• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

And the vast majority of us would have been overjoyed with that at the beginning of the season, I never expected us to win the Prem and I would rather look at the progress we have made this season then bemoan what has happened in the last couple of games.
We've made some fantastic progress and I'll be delighted with third and all that goes with it. CL qualification, our change in mentality, our style of play, etc but the Arsenal thing is nagging me too. Maybe not as much as most, but I would to love not to have to hear or read the whole Spurs bottled line it again.

We've made some fantastic progress and I'll be delighted with third and all that goes with it. CL qualification, our change in mentality, our style of play, etc but the Arsenal thing is nagging me too. Maybe not as much as most, but I would to love not to have to hear or read the whole Spurs bottled line it again.

I hear what you are saying but personally I do not give a brick about the Arse or what they do or not do. All I care about is doing as well as we can and taking it from there. As for reading about Spurs bottling it again I rarely take any notice about what some dingdonghead in the papers or on the radio say about us.

I really want us to finish ahead of Arsenal, just to end their run of finishing ahead of us. But it's not the make or break point of the season. 3rd is a success for us this season however people try to spin it.

of course - but if someone told you at the beginning of the season you could have 85 points or 70, what would you take?

where you finish in the table is down to how other teams perform in relation to how you have, the more points you get the better 38 games you have had, so it's a decent yard stick to measure personal improvement.

however i do think with the rise in TV money and the improvement of the middling teams the average points totals at the top of the league is going to fall - though time will tell on that one but i don't think the top 4 will run away with the league as they have done in the past

It's good to see Spurs regularly getting around 70pts per season for the first time the 1980s but (like you say) managers are somewhat at the mercy of the vagaries of our rivals as to what league position the team finishes in...

Of course the more points you get, the likelier you are to gain a good league finish, but I disagree that looking at your points total is a decent yard stick to measure against. Final league position is the one and only yardstick that concerns me. We have gone from the 5th/6th best team in the league for the past 3 seasons to the 2nd/3rd best team in the league this season.

Even if we finish the season on 70pts and slip to 3rd spot, it'll still be Spurs best league campaign in over a quarter of a century and I'm confident Pochettino will ensure we build upon it.

Unlike a couple of other clubs who also came close to ending their wait for the title in recent years...

Wouldn't you of loved to have had a bet with a scouser in 2009; 'Bet we finish above you the next four years'.

Actually, I had a running bet with one Liverpool-fan for three years, a bottle of whisky on whoever finished higher. He stopped taking my calls after 2013. Unfortunately for him, as he would be due one bottle back then. :)

Weird that AVB's points total for 5th in 2013 is likely going to be more than we'll need for 2nd this season.
Not really.... The 'cannon fodder' type teams have all been able to up their game due to the new huge TV contract. Previously clubs like West Ham or West Brom would never have been able to sign players such as Payet or Rondon. Our bottom 5 teams can now pay significantly higher wages than all other than any club in The Netherlands or Belgium, any other than 4 or 5 clubs in Germany, any other than 3 or 4 in Italy, any other than the top 4 or 5 in Spain and all other than PSG in France. The standard of the pack has increased hence the points are shared more equally.

And the vast majority of us would have been overjoyed with that at the beginning of the season, I never expected us to win the Prem and I would rather look at the progress we have made this season then bemoan what has happened in the last couple of games.

Can do both you know.

I hear what you are saying but personally I do not give a brick about the Arse or what they do or not do. All I care about is doing as well as we can and taking it from there. As for reading about Spurs bottling it again I rarely take any notice about what some dingdonghead in the papers or on the radio say about us.

I'm in North London. I have extended family that are gooners. I have mates and associates that are gooners.
As petty and small mindedness it may be to you and some others on here, but I want me some bragging rights for the first time in two decades.

I'm in North London. I have extended family that are gooners. I have mates and associates that are gooners.
As petty and small mindedness it may be to you and some others on here, but I want me some bragging rights for the first time in two decades.

I'm a Northern monkey so dont have the same bragging rights, but believe me finally nailing this 'finishing above Arsenal' has to be done this season. Not since lasagnegate has it been in our our hands on the last day.
It wont define our season, but finishing 3rd wont half feel a little deflating.

Hopefully for once, recent history might be on our side. They have won at our place in the league for the last3 seasons, but for the previous two years we have won in the reverse fixture, lets complete the hat-trick

I'm a Northern monkey so dont have the same bragging rights, but believe me finally nailing this 'finishing above Arsenal' has to be done this season. Not since lasagnegate has it been in our our hands on the last day.
It wont define our season, but finishing 3rd wont half feel a little deflating.

Hopefully for once, recent history might be on our side. They have won at our place in the league for the last3 seasons, but for the previous two years we have won in the reverse fixture, lets complete the hat-trick

I hope you're right and we can go on and complete the hat-trick but I have this nagging feeling that Sunderland will suck it up tomorrow night and the pressure will be cranked up for the weekend. Had we got our point on Sunday vs Southampton, we could've now been enjoying this week. The Arse should've been walking out on the Etihad pitch deflated knowing they couldn't catch us.

I hope you're right and we can go on and complete the hat-trick but I have this nagging feeling that Sunderland will suck it up tomorrow night and the pressure will be cranked up for the weekend. Had we got our point on Sunday vs Southampton, we could've now been enjoying this week. The Arse should've been walking out on the Etihad pitch deflated knowing they couldn't catch us.
If we had got a point then Arsenal would've been walking out on to the pitch knowing that they could still catch us if they won against City.

Please finish above the scum. Im fed up of that Red and white brick having the bragging rights. The last time we finished above them Lineker was playing for us for gods sake.

Yes we have a massive bright future. Yes im super happy with the season. But the players better understand what this means to us as fans. The chelski players did and turned up for one game. They need to put their all in this weekend and then take a break.

Please finish above the scum. Im fed up of that Red and white bricke having the bragging rights. The last time we finished above them Lineker was playing for us for gods sake.

Yes we have a massive bright future. Yes im super happy with the season. But the players better understand what this means to us as fans. The chelski players did and turned up for one game. They need to put their all in this weekend and then take a break.

I think you're mistaking this with beating Chelski at Stamford Bridge...

Fair enough and I have no problem with those that think of the Arse all the time, but to me is just as daft as those who winge about us having red on our shirts.

I think you're mistaking this with beating Chelski at Stamford Bridge...
Maybe.

I remember it though. It went to the last game of the season. They lost at Norwich or we beat Norwich. To pip them to 3rd. Lineker was in the team and was the leagues top scorer.

Back