• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scottish Football

How would facing inferior English players benefit the development of the English national team as opposed to facing superior foreign players?

And why don't English players seek opportunities outside Britain, are they not good enough to be picked up by clubs abroad?

We were still brick when we had a cap on overseas players.

84/88/94

Missed WCs in 70s

How would facing inferior English players benefit the development of the English national team as opposed to facing superior foreign players?

And why don't English players seek opportunities outside Britain, are they not good enough to be picked up by clubs abroad?
Get paid more in the championship than a mid level Spanish club. Without the upheaval of moving country etc

The good players will think it's a season or so before getting a pl move, the average will see it as a good career in the championship

No problem with superior foreign players it's the bang average mob stealing a
Iiving in at least 12 Greed League teams.

We were still brick when we had a cap on overseas players.

84/88/94

Missed WCs in 70s

That is my point, instead of improving the coaching and producing skillful players we started to bring in overseas players, the vast majority were very good, now we have a lot of dross who have a bit of experience in weaker leagues and managers would rather have them than take a chance with young players.

Canna be bothered to speak the local lingo. I remember Rush moaning that he could not understand the coaches and they eat funny food.

Too much out of their comfort zone having to learn another language and culture

I mean when the average Brit goes abroad he is outraged if the people of the country he visits doesn't speak English to him

Bingo.

Some interesting points here about English players choosing not to play overseas... I wonder how many people criticising that have had 2 year plus spells working overseas themselves?

Some interesting points here about English players choosing not to play overseas... I wonder how many people criticising that have had 2 year plus spells working overseas themselves?

Been there and got the tee shirt mate, can not speak for others though.

That is my point, instead of improving the coaching and producing skillful players we started to bring in overseas players, the vast majority were very good, now we have a lot of dross who have a bit of experience in weaker leagues and managers would rather have them than take a chance with young players.

That is the perfect post on this topic on this topic.

We have a bit better coaching now, but it is cheaper and easier to get foreign players in because they have a bit more experience.

they’d improve, think of all the players who’d suddenly find Scottish grandparents, Kranjcar, Benny, Shimbomba, Pav

Im a little baffled by all the talk around Gerrard going there.

So many pundits/commentators speaking as if its a given he will be a good manager (it most certainly is not) and that somehow his stature as a player means he will be able to attract top signings (relative to SPL) - because "He's Steven Gerrard". It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I fully admit to not being a fan of his, as player or person, so yes - I may be biased. BUT, lets be honest, what is there to suggest he will be good? Or that players will flock to him?

A bit of U23 coaching? Get the fudge out!

"Oh but he worked under top managers" - SO WHAT? That doesnt mean he learned anything. Or that he was smart enough to even pay attention.

Look at him as a player, people call him "Stevie ME" for a reason. He was a selfish prick who put his own personal glory ahead of his beloved teams. He never showed a real in game intelligence, he never showed any humility, he doesnt even seem like he is a personable kind of guy.

Where in that does the idea he will be a good manager come from!?

I really don't see what good this will do either of them. They're not a good fit.
The cynic in me says that season ticket time and takes some of sting from the result yesterday (which everyone knew was going to happen), give them something to look forward too.
End of the week stevie g can say it was a hard decision but I'm staying at his beloved Liverpool.
Only an idiot or a shyster would get involved with rangers just now.

I really don't see what good this will do either of them. They're not a good fit.
The cynic in me says that season ticket time and takes some of sting from the result yesterday (which everyone knew was going to happen), give them something to look forward too.
End of the week stevie g can say it was a hard decision but I'm staying at his beloved Liverpool.
Only an idiot or a shyster would get involved with rangers just now.

Shearer made a fair point, it does make sense for Gerrard. His alternative will be to go to a Championship side (or lower) and that league is brutal. Much higher chance of failure.

In Scotland he is out of the limelight (relatively) and in a much weaker league. It could be a good proving ground/apprenticeship situation for him. Theres no catching Celtic at this point, not for a couple of seasons at least, but he could make up ground against much less competition in the rest of the league.

So, from his pov, I get its far from a bad idea.

Though of course that takes no account of Rangers as an institution, Ive no idea what sort of state they are in.

Just back from a family 'do'.
Had a great time, as we do.
Was held at Firhill, home of the mighty Partick Thistle, for glaswegians a supposed neutral venue.
A 'mixed' occasion with both sides of the old firm in attendance and songs from both sides liable to cause offence freely trotted out. Some chose to offended, most just went to the bar.
When simply the best was played, which has a dubious protestant chorus, my wife and I got up to dance as it has I special meaning for us.
During the rather childish singing of the dubious bits I was belting out 'COYS'.
My family, including one ex Celtic player, all know where my allegiance lies and think this great fun, some even joined in.
We really are a strange lot up here.

Back