• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

I can see there being an argument to maximising his sale value with national service looking increasingly likely.

Better to sell a season early than a season late.

Odd one really

He is loving life at spurs and has had a second top season... why would we even contemplate selling

The national service thing, plus if we are after Martial and get him maybe Poch feels thats an upgrade.

I don't want Sonny to leave though. Top lad, great attitude and even if he can frustrate at times he has shown enough ability and scored plenty of goals to be considered a vital member of the squad

Has everyone seen the rather good Reddit post about how the national service stuff actually works? It doesn't look promising unless SK win the Asian games or take a medal in the 2020 Olympics. Apparently, and contrary to reports I had previously trusted, the WC wouldn't have counted. Also, because he started high school but didn't finish, he'll get a fairly crappy two years of it.

Has everyone seen the rather good Reddit post about how the national service stuff actually works? It doesn't look promising unless SK win the Asian games or take a medal in the 2020 Olympics. Apparently, and contrary to reports I had previously trusted, the WC wouldn't have counted. Also, because he started high school but didn't finish, he'll get a fairly crappy two years of it.

The team that got WC semis were given an exemption I’m sure

The team that got WC semis were given an exemption I’m sure

I thought that. Apparently not. Only multi-sport events count, because otherwise baseball players get an unfair advantage over other athletes (South Koreans being massively into rounders. A chacun son gout). I can try and find the link if you like, it was posted in full on SC as well.

I thought that. Apparently not. Only multi-sport events count, because otherwise baseball players get an unfair advantage over other athletes (South Koreans being massively into rounders. A chacun son gout). I can try and find the link if you like, it was posted in full on SC as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-cup-south-korea-military-service-asian-games

Says here they did

And here
https://www.dailysabah.com/football...gles-to-avoid-military-service-in-south-korea

It was by presidential decree

It doesn't in the body copy, oddly. Also, who would trust a Guardian hack to get that sort of detail 100% right? It's been baffling Spurs boards for ages, and we have rather more of a vested interest, and more time on our hands, than a journo tasked with getting twenty pieces of World Cup content up on the CMS before they are unchained from their desk and released to the pub.

It seems harsh to not allow a time extension when someone is in a career with limited years (i.e. an athlete).

2 years away from football could be the end of playing at the top level.

Considering how much exposure he's given SK, and how good an ambassador he's been for the country it's pretty c*ntish to demand he stops playing football.

It seems harsh to not allow a time extension when someone is in a career with limited years (i.e. an athlete).

2 years away from football could be the end of playing at the top level.

Considering how much exposure he's given SK, and how good an ambassador he's been for the country it's pretty c*ntish to demand he stops playing football.

From a propaganda side of things (as that's the only reason to enforce it) making him do it is probably very beneficial "we are all in this together, we are all equal and everyone has to do it"

From a propaganda side of things (as that's the only reason to enforce it) making him do it is probably very beneficial "we are all in this together, we are all equal and everyone has to do it"
But people aren't equal - everyone knows that. Even in countries where everything is run by propaganda.

Yep.The sensible workaround, surely, would be to allow anyone to defer their service until the age of 37, but with an extra month of service added on for every year (or six months, maybe) of deferment. That way, deferment would be the patriotic option.

yep but they want proper soldiers as they feel they need the army at the moment due to the nutter to the North - military service is not just a social construct there.

yep but they want proper soldiers as they feel they need the army at the moment due to the nutter to the North - military service is not just a social construct there.

37 year olds can manage a bit of hardship. It's us 40-somethings that you wouldn't want in the front line. Anyway, if it's athletes that mainly take advantage, they'd presumably still be pretty fit in their mid-thirties.

Well who is going to buy him if Spurs have decided to sell knowing that he has this national service thing coming up in a few years?

I wouldn't risk expecting S Korea to win the Asian games. They are a poor team if this world cup is anything to go by.

What a predicament

As is the law in South Korea, he owes 21 months of military service and is due to begin his stint before he turns 28.
That's July 2020, so he can play another two seasons for us.

Before that he's got the Asiad (last two weeks of August 2018, which SK won last time), and the Asian Cup (all of January 2019, but the PL now has a winter break - SK were runners up last time).
If he was to do the military service, he misses the 2022 World Cup and qualifying, which doesn't sound beneficial to SK?
I can't see anyone paying a large transfer fee to have him for 2 years, so I'd guess he stays with us no matter what?

Could winning the CL be seen as worthy of exemption?:cool:

Back