• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stephen Pienaar Debate

A couple of his best qualities are that he makes himself available and rarely seems to give the ball away. Malbranque was similar in that respect.

These aren't the greatest players, but they help the team keep possession and calm everything down when under pressure. If they can pop up with the occasional goal then even better.

I think this could be one of may things that is annoying levy about Redknapp, and remember he also has Pleat advising him. I very much doubt Redknapp will be here next season.

If the Spooky ITK is to be believed then his loan back to Everton makes more sense. One could envisage the situation where Pienaar was bought by Levy to sell on at a profit and to pander to our South African sponsors. And it was by no means a bad gamble as he is decent little player as can be seen by his Everton form.

But how often does a player bought by the chairman with no input from the manager work out? The manager often marginalises the player on principle irrespective of form. In saying all that Peinaar didn't perform at all for us except one notable outing against Milan. He really didn't deserve his place.

Aside - I believe that Kranjar's best position is the number 10 as backup for VDV, but that's another thread :)

If the Spooky ITK is to be believed then his loan back to Everton makes more sense. One could envisage the situation where Pienaar was bought by Levy to sell on at a profit and to pander to our South African sponsors. And it was by no means a bad gamble as he is decent little player as can be seen by his Everton form.

But how often does a player bought by the chairman with no input from the manager work out? The manager often marginalises the player on principle irrespective of form. In saying all that Peinaar didn't perform at all for us except one notable outing against Milan. He really didn't deserve his place.

Aside - I believe that Kranjar's best position is the number 10 as backup for VDV, but that's another thread :)

Doubt it. The amount of game time Pienaar got ahead of Kranjcar made it pretty clear that Harry wanted Pienaar, at least in my mind.

You would have thought Harry would have known that too since he had Niko at Portsmouth, shame he was never played in that position

Not sure what this debate is about, lesser version of the Bent one I guess?

Pienaar doesn't fit Spurs style of play

- Everton are a much slower team, built around mostly negating the opponents play (surprise then that Pienaar's best game for Spurs was against AC Milan when we did exactly that).
- Spurs are a fast, counter attacking team, built around subtle passing.
- Every time (or almost) I've seen Pienaar play for Spurs, he was guilty of holding on to the ball too long, not moving it quick enough, slowing the general play down (same brick people used to scream at Keane for at the end of his time at Spurs).

Fact is, modern Spurs is suited to players that naturally are either quick of feet and/or mind, and technically very good, I don't think Pienaar fits any of those categories.

Because a player does well at another club doesn't mean we made a mistake.

You would have thought Harry would have known that too since he had Niko at Portsmouth, shame he was never played in that position

Well, to be fair - we've had VdV for that position over the last 2 years and no manager in their right mind would start Krunchie ahead of him

Well, to be fair - we've had VdV for that position over the last 2 years and no manager in their right mind would start Krunchie ahead of him

Slavan Bilic would. Mainly due to the fact VDV isn't Croatian, but yeah I see your point...

Looks like a stupid decision letting him go back to Everton. Then again, he wasn't performing for us, even going back to last season he hardly had any good games except against Milan in the San Siro.

Fact is, modern Spurs is suited to players that naturally are either quick of feet and/or mind, and technically very good, I don't think Pienaar fits any of those categories.

I believe you are wrong on that Raz and that you are underestimating Pienaar's technical ability.

Back