• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Safe Standing at Football Matches

Jurgen the German

Tommy Harmer
Taking a stand: Aston Villa back plans to trial standing areas - but Hillsborough Family Support Group remain opposed

"We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums," says HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall

Aston Villa have become the first Premier League club to support the campaign for standing areas to return to top flight football grounds.

The campaign has been launched by the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and with Birmingham MP Roger Godsiff. Aston Villa and Peterborough have both given their support to calls for the Government to allow "small-scale trials of safe standing areas" and have volunteered to host a trial.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We have had a number of good discussions and meetings with the FSF over the past 12 months and fully support their campaign to allow small-scale trials of safe standing areas at grounds.

"Whenever we have discussed the topic with our fans we've found almost unanimous support for such a trial, and the concept of giving fans the choice to decide to either sit or stand at a game.

"We believe Villa Park could be a potential venue for such a trial, and would like the opportunity to progress the plans further with the wider support of the football community in this country."

Godsiff has also submitted an early day motion to Parliament which "urges the Government to accept the case for introducing, on a trial basis, limited standing areas".

The trials would need a change in the Football Spectators Act 1989, brought in after the Hillsborough disaster.

Peter Daykin, Safe Standing Coordinator at the FSF, said: "For two decades since the Taylor Report, the overwhelming majority of football supporters have favoured a choice of standing and sitting at football, and fans continue to stand throughout all levels of the game today, even in the Premier League and Championship where it is against ground regulations and facilities are designed for sitting.

"Standing was outlawed on grounds of safety, and yet successive governments have agreed that standing is safe - it's hard not to when it is done perfectly safely every week at rugby grounds, lower league football grounds and in top football leagues all around the world."

Last year the Hillsborough Family Support Group opposed any move to bring back standing areas.

HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall said then: "The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums.

"People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law."

The Premier League and successive governments have until now also opposed any change.

The Premier League will not support the campaign and argued that all-seater grounds had had significant benefits.

A PL spokesman said: "Since the introduction of all-seater stadia the supporter experience has improved significantly and we have seen more diverse crowds attending Premier League matches including more women and children.

"The police, safety officers and licensing authorities remain clear on this issue and have consistently informed us that crowd management has improved as a result of all-seater stadia being in place in the top two divisions in this country.

"We will not be encouraging the Government to change the law."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-back-plans-to-trial-1400750

Re: O/T Aston Villa back plan to trial standing area

"We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums," says Margaret

Women.

Stop talking about football and go and do the washing up love.

And make me a cup of tea while you're at it.

Ta love.

"we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country."

so because one thing, albeit tragic and horrific, happened, then that means that the same thing will always happen over and again? well, can't really argue with that kind of logic.

no consideration of lessons learned, improved infrastructure, developed society, the shift in demographic attending matches? nope, it was therefore it will always be.

unfortunately i don't think anyone will be brave enough to stand up for common sense against the nut job HSFG lot

"we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country."

so because one thing, albeit tragic and horrific, happened, then that means that the same thing will always happen over and again? well, can't really argue with that kind of logic.

no consideration of lessons learned, improved infrastructure, developed society, the shift in demographic attending matches? nope, it was therefore it will always be.

Unfortunately it's not because of that. It's because if we all stood up and enjoyed ourselves we might forget about them for a brief second. They will never let that happen.

HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall said then: "The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums.

"People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law."
Totally un-justifiable. Just because one event that killed 96 people in 1989 (due to the inadequacies of the people organising the events, the police force and The FA, not standing areas) occurred, that does not mean to say that standing is not safe now.

A PL spokesman said: "Since the introduction of all-seater stadia the supporter experience has improved significantly and we have seen more diverse crowds attending Premier League matches including more women and children."
...yet less people can afford to go to matches, makes sense.

Watched City supporters dancing back to front in the seated section again.

I thought the scousers would stfu about standing now it's been shown the tragedy want to do with standing in the slightest?

...yet less people can afford to go to matches, makes sense.

But wealthier people can afford to go to the matches, and sit in the corporate boxes. And that's what counts. Who cares if atmospheres at football grounds across England are rapidly deteriorating into a few minutes of desultory chanting followed by intermittent booing and silence? As long as they pay for the seat, they feed the money monster that PL football's become.

There are women and children at Bundesliga games too. Yet the ticket prices there are tremendously cheaper. And there's even cheaper standing sections which generate fantastic atmospheres, as evidenced by the Signal Iduna, among many others. Yet the Hillsborough FSG's argument is 'we don't care whether it works everywhere else, it won't work here, because it didn't in 1989', and the PL's argument is 'it makes more money, so seating is better'. And because the famous intensity of crowd support in England is decreasing, Sky and co have to go to ever more desperate measures to drum up interest in the league. 'Most exciting league in the world' and all that jazz. Sigh.

Unfortunately it's not because of that. It's because if we all stood up and enjoyed ourselves we might forget about them for a brief second. They will never let that happen.

Spot on. =D>

should standing be brought back, i for one, would definitely go back to attending football matches. I dont see the point in going to sit down, you might as well sit down in your front room and watch the match.

should standing be brought back, i for one, would definitely go back to attending football matches. I dont see the point in going to sit down, you might as well sit down in your front room and watch the match.

Yeh id much rather be in my lounge than at WHL every other weekend, er no not really, nothing beats being at the game, the build up, the pub beforehand, the smell of the burgers, the banter, nothing beats it for me

A PL spokesman said: "Since the introduction of all-seater stadia the supporter experience has improved significantly and we have seen more diverse crowds attending Premier League matches including more women and children.

Complete gonad*s. I much preferred standing on the Shelf, and that definitely also includes being in a box or lounge with free food and drink. If the new stadium kop end has safe standing, I would choose to pay for that rather than accept a free corporate ticket or pay for a seat with no singing but surrounded by moany know-it-all 'i pay for a seat so i'm entitled to boo' tossers

Dion Dublin in the video on that page - what a donut

personally i'd rather sit (i stand on the terraces if I go to St James' Park though), if the option to stand is there and people want to fair enough,

i'm not sure it will happen, at the end of the day I think the clubs/police would rather have the ability to track back to a seat number and if there is any trouble during any trial they will have an excuse to nix it straight away, lets be honest, every club has its share of dingdongheads that will probably get carried away and ruin it for everyone else

Meh, Villa are just one of many clubs that have already said they're willing to give it a go. But common sense won't prevail, it never really does in this country or with the Premier League/ FA.

Meh, Villa are just one of many clubs that have already said they're willing to give it a go. But common sense won't prevail, it never really does in this country or with the Premier League/ FA.

It's not the FA or Premier League's decision at the moment. It is illegal to stand in the Premier League, so it would need the government to change the law for it to happen.

Back