• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Shark thread

awesome dawson

Mitchell Thomas
These creatures have always fascinated me. Great whites in particular interest me but there's a plethora of information (good and mostly bad) online about them. In Australia the focus is mainly on how they are waiting to eat a swimmer or surfer which is simply wrong. We have about two deaths a year in Australia which given people are in the sea every day in the thousands means sharks are simply not interested in attacking people.

Amazing footage of a species which remains extremely deep feeding on a whale carcass;

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-...the-moment-giant-sharks-attack-crew-submarine

Yeah but what about sand sharks? Statistically you are more likely to be killed by one of these scary monsters while putting on your Speedo's, than after you hit the water.

And the mega shark is just downright dangerous!

Don't really care much for sharks, what have they done for me lately?

We only have one shark in Norway, and it's not even called a shark, it's called an old woman (or a b!tch, roughly the same word in Norway).

You guys probably call it a Greenland shark, which is even more rude than b!tch considering the shark's eating disorder making it look like the size of Greenland.

haakjerring.jpg

Yeah but what about sand sharks? Statistically you are more likely to be killed by one of these scary monsters while putting on your Speedo's, than after you hit the water.

And the mega shark is just downright dangerous!

Don't really care much for sharks, what have they done for me lately?

We only have one shark in Norway, and it's not even called a shark, it's called an old woman (or a b!tch, roughly the same word in Norway).

You guys probably call it a Greenland shark, which is even more rude than b!tch considering the shark's eating disorder making it look like the size of Greenland.

haakjerring.jpg
I have to watch Sand Sharks now (preferably when drunk)

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!

Since as long as I can remember I have devoured any piece of information, book, VHS (back in the day), documentaries about these wonderful, incredible feats of nature. I used to be able to reel off the most obscure stats about them but haven't really followed up in recent times. They really are fascinating animals, and even the biggest shark experts around the world will tell you they haven't even scratched the surface on knowledge of sharks.

I'm still holding out hope that Carcharodon Megalodon is still prowling the deep depths of the ocean.

Plenty of places in the world to view great whites, which is a 'must do' experience.

Number one on my bucket list is to dive in open water with a Great White. Appreciate that might not be possible unless by chance. However I've been looking into these tours, they have a great success rate and offer a cage where you can venture onto the 'deck' of the cage up top, with no cage separating you from the sharks!

http://www.guadalupegreatwhitesharks.com/

Number one on my bucket list is to dive in open water with a Great White. Appreciate that might not be possible unless by chance. However I've been looking into these tours, they have a great success rate and offer a cage where you can venture onto the 'deck' of the cage up top, with no cage separating you from the sharks!

http://www.guadalupegreatwhitesharks.com/

I looked in Guadalupe once because it's known for being the best visibility location for great whites. Expensive!

I cage dived in Gansbaai near Cape Town and it's affordable there but the water was quite green which reduces visibility to about ten metres max. Still an amazing experience. Some of the free diving videos with great whites are nuts. Very misunderstood creatures. Hate how the media portray them as killing machines.

upload_2017-11-15_12-56-31.png

Looks to me an average of two deaths a year from sharks attacks. Considering the amount of people in the sea everyday all around this massive island, that's not a lot. Bondi beach alone has 30,000 people on it during busy summer days.

Only a couple of Aussies per year, bloody sharks need to up their game ;)

How long has Australia been putting out the shark nets?

100 million a year seems a little unlikely, do they even reproduce that quickly? Unless there's something in the shark family which is caught in huge numbers that skews the figure.

100 million a year seems a little unlikely, do they even reproduce that quickly? Unless there's something in the shark family which is caught in huge numbers that skews the figure.
Dogfish

Shark finning is widespread and uses huge nets to dredge the ocean. Chinese believe it cures impotency and cancer. Both of which have zero truth. Fcuking disgusting practice.

Shark nets are rarely used in Australia but they aren't the problem of the solution. Sharks can swim under or around nets, they just provide a sense of safety for the public.

south-china-morning-post-sea-shepherd.jpg

I'm amazed that their numbers could withstand that amount of culling, given they reproduce quite slowly (in fish terms) as I understand it.

We really are an unpleasant species.

Shark nets are rarely used in Australia
I thought there was a fair bit of debate about them, due to how many other creatures end up dead in them.

I looked in Guadalupe once because it's known for being the best visibility location for great whites. Expensive!

I cage dived in Gansbaai near Cape Town and it's affordable there but the water was quite green which reduces visibility to about ten metres max. Still an amazing experience. Some of the free diving videos with great whites are nuts. Very misunderstood creatures. Hate how the media portray them as killing machines.

I am incredibly jealous! Glad you had a great experience. Absolutely agree with the last bit.

Back