• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Southern Rail

What a shock? Government agency supports government agenda. Lots of provisos in there anyway, words such as 'adequate' and 'if' etc.

Yep which goes to show it is not a fully loaded one sided report, its far from a full bill of health but says if they make the changes its good to go.

Thats good enough for me, I will let the experts have the say on health and safety not the staff.

What a shock? Government agency supports government agenda. Lots of provisos in there anyway, words such as 'adequate' and 'if' etc.

I saw something on the news last night ( and i was busy doing something so i may have heard it wrong), they said that a report had been made saying that the system would be safe if the changes are made. Then it went on to say that the agency who made the report is funded by the rail company's who are wanting the change.

What a surprise ( not).

I saw something on the news last night ( and i was busy doing something so i may have heard it wrong), they said that a report had been made saying that the system would be safe if the changes are made. Then it went on to say that the agency who made the report is funded by the rail company's who are wanting the change.

What a surprise ( not).

We pay for our company to be made Health and Safety ready as its our responsibility to do so. No difference

Ian Prosser the Director of railway safety has declared DOO safe, he has done so personally, I can not see this guy signing off on something as the Director of railway safety if there was risk to safety, he would be in a world of pain if anything happened.

"Trains with doors operated by drivers (known in the industry as ‘Driver Only Operation’) have been in operation in Great Britain for more than 30 years. ORR has scrutinised this approach, and our inspectors are satisfied that with suitable equipment, proper procedures and competent staff in place, it is a safe method of working."

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...driver-only-operation-report-january-2017.pdf

Read the report in full, it makes sense of alot of issues including drivers being able to observe platforms longer than a guard can...

So are you saying? that your company have funded the company that has made the report that your wanted.
Constantly.

We pay our insurers to sign off on our lifting/pressurised equipment, we pay a consultant for fire risk assessments, we pay DSEAR experts to assess us, the list goes on. All of these people are paid by us to produce a report that grades us on safety.

Yep which goes to show it is not a fully loaded one sided report, its far from a full bill of health but says if they make the changes its good to go.

Thats good enough for me, I will let the experts have the say on health and safety not the staff.

Yeah, what would the workers know about their own job?

Very little at the managerial/strategic level, that's why they're not management or directors.

You make a good point, however that also works in reverse and the managerial/strategic level have no idea what it is like at the workplace ( seeing as most of them have probably never got their hands dirty). So i guess they get their knowledge by asking for a report from a source they fund. That does sound fair.

You make a good point, however that also works in reverse and the managerial/strategic level have no idea what it is like at the workplace ( seeing as most of them have probably never got their hands dirty). So i guess they get their knowledge by asking for a report from a source they fund. That does sound fair.
None of it really matters anyway as if passengers deem it to be unsafe then they'll vote with their feet.

As far as I can tell passengers are almost unanimously behind the changes.

I have done several different jobs in my life in several different industries and I feel very strongly that people should work if they have accepted a job with a company, I allow a few days a year for heavy colds and longer periods for cancer and stuff.

In my working life the ones I have met you would play the health and safety concern were always the people who would do anything to get out of actual work. I was always a result guy stemming from my time on the building sites were if I did not work I did not get paid. I found the ones who would try to play the health and safety card were always the same ones who would try and make the fire drill last longer so they did not have to do work, just my experience after 35 years working.

Don't resort to logic, it totally bamboozles them.

Scara answer pretty much covered it. This is point of view debate not personal, no need to be an arsehole

Logic seems fine but you ignore it more than anyone or claim it to be one big conspiracy so as you like logic let's stick to it:

- Jobs secured by contract for Southern Staff, offer on the table contractually makes job secure.

- Drivers have been given pay rises

- DOO approved by watchdog for rail safety

- Head of Aslef signed off on 12 train DOO changes to Thameslink in 2011 so the H&S card is redundant on several front.

- DOO Figures on safety are vast improvement on the later Guard system

- DOO has been in place for 30 years on some lines and has done so successfully.
- Only people losing jobs are joe public, Southern staff have not lost their job

And finally speaking from personal point, if these strikes were about Jobs I would be backing the strikes and I would in future if Southern renegade on the deal, but this is about job comfort not loss or H&S.

None of it really matters anyway as if passengers deem it to be unsafe then they'll vote with their feet.

As far as I can tell passengers are almost unanimously behind the changes.

I doubt that very much, for some they have no other choice but to use the railway.

I doubt that very much, for some they have no other choice but to use the railway.

I agree with that as you trust those you travel with (ala Planes) but like myself if the public deem it to be about job lose they would back the Union, I would, but I am happy to back the deal on the table as fact as the union are not fighting back with fact, just opinion.

My dad told me that many years ago, possibly the early 50's bus drivers went on an extended strike. The public were at that time heavily reliant on these services.

Anyway the upshot was that loads of people ended up buying their own cars and motorbikes and the bus service declined rapidly from then on as the public altered their behaviour.

This time round the railway ructions might could result in the long overdue standardisation of home/agile working.

Would benefit everyone that.

I agree with Soutrhern that it makes no sense to update the technology and pay for modern trains and not take advantage of what they have paid for.

Back