• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

I would not say he is as fast as Walker.

I'd say there isn't much in it at all, mate.

This was Walker's top speed this weekend (I assume measured when he left Maitland-Niles for dead by knocking the ball past him and just bursting down the line during the first half of the Arsenal-City game).

https://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/...fficially-fastest-speedster-at-the-world-cup/

This article puts Aurier running at 33.5 km/h a few years ago.

So I think, if there is a difference between Aurier and Walker in terms of pace, it's small enough to be insignificant.

Now, acceleration wise, it might be a different story. Walker can probably set off from a standing start much faster than Aurier can - but then, I think only Leroy Sane (across *all* of world football, mind) can match Walker in that department.

I'd say there isn't much in it at all, mate.

This was Walker's top speed this weekend (I assume measured when he left Maitland-Niles for dead by knocking the ball past him and just bursting down the line during the first half of the Arsenal-City game).

https://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/...fficially-fastest-speedster-at-the-world-cup/

This article puts Aurier running at 33.5 km/h a few years ago.

So I think, if there is a difference between Aurier and Walker in terms of pace, it's small enough to be insignificant.

Now, acceleration wise, it might be a different story. Walker can probably set off from a standing start much faster than Aurier can - but then, I think only Leroy Sane (across *all* of world football, mind) can match Walker in that department.
I stand corrected. He's just a lazy fudge then ;)

What I don't get with him, and with any full-back with pace, is why they don't just keep going when faced with open space at the edge of the box.

It's not like there's any tactical advantage to their usual routine of checking back, standing still for a few seconds and then passing it to the player behind them. You keep possession, sure, but there are players making runs in the box waiting for a ball in.

Walker used to do that a lot too, but then, in 2016/2017, he did it a lot less. Suddenly he was bursting beyond the last man in the box, looking to deliver cut-backs or crosses to the far-post. It's probably a big reason why he was so effective towards the end of his Spurs career - he unlearned that habit of stopping and passing back when faced with open space beyond the full-back covering him.

It's not just Aurier - it's Bellerin, it's Clyne, it's quite a few players from other teams that I've heard the same complaints about.

And Trippier I can forgive, because he hasn't got the pace or physicality to beat his man - plus, he delivers great crosses from deep anyway, so he doesn't need to get beyond the last man to pose a threat.

Aurier has the tools to be better than Walker ever was. He's got the same pace, and the same physicality, but he's also got a brilliant cross on him, which Walker never had - his technique was always his weak point. He's also got the same flaws Walker had (a tendency to switch off and be rash at times) - however, Walker eventually fixed that and I'm sure Aurier will too.

But I do wish he unlearns this habit of checking back, more often than not. You have the pace, and the technical ability - get into the box, and cut it back for Harry or Alli to finish. Simples.

Sorry, just a minor gripe. :p

Yeah he is nowhere near as fast as Walker! I'd say his pace is pretty average for a fullback, whereas at top speed Walker was one of the quickest players in the league.

EDIT: Whoops somehow missed the follow-up posts between you and Rorschach. Still don't believe Aurier's almost as quick though :D

E.g. this article has Koscielny being faster than Salah - I'm just not sure the data is reliable... https://talksport.com/football/348058/20-fastest-players-premier-league-walker/

Last edited:
Yeah he is nowhere near as fast as Walker! I'd say his pace is pretty average for a fullback, whereas at top speed Walker was one of the quickest players in the league.

EDIT: Whoops somehow missed the follow-up posts between you and Rorschach. Still don't believe Aurier's almost as quick though :D

E.g. this article has Koscielny being faster than Salah - I'm just not sure the data is reliable... https://talksport.com/football/348058/20-fastest-players-premier-league-walker/

Sheringham showed that the first meter is in mind. No good being fast if your awareness isn’t there. Aurier can improve, but it’s concerning he still has the same issues to resolve. Needs to do the basics well and that will provide a foundation. In some respects he’s not that dissimilar to walker. The differece is now, we have a better squad, and how do you play him and let him develop when we have more reliable options?

You can imagine that he knew the 'castle game was his chance to show what he can do before Trippier returns. Maybe it was too much pressure and he needs to try less and do the simple things with more focus and care.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:

Yikes. Point taken on the data, mate.

I think acceleration is more important than top speed in football. How long does it take sprinters to reach top speed? I would guess say 40 meters. How many times is that useful in football? Elite acceleration on the other hand is useful in almost every situation.

I think acceleration is more important than top speed in football. How long does it take sprinters to reach top speed? I would guess say 40 meters. How many times is that useful in football? Elite acceleration on the other hand is useful in almost every situation.

Campbell was an interesting example of that. His top speed was rapid, but he was so bulky that he didn't turn well. Whereas King was a bit smaller so had pace and agility

What I don't get with him, and with any full-back with pace, is why they don't just keep going when faced with open space at the edge of the box.

It's not like there's any tactical advantage to their usual routine of checking back, standing still for a few seconds and then passing it to the player behind them. You keep possession, sure, but there are players making runs in the box waiting for a ball in.

Walker used to do that a lot too, but then, in 2016/2017, he did it a lot less. Suddenly he was bursting beyond the last man in the box, looking to deliver cut-backs or crosses to the far-post. It's probably a big reason why he was so effective towards the end of his Spurs career - he unlearned that habit of stopping and passing back when faced with open space beyond the full-back covering him.

It's not just Aurier - it's Bellerin, it's Clyne, it's quite a few players from other teams that I've heard the same complaints about.

And Trippier I can forgive, because he hasn't got the pace or physicality to beat his man - plus, he delivers great crosses from deep anyway, so he doesn't need to get beyond the last man to pose a threat.

Aurier has the tools to be better than Walker ever was. He's got the same pace, and the same physicality, but he's also got a brilliant cross on him, which Walker never had - his technique was always his weak point. He's also got the same flaws Walker had (a tendency to switch off and be rash at times) - however, Walker eventually fixed that and I'm sure Aurier will too.

But I do wish he unlearns this habit of checking back, more often than not. You have the pace, and the technical ability - get into the box, and cut it back for Harry or Alli to finish. Simples.

Sorry, just a minor gripe. :p
Aurier is nowhere near as quick as Walker, I doubt he’s even quicker than Trippier!

I agree, always believed there was a player in there but as usual when a player starts of his career here not at his best there are always a few fans who can not wait to get on the " he's brick" bandwagon.

I always thought there was a player in there but gave up on him recently because he just made too many brainless mistakes over a period of 12 months. However, last night he was first class. I hope he can keep it up because on that form he's a better player than Trippier who I think gets found out against the better teams.

I always thought there was a player in there but gave up on him recently because he just made too many brainless mistakes over a period of 12 months. However, last night he was first class. I hope he can keep it up because on that form he's a better player than Trippier who I think gets found out against the better teams.

He has been poor is some games i agree, however he has only played 20 odd games for us since signing and adapting to playing in a much harder Lge while also getting used to living in a different country. Some players adapt a lot quicker that others and i hope we give him more games.

As for Trippier i agree, he is good against teams that do not attack quickly but struggles against the better players who run at him.

He has been poor is some games i agree, however he has only played 20 odd games for us since signing and adapting to playing in a much harder Lge while also getting used to living in a different country. Some players adapt a lot quicker that others and i hope we give him more games.

As for Trippier i agree, he is good against teams that do not attack quickly but struggles against the better players who run at him.

Trippier seems to have been lifted to a level he’s not actually at.

He’s a solid squad player, but nowhere near as good as the WC hype was

I would give Serge a proper run in the team

Back