• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

If he would just stop attempting the lunging tackles he would become a better player overnight. Hypnosis might work.
I know youtube edits are a sketchy way to judge a player but....
.... Serge's compilation had loads of last ditch lunge tackles - it worried me then.

About every appearance between 2009-14. When Zeki Fryers was brought in in 2013 that was seen as a real threat to Rose's position as BAE's back-up. When he signed a new contract in summer 2014, that was received poorly by fans, as most people hoped he'd be sold. He just wasn't very good till Poch got hold of him.

You talked about his behavioural issues???

Cmon give us some examples???

Fans receive players poorly, I’d argue fans generally are not the best judges as seen with NO ONE thinking Kane would be the best striker in the world

About every appearance between 2009-14. When Zeki Fryers was brought in in 2013 that was seen as a real threat to Rose's position as BAE's back-up. When he signed a new contract in summer 2014, that was received poorly by fans, as most people hoped he'd be sold. He just wasn't very good till Poch got hold of him.
GB you seem to be forgetting that Rose had an outstanding spell O/L to Sunderland in 2012/13 when he was voted player of the season by their fans who were desperate for him to stay.

Here's what AVB said of him in December 2012:

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes
AVB says permanent Safc deal for Rose is "completely impossible, we have big expectations for him in the future."

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes
AVB on Rose continued: "our idea is that he comes back to Tottenham next year."

He duly returned to Tottenham for the start of season 2013/14 and he went on to make 30 appearances under AVB and Sherwood, 22 of them in the PL. This was the season before Poch took over. Granted he was still at that time prone to rashness and over-aggressiveness, nevertheless he was also starting to sway fans in his favour through his strong tackling, powerful forward runs and overall commitment.

No question Poch does deserve much credit for helping him progress to the player he went on to become by channelling his aggression so much more creatively.

But please try not to rewrite history about the player he was previously just to suit some kind of over-simplistic narrative.

See Danny Rose before Poch got hold of him.

Rose looked like a terrible excuse for a footballer and was plagued with behavioural issues coming through the academy. Poch turned him into one of the best FBs in the world.
No he didn't and no he wasn't. It's just that a large number of fans have no idea how to judge players and weigh up their attributes against their deficiencies. For example I can remember you being desperate for Dembele to be sold and calling for it in just about every posting you made 2 or 3 years ago.

Last edited:

...in your head maybe but not in the real world.

You talked about his behavioural issues???

Cmon give us some examples???

Fans receive players poorly, I’d argue fans generally are not the best judges as seen with NO ONE thinking Kane would be the best striker in the world
Thing is I wouldn't argue the point using Kane as the example.
To be fair Kane is the outlier of the century...if you'd been in a coma for the last 5 years and woke up now, you'd think you were in some kind of alternative reality.

Yep can’t believe some people were describing him as “quick, not quite Walker speed but rapid”. He’s no quicker than Trippier!

That's probably the biggest disappointment for me. I knew nothing about him before we signed him but was excited at those who were saying what a good athlete he is. I could handle him being a bit raw, a bit rash, if he was a phucking beast of a player who could roar up and down the flank. He's got a pretty good leap on him for winning headers, but he really isn't quick at all.

Thing is I wouldn't argue the point using Kane as the example.
To be fair Kane is the outlier of the century...if you'd been in a coma for the last 5 years and woke up now, you'd think you were in some kind of alternative reality.

Maybe but it’s relevant in that no fans saw this coming

No he didn't and no he wasn't. It's just that a large number of fans have no idea how to judge players and weigh up their attributes against their deficiencies. For example I can remember you being desperate for Dembele to be sold and calling for it in just about every posting you made 2 or 3 years ago.

And Wanyama not being good enough

I remember people on different boards thinking Rose wasn't the player we wanted. He got himself sent off with rash tackles and was erratic with his defending. This after his first year after Sunderland loan. Then he matured into the left back who became PL's best last year.

People wanted rid, wanted an upgrade. Which they got... in Rose.

Ok fine, i actually have a friend who is a Sunderland fan. Maybe I should tell him to put about on the Sunderland message boards that Aurier is available for a loan to a crap club.

I remember people on different boards thinking Rose wasn't the player we wanted. He got himself sent off with rash tackles and was erratic with his defending. This after his first year after Sunderland loan. Then he matured into the left back who became PL's best last year.

People wanted rid, wanted an upgrade. Which they got... in Rose.

Thing is, players like Rose had plenty of people defending him too. There are often players who divide opinion, particularly young players with potential, but they will have plenty of people who shout about their positives. How many fans are really feeling good about Aurier and his potential to be a successful signing for us? He's more in the Sissoko bracket than a young Danny Rose, imo.

I'm not totally against giving him another season, but I think that's about the limit if he doesn't show a big improvement. And I also think that if the club can brig in someone better in the summer, they should do. It's the weakest position in our squad currently.

Thing is, players like Rose had plenty of people defending him too. There are often players who divide opinion, particularly young players with potential, but they will have plenty of people who shout about their positives. How many fans are really feeling good about Aurier and his potential to be a successful signing for us? He's more in the Sissoko bracket than a young Danny Rose, imo.

I'm not totally against giving him another season, but I think that's about the limit if he doesn't show a big improvement. And I also think that if the club can brig in someone better in the summer, they should do. It's the weakest position in our squad currently.

Really mate? he's just settling in, he gets rotated a lot (doesn't help), so unsurprisingly is inconsistent.

Danny Rose wishes he was in the Sissoko bracket when he was young, there is a reason Rose doesn't do social media, and it's because most Spurs fans thought he was utter brick, and told him so when he renewed his contract. Another reason Rose will not show us loyalty (and a lesson for fans).

Aurier was a liability against Juve, but no worse than I've seen from Rose or Walker early with us, nor worse than either Trippiers/Davies bad days at the office for us. I think he has a higher ceiling than Trippier, up to him if he gets there.

Regarding his pace, didn't I read that he recorded the highest speed at the last World Cup? Or did I just dream that up? He certainly hasn't shown us he has any pace but could that possibly be because his muscles have tightened due to nervousness. Maybe he will speed up when he settles and becomes more comfortable. Or am I clutching at straws?

Someone did post that, yes. If you imagined it, so did I, which is a little creepy.

If you can put aside his hopeless lunge, which you can't, but if you could, I didn't think he was all that bad against Juventus.

I thought he was very all night naive TBH, and both Lamela (when he switched sides) and Dier had their work cut out continually covering for him.

Back