• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Safe Standing at Football Matches

It is only a matter of time really before this is back, and I'm sure Danny won't miss this trick and will have our single tier stand with rail seats or primed for it at least.

It is only a matter of time really before this is back, and I'm sure Danny won't miss this trick and will have our single tier stand with rail seats or primed for it at least.

Hope your right on both counts, but I personally think that it's going to be hard getting the donuts in this country to listen and also that Levy probably see's it as something that won't happen and therefore doesn't have to be incorporated.

I would always stand at football, if I had the choice. Really hope we can have the safe standing at one of the ends in the new ground and do a Dortmund.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...areas-football-stadiums-fans#comment-47625875

The subject of Hillsborough often comes up when standing is discussed and it is important to be mindful of sensitivities around the tragedy, but the ongoing inquiry actually makes this a sensible time to look at this issue.

Standing did not cause the disaster, overcrowding and catastrophic mistakes in crowd management did. No one is lobbying for a return to open terracing and the technology which now exists works perfectly well across the continent with no issues.

Clearly fan safety has to be the top priority, but if we’re honest football fans are being unfairly stigmatised by a piece of legislation which was drafted in a different era, to address a different set of problems.

Interesting responses from scousers in the comments.

13679957_1241592599213976_9027553729560351774_o_zpst8ydfulz.jpg

Cmn-6mfW8AEjepF.jpg

How can anyone honestly and seriously claim that this isn't safe?

The Liverpool supporters’ union Spirit of Shankly is to consult the club’s fans and Hillsborough families over the possible introduction of standing sections at Premier League grounds.

LSU members were asked at last month’s AGM whether the organisation should adopt a position on rail seating, following discussions with fellow supporters, and 93% voted in favour, it was announced on Wednesday, while 4.7% were against and 2.3% abstained. The proposal was in response to growing debate, including at government level, over the introduction of safe standing areas in the top two tiers of English football, and Celtic’s decision to open a 2,975-capacity standing section this season.

Scottish clubs are not bound by the all-seat regulations that were introduced into English football by Lord Justice Taylor’s report into the Hillsborough disaster, when 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed at an FA Cup semi-final in 1989. The prospect of standing returning to Premier League and Championship grounds in any form – it is allowed at League One and Two levels – remains a contentious and understandably emotive issue for those affected by Hillsborough, and opinion is divided.

The Hillsborough Family Support Group is strongly opposed while the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, in a statement on its Facebook page, said: “There has always been a variety of views amongst HJC members. We do however, support a full and objective debate on the issue with safety being paramount.”

LSU members present at their recent AGM voted overwhelmingly in favour of a proposal for the union to “adopt a position on rail seating and embark on a period of consultation and engagement with supporters to determine what that position is”. The union’s management committee plans to hold public meetings to gauge opinion and will meet with representatives of the Hillsborough families before clarifying its position. There are no plans at this stage to ask Liverpool to introduce a rail-seating area at Anfield.

The proposal put to last month’s AGM explained: “There have been ongoing campaigns for the implementation of ‘rail seating’ at football grounds, similar to those often found in Germany. This has been alongside debate about supporters who currently stand in seated areas. It should be recognised and acknowledged that this occurs.

“LSU has never formally adopted a position on ‘rail seating’, ‘safe standing’ or these matters by whichever name it goes by. The debate, in recent months, has moved on, following the implementation of rail seating at Celtic and with football clubs openly discussing the idea. Supporters at other clubs are actively campaigning for the introduction of rail seating. Whilst LSU recognises that opinion amongst our fan base is divided, with supporters and Hillsborough campaigners and groups on both sides of the debate, our stance and opinion on such matters should be one directed by our members.”

The Football Supporters’ Federation supports a safe standing campaign but Walton’s Labour MP Steve Rotheram, who was at Hillsborough in 1989 and whose constituency covers Anfield and Goodison Park, has voiced his opposition and questioned whether its introduction would reduce ticket prices.

Celtic’s safe-standing section could have ramifications for English football, with the sports minister, Tracey Crouch, saying last year that the government will assess its impact. “The government is not at present persuaded by the case put forward to re-introduce standing accommodation in grounds covered by the all-seater requirement,” she said. “We will, however, monitor its introduction in Scotland closely and reassess this position once evidence from the Scottish experience is available.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rs-consult-hillsborough-safe-standing-anfield

Brighton & Hove Albion today confirmed that the club has begun to look at the possibility of installing limited safe standing at the Amex, and fans will have an opportunity to have their say - along with other key groups - in the coming weeks on what has long been an emotive subject for football supporters.

The EFL first confirmed they were open to discussions on the topic in February 2014; and Albion's move follows The Football Association's confirmation that it will soon commence discussions with the government about the possibility of a change in legislation, with The FA's chairman Greg Clarke a keen advocate of safe standing - dating back to his time as EFL chairman.

Albion chief executive Paul Barber, who has already made fact-finding missions to both Borussia Dortmund and Celtic Park during the past 12 months, says the club is now ready and keen to explore the possibility - but it's important for fans to remember that the club can only fully consider such a move if the government changes legislation.

Albion will evaluate the possibility of introducing safe standing to a small section of the Amex based on several factors. Aside from a change to legislation, and securing support from its Safety Advisory Group, the club will also need to look at the cost of installation, where it might be feasible inside the stadium, the potential impact on crowd behaviour and atmosphere, and a range of other commercial considerations.

Much longer article here: http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/brighton-hove-albion-paul-barber-3349610.aspx

Margaret Aspinall:

"Our position on this matter is very simple – we do not believe there is any such thing as safe standing and we will always oppose the return of any form of standing."

"If standing returns in any form it might be okay for 12 months and it could be okay for two years but how long would it take before the mistakes of the past are repeated? How long before there are calls for the return of fencing? How long before it is decided that a space that's designed to fit in 500 people can fit in a couple of hundred more?"

"I know that it can be pointed out that people still stand at certain points in games in all seater stadiums, it is something that I have done myself at Anfield. I have stood up when Liverpool have scored and I've got all excited but I've put my bum back on the seat afterwards because I know all too well the dangers of prolonged standing."

"I never want to go backwards. I never want to think that my grandchildren could one day end up standing at a football match."

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/i-never-...day-end-up-standing-at-a-football-match/91297

giphy.gif

Margaret Aspinall:

"Our position on this matter is very simple – we do not believe there is any such thing as safe standing and we will always oppose the return of any form of standing."

"If standing returns in any form it might be okay for 12 months and it could be okay for two years but how long would it take before the mistakes of the past are repeated? How long before there are calls for the return of fencing? How long before it is decided that a space that's designed to fit in 500 people can fit in a couple of hundred more?"

"I know that it can be pointed out that people still stand at certain points in games in all seater stadiums, it is something that I have done myself at Anfield. I have stood up when Liverpool have scored and I've got all excited but I've put my bum back on the seat afterwards because I know all too well the dangers of prolonged standing."

"I never want to go backwards. I never want to think that my grandchildren could one day end up standing at a football match."

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/i-never-...day-end-up-standing-at-a-football-match/91297

giphy.gif
Our position on this is clear.

Nobody is allowed to ever, ever stop thinking about us. It's all about us. Everything is.

The whole country has always been against the people of Liverpool so we will fudge their brick up forever, just for the fudge of it.

Victims in perpetuity.

Back