Instead of there being an even split between the two teams, the home team was thereafter to take all the receipts. Then came the Premier League. Then the Champions League. Then Chelsea. And Emirates Marketing Project. Each and every event a nail in the coffin of true sporting competition.

To stand on principle against this tide, Canute like, is pointless.

Not to mention trophyless.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. There's nothing wrong with it. And it would be a whole lot more fun.

Perfectly summed up Jimmy.

The problem I have is people say "if we stay the course and win trophies, think how satisfying it will be!". But we won't win trophies, that's the point. I just can't see us keeping pace with the rest of the top 6, If anything, we will fall further behind.

Expecting/hoping Spurs will succeed under this model is the equivalent of hoping that England will win the World Cup.

Last edited:
I don't think so at all, I think most of the clubs are working their balls off trying to get to that level, there will come a time for all of them when it solely becomes a matter of money, we'll see how that pans out then.

We've hit our ceiling for this model.
I think that the majority of clubs start a season with no realistic chance of winning a trophy.

With regards to us, I think that it depends on how you define our ceiling. I think that we could qualify for the Champions League again under our current model. Once our stadium is built, we should be able to push on.

On a season level absolutely, but I'm sure they all have plans to improve long term.

By the time we that extra stadium money coming in we will be a long way behind, also with the current English performance in the CL (and the slim possibility of one being used for the FA Cup) there is no guarantee that there will be 4 slots indefinitely. There could easily be a couple more clubs with a bit more financial clout around us by then as well.

There is a world of difference between "probably won't ever win the league again" and "absolutely will not win the league again".

It feels like we are missing another chance to re-establish ourselves.

On a season level absolutely, but I'm sure they all have plans to improve long term.

By the time we that extra stadium money coming in we will be a long way behind, also with the current English performance in the CL (and the slim possibility of one being used for the FA Cup) there is no guarantee that there will be 4 slots indefinitely. There could easily be a couple more clubs with a bit more financial clout around us by then as well.

There is a world of difference between "probably won't ever win the league again" and "absolutely will not win the league again".

It feels like we are missing another chance to re-establish ourselves.

My problem is that WE wouldn't be re-establishing anything - we'd just be the vessel through which a rich man with too much money gets his jollies. WE wouldn't be acheiving anything

That is totally accurate and in one way I agree with you. I am not naive. I know that football is all about money now but once we join the who's the richest prick competition I'm pretty sure I'll lose all real interest. Ultimately that's not a game I'd like to see Spurs compete in.

I get twice as much pleasure out of watching Kane and Mason succeed and push their way into first team contention than I would if we spunked 50mil on an Ozil or Costa. The sugar daddy route would likely put an end to the kids coming from the academy. Similarly I would get twice as much satisfaction if Spurs could win a cup or get a CL spot without spending the GDP of a small country to do it. If we don't, we don't. I'll enjoy the ride as far as it brings me.

I'd love if there was a breakaway super league and all the carbon circle clubs would **** off and slowly fade away.
But until that happens I want us to grow as a club and maybe with the stadium revenue and bit of luck we'll achieve something meaningful. Something to be proud of. Something earned.

Exactly the way I feel. The way the game has gone, and continues to go, I can see myself eventually losing interest altogether. I already find myself less and less bothered about watching football outside of live games. The CL money-go-round is a sterile bore already as far as I'm concerned, and the hollow experience of watching Spurs joining the oligarchy trying to buy their way to every trophy year in, year out would, I suspect, kill my interest completely.

Back