• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stadium Thread

https://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/afl...utm_term=AFL unveils Millwall stadium designs
1885199_millwallden2_162080.jpg

1885192_millwall1jpg_275479.jpg

Are there any ongoing stadium builds that are close to what we have done? Any other clubs have approved projects?

Are there any ongoing stadium builds that are close to what we have done? Any other clubs have approved projects?
FWIW the Allegiant Stadium also has a moveable pitch that slides under a stand plus it has a transparent roof covering the turf.

Did we miss a trick not having a roof?

I'm no architect, but the support beams for that roof look massively thick (albeit covered by that fantastic-looking wrap-around cladding), and the machinery for opening/closing the roof must take up a lot of space and be pretty complicated to preserve structural integrity.

I'd imagine that it costs a lot, for not all that much added benefit given that most of the cutting-edge stadiums coming up in the US (which have far more permissive planning environments and larger budgets than European sporting projects) seem to not have bothered with it.

However, many of those stadiums are moving forward with retractable pitches, so that tells me we went for that option as our bet for keeping up with contemporary stadium trends.

One thing I do think is of enormous value and will make the new Bernabeu absolutely unique is that gigantic 360-degree multi-functional LCD screen above the floodlights that runs around the whole stadium.

I wish we'd incorporated that into the design, to replace the four tennis-court sized ones at each corner that we have instead. It's just more screen space for digital experiences for events.

One thing I do think is of enormous value and will make the new Bernabeu absolutely unique is that gigantic 360-degree multi-functional LCD screen above the floodlights that runs around the whole stadium.

I wish we'd incorporated that into the design, to replace the four tennis-court sized ones at each corner that we have instead. It's just more screen space for digital experiences for events.
Ugh. I'm so glad we didn't.

Did we miss a trick not having a roof?
No. It would have added another 30-40% to the cost, without adding much else. and if it was to be conscructed within the same footprint (there isn't much more space to go before we're on the high road), capacity would be a lot less, and we'd have to sacrifice the sleek design we now have, to a much bulkier look.

Why not? It might also have led to a small increase in capacity due to the space being opened up in the corners where the big screens now are, even accounting for the extra thickening for roof supports that would be needed.
I think they look awful myself and very “American Las Vegas Style”
We do have tha kind of ribbon around the middle section of the ground but obviously the south gets in the way

Why not? It might also have led to a small increase in capacity due to the space being opened up in the corners where the big screens now are, even accounting for the extra thickening for roof supports that would be needed.
We already have enough extraneous distractions with garish adverts constantly intruding our field of vision throughout the game thank you very much.

At least our present screens have some kind of scale, you can choose to look at them when you want to. Wrap-around screens would be yet another conduit for constantly flashing adverts competing for our attention, except they'd be on another scale again and even more intrusive and OTT than what we already have.

We already have enough extraneous distractions with garish adverts constantly intruding our field of vision throughout the game thank you very much.

At least our present screens have some kind of scale, you can choose to look at them when you want to. Wrap-around screens would be yet another conduit for constantly flashing adverts competing for our attention, except they'd be on another scale again and even more intrusive and OTT than what we already have.

This.

When that 'AIA' advert does the rounds on the ribbon it has to be distracting?...it's garish

And I'm not just saying that because it's red...

I dunno. I was there for the Chelsea game - don't remember noticing the adverts once, and I suspect it would be the same for any potential wrap-around LCD screen. In fact, might be better because it would be mounted above the floodlights - might be even easier to ignore it than the screens, which are directly in your line of sight if you're seated in the majority of the stadium.

Bernabeu2.jpg

And of course, the benefit would be for non-sporting events - having that 360-degree LCD screen would allow for the audience to seamlessly observe events at pitch-level regardless of distance and angle, and so on.

I get your point though mate - and it's definitely a possibility. It might just be that I don't notice the electronic adverts at sports events in general.

Couldn't tell you who advertises on our electronic hoardings now, for instance.

Back