• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

With all due respect, you do realise he just transferred from a top German Champions League club to a club not in the Champions League...

And there are two other well established Koreans in Lee Chung Yong and Ki Sung Yong already playing in the premier league right now...

No one is exactly going mental. It's more a sense of unexpected surprise.

I didn't need a history about current Koreans in the Premier League cheers.

Thanks for the last line which answered my question.

So where does he fit in the starting lineup? Off the left of Kane or off the right? Honestly, the number of videos I have seen of him smashing it in off of either flank has me guessing, especially as we have seen Chadli deployed more on the right these last few games (a LWF before signing for us).

To each his own. SHM along with Ki Sung Yong were the reasons why Korea made it to the finals. Son was deadly in front of goal. And our new German coach made him take on much more defensive responsibilities out on the left wing than I would have liked. If he had played more as an inverted left forward, he would have played much better imo. Optically, his play would have looked much more dynamic as well.

Regardless, he made sure to score at vital moments, and I thought he did a tremendous defensive job as well.

That being said, whether it was the impending move or something else, he hasn't been in great form during pre-season and in the two matches at the start of this season.

Thanks Hodori. I hope he is extremely successful here! Knowing what you know about the EPL, how do you think he will settle in the UK?

Thanks Hodori. I hope he is extremely successful here! Knowing what you know about the EPL, how do you think he will settle in the UK?
I think there definitely will be a transition period of sorts. Since he's been in Germany since the age of 17 and is fluent in German, I think his transition would be more similar to a young German player moving to England than to another Korean player making the same move.

He's also going to be in London, which will help with his transition. There's a larger Korean diaspora, and there are two Korean internationals playing in West London to help with his transition as well.

At both HSV and Leverkusen, he was very close with his teammates as he has a very outgoing personality. If he strikes a good friendship with someone like Harry Kane, who similar in age, he should settle in nicely. I think his English is conversant enough with a heavy Germanic accent, so he should, hopefully, become fluent soon. He also seemed popular with the German media due to his personality and fluency, so I'm curious to see how he settles in that respect in London.

As for playing style, I think the faster pace of the English game suits him. There are some deficiencies in his game that Schmidt's system exposed at Leverkusen. He'll still need to work on those, but with pace being so heavily emphasised in England and with Eriksen creating chances, his weaknesses may actually be disguised better in England. So aside from pace, in terms of strength, he has incredibly thick legs. But I think he'll need to keep developing his upper body a little more, but that is something he needed to work on anyway in Germany.

I'm slightly worried as he hasn't been in great form when I watched him in June for the World Cup qualifiers and during his pre-season. The first match against Hoffenheim wasn't that great either. He seemed nonchalant with his off the ball movements and initiating the early press. At the same time, Pochettino's system is somewhat similar and in many ways, much less demanding than Schmidt's system. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

So where does he fit in the starting lineup? Off the left of Kane or off the right? Honestly, the number of videos I have seen of him smashing it in off of either flank has me guessing, especially as we have seen Chadli deployed more on the right these last few games (a LWF before signing for us).
His preferred position is playing off the left. However, he'll drift and switch wings.

I think there definitely will be a transition period of sorts. Since he's been in Germany since the age of 17 and is fluent in German, I think his transition would be more similar to a young German player moving to England than to another Korean player making the same move.

He's also going to be in London, which will help with his transition. There's a larger Korean diaspora, and there are two Korean internationals playing in West London to help with his transition as well.

At both HSV and Leverkusen, he was very close with his teammates as he has a very outgoing personality. If he strikes a good friendship with someone like Harry Kane, who similar in age, he should settle in nicely. I think his English is conversant enough with a heavy Germanic accent, so he should, hopefully, become fluent soon. He also seemed popular with the German media due to his personality and fluency, so I'm curious to see how he settles in that respect in London.

As for playing style, I think the faster pace of the English game suits him. There are some deficiencies in his game that Schmidt's system exposed at Leverkusen. He'll still need to work on those, but with pace being so heavily emphasised in England and with Eriksen creating chances, his weaknesses may actually be disguised better in England. So aside from pace, in terms of strength, he has incredibly thick legs. But I think he'll need to keep developing his upper body a little more, but that is something he needed to work on anyway in Germany.

I'm slightly worried as he hasn't been in great form when I watched him in June for the World Cup qualifiers and during his pre-season. The first match against Hoffenheim wasn't that great either. He seemed nonchalant with his off the ball movements and initiating the early press. At the same time, Pochettino's system is somewhat similar and in many ways, much less demanding than Schmidt's system. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Great insight. Thank you! I'm hoping he will be a star!

ghana.gif

enthusiasm.gif

vhpy.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! GET IN MY SON!

Suffice it to say, I'm very happy with this signing. :D

Now sign a DM.

giphy.gif

ghana.gif

enthusiasm.gif

vhpy.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! GET IN MY SON!

Suffice it to say, I'm very happy with this signing. :D

Now sign a DM.

giphy.gif

I know we are weak there but having one striker in the whole club is clearly the priority - please dont say Son and Chadli are adequate back up for kane

Reactions: DTA
So aside from pace, in terms of strength, he has incredibly thick legs. But I think he'll need to keep developing his upper body a little more, but that is something he needed to work on anyway in Germany.

Messi, Modric....Lennon :) It can be a attribute of some players, great lower body strength and a smaller upper body frame which keeps them light and agile. It can work! I'm chuffed. I hope its Lamela leaving rather than Eriksen. As we have too many players with NJ, Pritchard, Townsend, Chadli, Lamela,

He clearly looks a good player, we have paid quite a lot for him so it is clearly a gamble. However the fact he has pace and a directness means he should be a big improvement on what we currently have. It seems as though he has weaknesses too so let's hope this is a Poch signing and he knows how and what to address from an early stage.

As i said before another striker is key as the whole situation is still farcical. I still think Berhaino should be the one (even at 25m) but I am getting desperate and would reluctantly accept Austin as a flat out back-up for kane.

A DM is a priority too and I dont see Wanyama being allowed to join us so that is the area where we will probably be very light and weak.

If we could somehow pull off Wanyama and Berhaino then fair play the window hasnt been a shocker in terms of recruiting. I dont see that happening though

I know we are weak there but having one striker in the whole club is clearly the priority - please dont say Son and Chadli are adequate back up for kane

Perhaps one more would be helpful, but really, I think we're approaching an optimum level up there. The idea was likely never to have a straight back-up to Kane anyway (beyond a squad signing a la Danny Graham, perhaps): I suspect the idea was to have a stable of lightning-quick wide forwards to play with Kane (N'Jie and Son are bits of evidence of that), with Chadli subsequently rotating into being a simultaneous back-up for both Kane and that left-wing spot, since he has the physical attributes Kane does and (mostly) the same skills and technique.

Perhaps one more would be helpful, but really, I think we're approaching an optimum level up there. The idea was likely never to have a straight back-up to Kane anyway (beyond a squad signing a la Danny Graham, perhaps): I suspect the idea was to have a stable of lightning-quick wide forwards to play with Kane (N'Jie and Son are bits of evidence of that), with Chadli subsequently rotating into being a simultaneous back-up for both Kane and that left-wing spot, since he has the physical attributes Kane does and (mostly) the same skills and technique.

You saying that supprises me, I'm a fan of chadli, was from the off when people were slating him, but I have seen nothing to suggest he can lead the line.

Back