• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Share Dealing

southstand1882

Mitchell Thomas
Let's see if we can make 10%-30% gains each month on a small portfolio.

July picks on Sunday 1st July, for trading on Monday.

This will be a virtual portfolio, so don't put any money on it.

It's an experiment.

Last edited:
Let's see if we can make 10%-30% gains each month on a small portfolio.

July picks on Sunday 1st July, for trading on Monday.

This will be a virtual portfolio, so don't put any money on it.

It's an experiment.

Why don't you use www.bullbearings.co.uk it's a virtual stock market that mimicks the UK stockmarket in real time.

You start with £100k

Best of luck you two.

£1k to charity, lets see it happen.

Warren Buffet famously said "try to be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful"

I would suggest that most investors are very scared of the following sectors right now:

Banks - this is obvious. the last week has seen billions wiped off the value of high street banks
Mining - people are avoiding because of a slowing global economy and fears over China's growth
Oil & Gas - oil prices have tumbled, there are emergency OPEC meetings being called for

So with that in mind I've gone for the following portfolio, along with prices as of market close on Friday:

Barclays PLC 166.05 (-30.78%)
Royal Bank of Scotland 210.98 (-22.11%)
Xstrata PLC 809.69 (-25.22%) - this one is very high risk as its subject to a takeover, which if fails, could bring it down 20%
Petropavlovsk PLC 455.60 (-18.2%)
Aurelian Oil & Gas PLC 14.25 (-28.79%)
Gulf Keystone Petroleum 151.41 (-42.27%)
Man Group Plc 75.21 (-43.51%)

Figures in brackets show how far these equities have dropped in the last 3 months.

I'll post an update on any gains or losses once a week.

So are we doing a mean average of the gains/losses?

I can see the Glencore / Xstrata deal going south due Shareholder unrest over pay.

Barclays looks cheap over the medium term. But I reckon this Libor sandal has some way to run.

Interesting mix though.

So are we doing a mean average of the gains/losses?

I can see the Glencore / Xstrata deal going south due Shareholder unrest over pay.

Barclays looks cheap over the medium term. But I reckon this Libor sandal has some way to run.

Interesting mix though.

Personally, if I were investing in this portfolio, I'd probably leave it untouched for a good 1-3 years!!

It's extremely high risk. I wouldn't have the minerals to invest in it for real!! (except Petro which should hit £10-£12)

If Xstrata merger does breakdown, I'll definitely pump some real money into them if they hit say £6.50!

Personally, if I were investing in this portfolio, I'd probably leave it untouched for a good 1-3 years!!

It's extremely high risk. I wouldn't have the minerals to invest in it for real!! (except Petro which should hit £10-£12)

If Xstrata merger does breakdown, I'll definitely pump some real money into them if they hit say £6.50!

So these aren't shares you'd buy normally when you make 10-30 percent monthly gains?

On that point u do realise but even starting with say £1000 you would be getting lot if month quickly with 20 percent monthly gains?

Agreed on the mean average?

So these aren't shares you'd buy normally when you make 10-30 percent monthly gains?

On that point u do realise but even starting with say £1000 you would be getting lot if month quickly with 20 percent monthly gains?

Agreed on the mean average?

Not necessarily, but only because I would take into account dividends as well as capital gains

Some equities will pay you 8% in regular dividends just to hold their stock!

I still like the ones I've picked, but I probably wouldn't have gone for Xstrata or the banks just yet (as they could fall further before a massive rebound)

But for the purpose of this experiment, lets just calculate the mean price increase (or decrease!!!) as you suggest

Is there not an online trading game in real time that you can enter for fun a bit like dreamteam football?

29vzzvt.png

Boom!

Off to a good start

Back