1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Serge Aurier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by milo, 31 Aug 2017.

1. Raziel

Raziel Nick Barmby

No disagreement, but two comments

- Walker & Rose (of that vintage) have been gone for 3 years now and we haven't found an adequate replacement
    - The lack of prioritization of a FB in this summer was quite amazing (seems we knew our targets early and they didn't really have a emphasis there)

So my commentary is, if you could replace them, then great, however if 3 years in you haven't perhaps you need to consider adapting?

2. billyiddo

billyiddo Les Howe Staff Member

Aurier was obviously an attempt at replacing Walker, it just hasn't panned out - a year with Trippier and he fighting for first choice and then one with Aurier isn't really a questionable course of action - it's a fair crack to a new signing. Foyth looked to have been a Dier to DM type project this season but injuries put paid to that early on so solutions outside of the box were obviously being considered. It could well be that Poch saw CM as a more pressing concern, maybe our primary targets are not available till next summer, who knows - a budget is finite and you can't expect to fix everything in one window afterall.

Im quietly confident Sessegnon will be Roses replacement, and it was always hoped Rose would have a couple more years in the tank. Hasn't turned out that way and his form has dropped off a cliff this season.

3. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Stalteri

Again its your words, not mine. Its your interpretation, not mine.

I know what the tactics are supposed to be.
    You explain it better than I could in your follow up post. But in the original post you say that the fbs are expected to be the biggest part of our creative process.
    I would also take issues with the math, we don't have one cm creating chances.
    We have Eriksen, son and dele, not to mention Ndombele or lamela.

4. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Simon Davies

He looked like a passable version of a Premiership full back today, well done.

If his positioning and concentration doesn’t improve under Jose then it never will, positive signs today.

5. metalgear

metalgear Paul Robinson

6. Nigeyman

Nigeyman Dean Austin

What do you think this is fking hide and seek
    Was in full agreement with those citing an urgent need when possible to sign a new rb and offload him.

Yet today I thought he was immense for us. His performance blew me away, or blew me off! One of the two!

7. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

Slow down fellas...

We still need a new RB.

Gazza, milo, billyiddo and 1 other person like this.
  8. milo

milo Ralph Coates Staff Member

He's had good games before and West Ham are brick.

MKSpur and Poncho Tino like this.
  9. braineclipse

braineclipse Colin Calderwood

He looked finished under Pochettino with his inconsistency and frequent errors just too costly. If Mourinho can get consistency out of him there's still hope, seems like the kind of thing Mourinho can do though he can also quickly scrap someone for not already showing that consistency.

Second chance saloon for everyone, question is who will be left standing.

Nigeyman and milo like this.
  10. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Terry Venables

And a poor positional sense and rash nature.
    Not mourinho traits.

But he has the opportunity for a fresh start now. What player does he want to be

11. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Dean Richards

I thought he looked a bit dodgy in the early part of the game. A few sloppy passes (though in fairness he wasn’t the only one). But he improved as the game went on and by the end was one of our better players.

braineclipse likes this.
  12. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Jimmy Neighbour

Dele eat your heart out!!

Aurier was pretty much played at RMF (like Trippier for Atletico) against Spammers

Last edited: 24 Nov 2019
  13. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Edgar Davids

It’s funny how history taints people’s view of the present. I thought he played really, really well in a wing back kind of role. It would’ve been difficult for any right back to give a better performance than Aurier did today.

14. Gazza Dazzla

Just in case I wasn’t clear enough in my post.., I thought he played well yesterday, one of our top 3 performers on the day with Dele and Son. It’s why I bumped his thread from page 3!

StephenH and Nigeyman like this.
  15. Hashegotthesackyet?

Hashegotthesackyet? Ronnie Rosenthal

Played very well but he will never lose those reckless moments, they are too deeply ingrained imo.

16. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Barry Daines

Maybe the are
    What I yesterday was he ran back to pick up two men on his side when the cross came in and he made a slightly clumsy challenge in Haller I think. Whilst TV is desperately looking for a VAR moment he was berating his team mates for leaving him out numbered

17. parklane1

parklane1 Barry Daines

He was one of our best players yesterday and there is talent there for sure. To be honest i thought he was judged very quickly when he first came here and that has stuck in some fans minds. I hope Jose can turn his talent ( which he has) into more consistant performances.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  18. Finney Is Back

Ah sorry I took your "passable version of a premiership full back" too literally perhaps.

Gazza Dazzla likes this.
  19. Finney Is Back

How do you know this? Is it also the same case for Foyth? Dele? Son?!?

StephenH likes this.
  20. Gazza Dazzla

Yes was a bit tongue in cheek