• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs spacegoat

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
Ever since I've watched Spurs we've had a spacegoat; a player who quite unfairly gets the blame for every goal conceded, poor possession stats and the East Lower running out of sausage rolls before half-time.

It appears that Dawson, Rose and Paulinho are currently fighting out for the 2014/5 scpaegoat. Here is a list of the few I can recall:

Jermaine Jenas - for someone who had such a knack of scoring vital goals against the scum Jenas was never taken to by the White Hart Lane faithful; 7 years a Spurs player but never a song about him. His ability to glide 70 or 80 yards was unfortunately complemented with the ability to pass the ball to an opponent. Jenas was a frustration and something of an enigma but the crowd never took to him.

Anthony Gardner - was part of our Circus back 4 circa 2004. Due to his lanky frame he appeared arkward which wasn't great when conceding 3 or 4 a game.

Emmanuel Adebayor - During his first full season in 2012-13 under a new manager Adebayor quickly became the 'ex-gooner lazy mercenary' - a combination of injuries, international duty and lack of form made him a liability for a while but he did play himself into form and then became the antithesis of the AVB era by returning to the team with a bang under Sherwood.

Chris Armstrong - a serious injury cut Armstrong off in his prime after a highly promising first season in 95/6. With Teddy gone he failed to establish a significant strike partnership and despite being more prolific than Iversen and Ferdinand it was Armstrong who attracted the boo-boys at White Hart Lane. After ending a goal drought against Southampton in March 2000 he held his finger to his lip in front of the Paxton Rd end.

Bobby Mimms - not so sure he was a spacegoat but just bloody awful in the 88/89 season.

It comes with expectation imo (or players fans think should have been turned into glue already, aka Daws, Kaboul, etc)...

This season the expectation will be on Lamela BUT I think Soldado will be the spacegoat...

I don't like the whole "he never got a song thing". Football fans aren't the most creative lot and if the player doesn't have a name that's easy to throw into a song then we won't sit around for hours trying to work out what song works best for them.

KD is my spacegoat because of his atrocious OMT. We're not even half way through August and he has already written off our season ](*,)

I think people are already waiting for Soldado to fail just so they can say "I told you so".

Ever since I've watched Spurs we've had a spacegoat; a player who quite unfairly gets the blame for every goal conceded, poor possession stats and the East Lower running out of sausage rolls before half-time.
he held his finger to his lip in front of the Paxton Rd end.

Top post mate. One of the most infuriating things I find about going to WHL. I can only go once in a while, these days once every couple of months or so, and I absolutely despise the fat Stans who straight from the off lay into Jenas or Gylfi and you just know they do it week in, week out. Should be kicked out by the stewards because the sections I sit in are reserved for Tottenham SUPPORTERS.

Back in the mid-90s I could only go about once a year. I remember once seeing Stuart Nethercott getting all sorts of grief, whilst Ruel Fox couldn't put a foot wrong. He came over to take a corner and got the whole "we're not worthy" business. A year later Fox is getting the stick and the same fans are drooling over Ginola. Fox passes sideways to a Tottenham player and he is "wasteful" whilst Ginola beats four players to lose the ball at the fifth and......"we're not worthy".....

This season I would say Rose won't get enough games to be satisfy Fat Stans bile. It'll be one of the other fellas who have been there for a little while, and don't weigh in with many goals (because thats all Fat Stan understands). Plus someone who gets on or near the ball a lot; it's hard to barrack a striker who is never near the ball.

I make poor old Paulinho hot favourite.

David Bentley - I remember getting alot of stick but that was mainly justified.

Jermaine Jenas - Wasn't as bad as the above but it was still quite laborious watching him.

Scott Parker - Used to get blamed alot, had a spell where he was justly spacegoated but on the whole I feel he did quite well for us.

Jermaine Jenas - Wasn't as bad as the above but it was still quite laborious watching him.

Scott Parker - Used to get blamed alot, had a spell where he was justly spacegoated but on the whole I feel he did quite well for us.
The fans attitude to Jenas in the stadium stank. I am convinced that us getting on his back was a contributing factor in him not fulfilling his potential

I think there's a difference between messageboards and being at the ground. Soldado and Dawson always seem very well-received at WHL - they are more tragic (Soldado with his confidence, Dawson with his struggle with the demands of modern systems) than hapless cases. Even Defoe, who has my spacegoat for a decade, was popular in the stadium.

For me this season Rose is the outstanding poor player and Dembele is by far the most frustrating.

Naughton, Soldado and Paulinho will need to work hard to turn things around, but I actually think they all have a decent chance (though Naughton might not have the fight now his successor has been signed).

Scott Parker was a lot like Dembele actually. For all his decent defensive work, his Davros thing just stifled any hope of quick transitions

If Rose wins the starting position. Which based on his pre-season form i think will happen then it will be him. If Davies starts then it will be Naughton as walker is injured.

Can't say Soldado has been much of a spacegoat, least not yet. Wouldn't say the same about Dembele either.

But yes, there has always been a spacegoat but doesn't every club have their own? Pretty sure it's more of a football fan problem than Spurs. Have hard many United, Liverpool and Chelsea ones down the year. Can't really think of an Arsenal one but sure there's loads if I was to think about it. Maybe Wenger in recent years?

The fans attitude to Jenas in the stadium stank. I am convinced that us getting on his back was a contributing factor in him not fulfilling his potential

Agreed, never before has a player scored so many against Arsenal to still be ill received. Always thought he was decent myself and though not spectacular every game don't think he was by any means a key reason in us failing to get top four during his time.

Last edited:
I think there's a difference between messageboards and being at the ground. Soldado and Dawson always seem very well-received at WHL - they are more tragic (Soldado with his confidence, Dawson with his struggle with the demands of modern systems) than hapless cases. Even Defoe, who has my spacegoat for a decade, was popular in the stadium.

For me this season Rose is the outstanding poor player and Dembele is by far the most frustrating.

Naughton, Soldado and Paulinho will need to work hard to turn things around, but I actually think they all have a decent chance (though Naughton might not have the fight now his successor has been signed).

Actually very true for the current player set, it's more of an keyboard warrior issue

Jenas however would cause groans at WHL at his name/sub being announced.

Back