• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scottish Football

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
The Scottish Professional Football League has claimed that it would be practically impossible to grant Scotland manager Gordon Strachan his wish to have Hearts, Hibs and Rangers “manipulated” back into the top tier of the Scottish game.

Strachan, speaking on Sky Sports' Goals On Sunday programme, welcomed the news that Celtic would play Rangers in the semi-finals of the League Cup and added that he would like the authorities to find a way to promote three of the country’s best-supported clubs into the Premiership, which is lacking both a title sponsor and a meaningful TV deal.

“The top league has missed Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, so to get that fixture back is fantastic, because all we talk about is administration and all the rest of it in Scotland,” Strachan said. “We need Rangers back. They were punished and something had to happen but it left Scottish football short.

“Somehow we have to get these three teams back. Then the game will grow again, with the crowds and a bit of money, and excitement.”

Hearts have a seven-point lead over Rangers at the top of the Championship. However, only the champions will be guaranteed promotion next summer, with at least one of the three clubs mentioned by Strachan missing out and no changes to that process will be considered until 2016.

“When the SPL and the Scottish League merged last year it was agreed that there would be a three-year moratorium on significant changes in order to give the game some stability,” Ian Blair, the SPFL secretary, said.

“It covers our rules and regulations, the structure of competitions and the payment of fees to clubs – all the major issues.

“Theoretically, a major change could still be made within that timeframe but it would require the unanimous backing of all 42 of our senior clubs for that to happen.

“I know from personal experience how difficult it can be just to achieve a majority vote on a proposal, never mind the 100 per cent backing which would be needed. So it’s very unlikely that alterations will be made. Quite apart from anything else, no one apart from Gordon Strachan has requested it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-football/11206753/Gordon-Strachan-told-plans-to-manipulate-Hearts-Hibs-and-Rangers-into-Premiership-is-non-starter-by-SPFL.html

Don't see how handing everything on a plate to the big clubs is going to improve football in Scotlan and certainly not the Scottish national team.

After all these years how come one of the chasing pack has never managed to get their **** together, even for just one season and manage to pip Rangers & Celtic to the title?

I know they are by far the biggest clubs but surely a decent coach on a half decent budget at somewhere like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts should've been able to spring a surprise season at least once over the years.

**Off to Google last time Old Firm didn't win the league... Since SPL started in 1998 only Rangers and Celtic have won the league and only twice has someone other than Rangers or Celtic finished 2nd! (..and one of those was last year when Rangers weren't in the SPL) :eek:

might happen this year

it's the same as the situation in Germany, if a club does well they lose their best players to the wealthier sides

B9U_lB8IMAAPsv-.jpg

Not a red.

Inverness won their semi against Celtic 3-2 in the 117th minute.

Refs missed this:

KdnkoB.gif

image.jpg

Then Craig Gordon got sent off in the second half.

Rangers beat Queen of the South 3-2 on aggregate to set up a two legged playoff final against Hibernian. Would absolutely love it if they got stuck down there.

Are they still re-structuring their leagues next year? I remember they came up with some idea to make bigger divisions that would split halfway through the year or something. Maybe I dreamt it!

Are they still re-structuring their leagues next year? I remember they came up with some idea to make bigger divisions that would split halfway through the year or something. Maybe I dreamt it!

They do that every 3 or 4 years. Currently the teams play each other 3 times, then they split it and the top 6 play each other 3 more times to make it 38 games. A few years back there were only 10 teams, so everyone played each other 4 times to make it 36 games.

So now Rangers have to play Motherwell in yet another playoff game? This league confuses me.

6-1 to Motherwell on aggregate. Another season in the Championship for Rangers, no doubt continuing to run up huge losses.

ea666894-16f5-40d4-a430-9943410bcaf7-620x424.jpeg

21da002c-cf6c-4948-a81a-c079dba2bc88-620x394.jpeg

Have the other SPL clubs benefitted or suffered from Rangers not being there the last few seasons?

I would have thought that with only Celtic to steal their best players now, that some of the other sides could've held on to their better players and mounted a decent challenge. Surely there might never be a better chance with Rangers in disarray

Have the other SPL clubs benefitted or suffered from Rangers not being there the last few seasons?

I would have thought that with only Celtic to steal their best players now, that some of the other sides could've held on to their better players and mounted a decent challenge. Surely there might never be a better chance with Rangers in disarray

Inverness Caledonian Thistle won their first ever major trophy this season, the Scottish cup. I'm sure their fans are quite pleased.

Aberdeen managed to stay in contention for the title almost until the league split.

As the turf war between Mike Ashley and Rangers widened to include a court challenge by the Sports Direct billionaire to the Scottish Football Association, the possibility of the Ibrox club being stripped of titles has fuelled concern among several clubs, who fear financial repercussions.

The status of the five Scottish championships, four Scottish Cup wins and six Scottish League Cup successes recorded by Rangers between 2001 and 2011 has been called into question since the decision by the Court of Session in Edinburgh to uphold HMRC’s appeal against the rulings of two previous tribunals that EBT (Employee Benefit Trust) schemes for players were administered improperly.

Calls for the annulment of the titles won by Rangers during the period when EBTs were used as a tax avoidance scheme at Ibrox were fuelled by the observation of one of the three Court of Session judges, Lord Drummond Young that, had the trusts not existed, some players “might well have taken their services elsewhere”.

Both the Scottish Professional Football League and the SFA have referred the matter to their lawyers for scrutiny but last night one chairman, who asked not to be identified, told Telegraph Sport: “There is a strong feeling amongst clubs that this has to be handled extremely carefully because of the possible consequences.

“Suppose for the sake of argument Rangers are stripped of all the honours they won during the time they operated EBTs. Do we award those honours to the runners-up – and trigger the bonuses that would have been paid to the players who were on their books then if they had actually won the trophies?

“Celtic might be able to afford that but nobody else could. The alternative would be to withhold all of those trophies and devalue all our domestic tournaments at a time when we’ve had to go cap in hand to find sponsors.”

Another chairman, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said: “I certainly don’t fly any flag for Rangers and my view is that the EBT scheme was questionable and maybe even reckless from the start but they were given expert advice and they acted on it and it has taken the taxman three tries to get a favourable result.

“Rangers have paid the price for that but so has everyone else in Scottish football since the oldco went under. Right now I would say that matters are moving sideways and we still don’t know if the taxman has actually won.

“Don’t forget that the SPL clubs got solidarity payments from Uefa because Rangers were in the group stages of the Champions League as Scottish champions. If we take titles away from Rangers and Uefa demand their money back, who would be able to pay it?”

The prospect of the controversy being resolved one way or the other in the foreseeable future now depends on whether or not there will be yet another appeal in what is colloquially known as the Big Tax Case. The deadline for an appeal to the Supreme Court by Rangers’ liquidators, BDO, or Sir David Murray, who approved the use of EBTs when he owned the club, falls three weeks from now.

Ashley, meanwhile, has lodged a legal challenge to the SFA’s decision to approve Rangers’ chairman and principal shareholder, Dave King, as a fit and proper person to hold the position. King dislodged the previous Ashley-backed boardroom regime in March but had to wait until May for the SFA to authorise his chairmanship.

The judicial review of the SFA’s approval of King was originally docketed for Dec 11, but has been rescheduled for Feb 4.

The SFA refused to comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...themselves-if-Rangers-stripped-of-titles.html

They'd rather not win stuff? o_O

Are they making ridiculous promises because they know there's minimal chance of it happening?

Back