• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

It's still a risky game though if our plan is a late deal, other clubs could come in last minute or someone could get an injury that forces their club to sign cover.

How many creative midfielders players are there? Very few . If Dier is worth £60m Barkley is worth more. He is a bargain at £30m in today's market.

We could easily end up paying more for less. How much he has left on his contract is not a good reason to do that. We will not get him on a free because of our wage structure.

How many creative midfielders players are there? Very few . If Dier is worth £60m Barkley is worth more. He is a bargain at £30m in today's market.

We could easily end up paying more for less. How much he has left on his contract is not a good reason to do that. We will not get him on a free because of our wage structure.

Sancho for £3m vs Barkley for £30m is the biggest no-brainer off all time. And Dier is 10 times the player Barkley will ever be

And with Barkley out injured till December, so not able to cover Alli's CL suspension, there's even less point now.

Dier and Barkley arent even comparible, so its a bit of a nonsense thing to try and push. Its not an either/or situation.

Has Barkley been confirmed as out until December? Last I saw it was unconfirmed but reported as 6 weeks, so the end of September if you believe reports and "?" if you dont. First Ive seen December mentioned.

With a year left on his deal Barlkey isnt £30m for me, but Im not the one in charge of the money. I only get to decide whether or not Id like him to join, and even then that counts for little.

Personally the answer is yes. I think he is a player with big potential who has been underserved in his education by has managers the last few years.

I am very excited to see what could become of him with a real manager leading his development.

Sancho for £3m vs Barkley for £30m is the biggest no-brainer off all time. And Dier is 10 times the player Barkley will ever be

And with Barkley out injured till December, so not able to cover Alli's CL suspension, there's even less point now.
Barkley has a hell of a lot more talent than Dier. Of course what Dier has over Barkley is awareness and discipline. One thing I would say though is that I would expect Pochettino to be able to coach the awareness and discipline into Barkley, whereas I don't think Poch can coach 'talent' into Dier.

Barkley has a hell of a lot more talent than Dier. Of course what Dier has over Barkley is awareness and discipline. One thing I would say though is that I would expect Pochettino to be able to coach the awareness and discipline into Barkley, whereas I don't think Poch can coach 'talent' into Dier.

Agree on Barkley but that's harsh on Dier, I think he's an extremely talented defensive midfielder and very good center back. Both players have talent in their respective positions, but I'd say Dier has shown a lot more talent as a DM than Barkley has as an AM!

I find the comparisons with Dier very strange to be honest, ones an attacker and ones defensive!

He got a new grade 3 hamstring tear, and is out for at least 3 months:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-ross-barkley-suffers-hamstring-13476651
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/17/tottenham-chelsea-not-put-ross-barkley-injury-race-everton-midfielder/

Dier and Barkley yes, obviously, very different positions. But Dier is a perfect modern DM - tactically astute, technically excellent - who could walk into most teams in the world. Whereas Barkley is a showboater with bit of strength, but not one ounce of intelligence

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-ross-barkley-suffers-hamstring-13476651
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/17/tottenham-chelsea-not-put-ross-barkley-injury-race-everton-midfielder/

Dier and Barkley yes, obviously, very different positions. But Dier is a perfect modern DM - tactically astute, technically excellent - who could walk into most teams in the world. Whereas Barkley is a showboater with bit of strength, but not one ounce of intelligence

I'd hold off proclaiming the three month lay-off with any degree of confidence.
The only words from Koeman seem to be not even sure that it's the hamstring, let alone giving a timescale as per your Telegraph link.
Talk of December and the grade 3 tear seems to just be supposition from journalists. Unless you've seen a recent quote which wasn't in those links you put up.

Neither of those are reputable sources, nor detailed in anyway. The first was released at exactly the same time Koeman was saying how Barkley will be having scans and the damage was yet to be determined:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40952115

The second says "3 months" but is the only place I can find to say so, in fact the last thing I can find about it is the comments above, and nothing bar your link reported since. Im not sure I would put too much faith in to be quite honest.

Picking and choosing pieces to support your construct isnt really the same as having an actual point of fact on the matter.

As to Barkley and Dier, again with the argument you are building - it has no point - they are not comparible players.

They dont over lap, they arent either/or or in competition. They would likely end up playing together at times, and IMO would probably compliment each other nicely.

As to Dier, yes I agree, fabulous player and one I hope we keep for a long time.

As to Barkley, I disagree, but it is of course opinion. For me he is a fantactically talented player who has never had a manager to develop him*. While I dont know how much more he can develop, I think he has huge potential and Poch is the perfect man to tap into whatever he has to offer. So for me its a really exciting prospect.

*Moyes doesnt know what to do with a player like that, Martinez could develop a player if his life depended on it and Koeman wrote him off at first glance.

Reactions: DTA
Neither of those are reputable sources, nor detailed in anyway. The first was released at exactly the same time Koeman was saying how Barkley will be having scans and the damage was yet to be determined:

The second says "3 months" but is the only place I can find to say so, in fact the last thing I can find about it is the comments above, and nothing bar your link reported since. Im not sure I would put too much faith in to be quite honest.

Picking and choosing pieces to support your construct isnt really the same as having an actual point of fact on the matter.

As to Barkley and Dier, again with the argument you are building - it has no point - they are not comparible players.

They dont over lap, they arent either/or or in competition. They would likely end up playing together at times, and IMO would probably compliment each other nicely.

As to Dier, yes I agree, fabulous player and one I hope we keep for a long time.

As to Barkley, I disagree, but it is of course opinion. For me he is a fantactically talented player who has never had a manager to develop him*. While I dont know how much more he can develop, I think he has huge potential and Poch is the perfect man to tap into whatever he has to offer. So for me its a really exciting prospect.

*Moyes doesnt know what to do with a player like that, Martinez could develop a player if his life depended on it and Koeman wrote him off at first glance.

I wouldn't bother, @Gutter Boy s mind is obviously made up on this one. He hates Barkley or at mininum doesn't rate him.......just as **insert here name of other newcomers he didn't rate**:p

Least he puts his neck on the line. i just wouldnt waste the time arguing, he's on rails with this one.

"No, you've got nice hair."

Levy probably started the whole "December/3 months out"..........if he should have he would have probably gone for longer.

They would be paying us to take him of their hands....if Daniel could get away with it.

Utter tripe

Said almost everyone when I was criticising Sissoko 12 months ago for similar reasons

I'm not sure that almost everyone a year ago was failing to criticise Sissoko.
There was a lot of suspicion.
A fair bit of hope that Poch was seeing something to work with.

On Sissoko, I don't think you can honestly paint yourself as a lone voice in the wilderness crying.
Maybe you could with regard to your pre-signing thoughts on Wanyama and Alderweireld... ;)

Back