• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

I don't think a player like Barkley is needed if we have Eriksen Alli, Son and Lanela to sit behind the striker. A deep lying midfielder who can fit in for Dembele is key imo and Kovacic would be ideal and gives us a different dimension.

Alternatively someone else could say we do not need a deep lying midfielder when Dier, Wanyama, Winks and Dembele can play in those positions :D
The problem with Lamela I wonder if we can rely on him being fit for the new season.

I would like us to buy a naturally pacey winger capable of dribbling down the flanks with pace.

As for Mateo Kovacic I hear he is very high on AC Milan's shopping list

Would prefer Mahrez to Barkley. IMHO he is far better. I don't know much about attitude issues but on the pitch, the Algerian takes it.

If I could only chose one of the two I would go for Mahrez too, alas I doubt he will sign for a club that will pay him less than £100K a week

Again - our considerations tend to be biased towards a player's attitude first, as opposed to his skill. Judging by our past transfer windows, this is how we operate under Poch.

The brutal facts are that Mahrez has had half a good season in the Premier League. He has sulked, he has struggled, he has been far from convincing this year. And he's on 100k a week on top of it - it's correspondingly hard to see him taking a wage cut to come to us.

Then there are the physical considerations. We are moving to Wembley, and if we lose Walker, we will be badly in need of physicality and pace elsewhere in the side (to make up for the loss of these attributes in Walker - Trippier's neither fast nor particularly strong/big). Both are key to our system in particular, and succeeding at Wembley more broadly (due to the extra space we'll need to cover on a regular basis). Okay, most attacking midfielders aren't blessed with both attributes. But Mahrez is neither quick nor strong.

Overall, there are a lot of potential problems with the idea of signing Mahrez. Better to go for a more suitable player, imo.

Interesting and really well articulated thoughts there mate...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Well, Everton fans on GOT are making the point that Burnley are asking for 25m for Keane and *rse are asking for 35m for Oxlade-Chamberlain, both on the last years of their respective contracts - thus, they should at least be getting 30m-odd for Barkley.

I don't think he'll come for 20m, definitely not. Maybe 25m, but that's still half of their publicly stated price. Might well be more. Thus, I'm not sure if that's the route worth going down - spending 25m+ on someone who won't necessarily be a starter straight away. Not to mention wages - Barkley will presumably want 100k a week or thereabouts, which I'm not sure he necessarily deserves yet.

Yeah, but other Everton fans (again, on GOT) are making the point that Barkley outdoes Siggy quite comfortably on several indicators -

View attachment 3331

(Courtesy GOT - https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ross-barkley.77981/page-1603#post-5481061 )
Cherry picking stats there. If you choose per 90 minutes metrics and add a few more statistics, it becomes totally different.

So let me get this right, you think Mahrez is not a suitable signing but in the Sissoko thread you have been defending his contribution this season? I find that hard to rationalise

Well, yeah. Doesn't seem so strange to me - Sissoko is ours, and that still means something as long as he's here. Mahrez is not, so I don't have to make allowances in his case.

Cherry picking stats there. If you choose per 90 minutes metrics and add a few more statistics, it becomes totally different.

Sure, but he's not completely useless, going by those metrics. GOT has a civil war on between people who think he's leaving and so automatically rationalize it by calling him brick, people who think he's staying and thus defend him to the death, and people who think he's leaving but think it will be a big loss and aren't as dismissive as the first group. Given those circumstances, expecting a neutral analysis is pretty optimistic. :p

I'm not a big fan of Barkley, but I don't think he's useless, nor do I don't think he would improve our first 11, and for the money he'll probably cost, I think there are other players out there that are equally good/better for less money.
What goes for Barkley, is that he is English and knows the league. He would improve our squad.

I've read somewhere that someone heard we turned down his wage demands (130k) and he's now staying for slightly less (120k). I'm choosing to believe that for now over the flimflam peddlers known as journalists.

I've read somewhere that someone heard we turned down his wage demands (130k) and he's now staying for slightly less (120k). I'm choosing to believe that for now over the flimflam peddlers known as journalists.

There was a rumour he wanted £180k a week somewhere which is bonkers

If we end up signing him I think he'd be a far, far better squad addition than in previous seasons. Proven Prem quality, unfulfilled potential which I personally believe Poch could tap into. He frankly fits the schematic for our transfer wishes, so again, I would be good with this. I still think Dubai is bang on re: Mahrez...

Can Everton really afford to be paying players 120k a week?

Levy wouldn't be agreeing to any more than 80k a week I'd imagine based on our top earners getting 100k.

Can Everton really afford to be paying players 120k a week?

Levy wouldn't be agreeing to any more than 80k a week I'd imagine based on our top earners getting 100k.
Can they afford it financially? Sure.

Can they afford it as in it's a good idea and the best way to spend their money? Not so sure.

Can they afford it financially? Sure.

Can they afford it as in it's a good idea and the best way to spend their money? Not so sure.
Didn't they always pay huge wages in comparison to us - seem to recall Duncan Ferguson and Kevin Campbell were reportedly on £90K way back when

Didn't they always pay huge wages in comparison to us - seem to recall Duncan Ferguson and Kevin Campbell were reportedly on £90K way back when

No chance that is even remotely true as that would have made them the highest paid players in the world by a considerable distance at the time

Back