• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Ah well, glad to be of service.
I still maintain that if you look at his positioning from the throw-in, he has left a massive pocket behind him unnecessarily (the one Firmino went behind Winks on).
Mourinho said they practiced defending throw-ins the previous day and lost on a throw-in. It would be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Again, despite my saying not several times, you have narrowed this to an idea that I am solely blaming Aurier for the goal. I am not. What I am pointing out are that once again, he has shown less than smart defensive thought. It contributed. As did Winks, as did Dele, as did Toby. Tanganga is the only player who gets a pass - he was done by superior skill.

As for being the “only”’person here (Galeforce I think agrees BTW) that wouldn’t bother me in the least.
That's just wrong. Winks is supposed to cover Firminho, but he then let's him run behind him because he doesn't pay attention. Aurier is helping Tanganga covering Mane, and is also there to pick up Robertson, who takes the throw in. Aurier can't go anywhere else! If he goes more centrally, where you say, He'd leave Tanganga alone vs Robertson and Mane!

I think what it boils down to, is Aurier doesn't have a defensive mindset. He doesn't expect the worst. He doesn't always get goalside and prepare to duck back onto the line to scrape the shot off the line if the keeper is beaten. His first thought is forwards, he wants to be released to charge up the wing.

This is true of many forward-thinking players, so is not the end of the world, providing he doesn't play full back and is not supposed to be a defender i.e. we need to think of him as a Moura rather than a Toby.

Has looked a bit better recently I think. Suited him to be further up the pitch against Liverpool I thought, not a lot of games like that, but perhaps in the CL, against City and perhaps some other games that would be a useful option.

Still a long way from consistency, but chances are we'll have to rely on him for at least a bit longer so any improvement is welcome.

That's just wrong. Winks is supposed to cover Firminho, but he then let's him run behind him because he doesn't pay attention. Aurier is helping Tanganga covering Mane, and is also there to pick up Robertson, who takes the throw in. Aurier can't go anywhere else! If he goes more centrally, where you say, He'd leave Tanganga alone vs Robertson and Mane!

If Aurier is in that spot then either Firminho cannot run off Winks OR he is there to cover Mane if he gets around Tanganga and comes inside. To my eye. The whole situation is fudged and we were done from the moment we didn’t get the throw. It happened in front of me. The positioning was poor IMO.
I appreciate this tactical exchange, seriously, would rather debate these areas, but alas I am going to move on now. If he remains our RB/RWB once Mourinho has a choice I’d be surprised (though again he did overall have a fine game against Liverpool, when Tanganga did the work in defence overall).

If Aurier is in that spot then either Firminho cannot run off Winks OR he is there to cover Mane if he gets around Tanganga and comes inside. To my eye. The whole situation is fudged and we were done from the moment we didn’t get the throw. It happened in front of me. The positioning was poor IMO.
I appreciate this tactical exchange, seriously, would rather debate these areas, but alas I am going to move on now. If he remains our RB/RWB once Mourinho has a choice I’d be surprised (though again he did overall have a fine game against Liverpool, when Tanganga did the work in defence overall).
Fair enough. I just hope you don't work as a coach or tactician.

I'm not a fan of Serge but thought he was good today. Credit where it's due, he seems to have stopped trying to slide tackle everyone in the box which is rather helpful too.

I'm not a fan of Serge but thought he was good today. Credit where it's due, he seems to have stopped trying to slide tackle everyone in the box which is rather helpful too.

He made a good challenge in the box at one point where I thought previously he'd have gone sliding in giving away a pen - maybe there's room for change in him yet

I thought he was our best player today as he was away at Southampton and away against Boro. In our whole squad he is probably the player who has responded best to Mourinho coming in.
I reckon Jose told him, if you do one more slide tackle in the box then you're out. I'm amazed to say but he seems much more refrained on his ridiculous tackles.

He definately played well today, no complaints. I just think at 27 years old,I don’t see him stopping have his erratic moments. They are like the Kyle Walker brain farts on Steroids with Crystal Meth for an extra hit of madness. Shame because there’s a good player in there when he’s tuned in.

He was very, very good today. The header at the end of the first half when he cleared from two Watford players was outstanding. The one in the second half when one of their players put Aurier on his arse, the crowd cheered and yet Serge came away with the ball was also a highlight.

Funnily enough, I've been saying him and Gazza are our mistakes waiting to happen. I stand by that but today, those two did more to get us a point and get us a clean sheet than anyone else so credit where it's due.

Aurier had a good game today no doubt. Significant that we paired Verts and Alderweireld in the center for the first time in a while. But credit where it is due, he was good today.

In your honour, Mudshark, he'll be booked in for an all expense paid weekend at the Edgewater Inn.

With a succulent young lady.

With a taste for the bizarre.

And an 8mm movie camera.

I once sat with one of the protagonists in the same spot two decades on from the incident and listened to him wax lyrical about the whole thing...

Back