• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

it's a tool

it's only as useful as the people using it, who in this tournament appear to have been a bunch of idiots

also, am I reading it wrong or is one of the points of that article suggesting that the ref not calling for VAR on one incident is a failing of VAR?

I can accept the system and protocol is new to the referees, and that might lead to them actually forgetting they have the option. Everyone needs time to learn new things. But when they actually use it, and then get a stone wall decision wrong, that is a farse! The incident in the final is a yes/no decision! Is it accidental or intentional. That again leads to it either being nothing or a red card. It simply can't be a yellow card offense! Shocking decision!

I can accept the system and protocol is new to the referees, and that might lead to them actually forgetting they have the option. Everyone needs time to learn new things. But when they actually use it, and then get a stone wall decision wrong, that is a farse! The incident in the final is a yes/no decision! Is it accidental or intentional. That again leads to it either being nothing or a red card. It simply can't be a yellow card offense! Shocking decision!

Anyone who thinks ( they are some) that VAR is going to stop mistakes, stop the arguments, make the game better ( certainely make it longer) is fooling themselves.

We will get the same debates between the guys who make the decisions ( after watching the replays) as we get now between the pundits on MOD and similar. imo

and the 2 minute delays - and the argument that if you went back 5 seconds more that could have been a foul - and the argument that foul was in that period of play and not the previous- and what about the offside just before. And Sky have obviously got it in for my team as they have a perfect replay for Man U but not for the foul on Erikson,

Anyone who thinks ( they are some) that VAR is going to stop mistakes, stop the arguments, make the game better ( certainely make it longer) is fooling themselves.

We will get the same debates between the guys who make the decisions ( after watching the replays) as we get now between the pundits on MOD and similar. imo
You've obviously made your mind up, but how about we wait and see if there is an improvement? Does the article you posted (with attention seeking twitter quotes!:p) show there may be teething problems, or give confirmation that it will never ever work?

also, am I reading it wrong or is one of the points of that article suggesting that the ref not calling for VAR on one incident is a failing of VAR?

I suppose the argument there would be that sometimes the VAR seems to be sticking his oar in, and other times he sits on his hands, so it's perhaps a failing of the VAR system.

The ref shouldn't be having to jog over to a TV screen and have another look, either trust the guys with the camera angles or don't.

I'm sure it'll get better, but it was a bit of a rooster up throughout.

The system didnt work and is doing things I feared it would. As mentioned above its sticks its oar in and makes ref look silly and forces him into a tough decision which was point of getting the system and other times it is not used to clear up obvious mistakes.

Its a poor system

You've obviously made your mind up, but how about we wait and see if there is an improvement? Does the article you posted (with attention seeking twitter quotes!:p) show there may be teething problems, or give confirmation that it will never ever work?

Have you got shares ( invested) in this so called new technology?

the VAR trial was horrendous, yes it was the first time using it and it will be improved but it will badly affect the flow of the game, I'm not a luddite but like I've said before, this'll be a slippery slope, next will be team challenges and long video reviews, the NFL is a horrible viewing spectacle, it would be a shame for football to go the same way.

the VAR trial was horrendous, yes it was the first time using it and it will be improved but it will badly affect the flow of the game, I'm not a luddite but like I've said before, this'll be a slippery slope, next will be team challenges and long video reviews, the NFL is a horrible viewing spectacle, it would be a shame for football to go the same way.

Amen to that, it will be yet another nail in the coffin of what was once the greatest game. One of the attractions of football is the fast flow of it all this VAR will do is make a 90 minute game into a much longer one. As for NFL games you are right they are a bore with all the stop start, 60 minute game that lasts anything up to 3 hours, it's a farce.

Amen to that, it will be yet another nail in the coffin of what was once the greatest game. One of the attractions of football is the fast flow of it all this VAR will do is make a 90 minute game into a much longer one. As for NFL games you are right they are a bore with all the stop start, 60 minute game that lasts anything up to 3 hours, it's a farce.
Although not at the same level Rugby is also stop start (as is Cricket & Tennis) so using these as an example is also largely irrelevant IMHO.

Back