• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Southern Rail

Every single year we get told the fare increases are needed to pay for improvements to the service.
But if the service needs continuous improvements, then why are we paying extortionate fares for a service that needs improving? Catch 22.

Every single year we get told the fare increases are needed to pay for improvements to the service.
But if the service needs continuous improvements, then why are we paying extortionate fares for a service that needs improving? Catch 22.

Mostly, it’s because all of the extra money ends up being handed over to DfT in fines for late running trains (as per franchise contracts, written by DfT) because Network Rail (also DfT) fudged up the metal/overhead lines/drainage/leaf clearance.

We normally try and organise things like you suggest , get the first cheap train in the morning (after 930ish) and when coming back later have dinner before getting the train back so to get those cheaper late trains. Work doesn't always allow for this though.

As for going up for the footie...I always dread looking at the trains in advance as Southern (or SouthWest) have endless engineering works at the weekends meaning a 90 Min journey turns into a 2.5 hour journey with some soul destroying bus replacement service. There has even been Sat or Sun where both Southern AND South West have EWorks.:mad:

I suppose at least I have the option of another operator, unlike you?

When you are on the cheap tickets it is good value, and I'd rather do the train than drive.

Yep pretty much stuck with Southern though the Gatwick express goes all the way down to Brighton so we can go that way. But of course we get the bloody bus replacement thing.

Now what we tend to do is drive to either Haywards Heath or Pulborough and depending which branch of the line is shut off we get the other into Victoria. The have been rumours of a complete shut down of the whole southern network for a once in a generation upgrade for 2 weeks.

Im lucky I only really go for football and occasional meeting of a friend. When we do the theatre we usually stay over night and it is cheaper to park in a hotel then do two days worth of train tickets for two people.

Like you we have got back to Victoria from a day out and had to go up to the food court for something to eat to wait for the first train after 7pm.

Yep pretty much stuck with Southern though the Gatwick express goes all the way down to Brighton so we can go that way. But of course we get the bloody bus replacement thing.

Now what we tend to do is drive to either Haywards Heath or Pulborough and depending which branch of the line is shut off we get the other into Victoria. The have been rumours of a complete shut down of the whole southern network for a once in a generation upgrade for 2 weeks.

Im lucky I only really go for football and occasional meeting of a friend. When we do the theatre we usually stay over night and it is cheaper to park in a hotel then do two days worth of train tickets for two people.

Like you we have got back to Victoria from a day out and had to go up to the food court for something to eat to wait for the first train after 7pm.

That new development over the road from the Station entrance (Victoria Rd) and another bit sort of connected to it (Cardinal Place) is fully open with all kinds of places to eat and drink.

We don't go up to town much, sometimes i think i'll drive to the footie but its such a BAD idea, plus the train gives me 3hrs time to catch up with stuff that the car never gives me. Night games are tricky as the last Victoria train is at 10.30ish so have to do Havant otherwise im bolloxed.

That new development over the road from the Station entrance (Victoria Rd) and another bit sort of connected to it (Cardinal Place) is fully open with all kinds of places to eat and drink.

We don't go up to town much, sometimes i think i'll drive to the footie but its such a BAD idea, plus the train gives me 3hrs time to catch up with stuff that the car never gives me. Night games are tricky as the last Victoria train is at 10.30ish so have to do Havant otherwise im bolloxed.

Cardinal Place? the are some good places in there, the wife like Cafe Rouge so we go to Cafe Rouge.

Back