• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rome

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
Am going to book a weekend away to Rome at the end of May, anybody been ??

If yes, any tips on where to stay, what to do, etc, etc

I await your helpful responses

Did it 3 years ago mate, was great we stayed in a hotel near the main train station which is perfect for the hop on hop off bus tour. We got a two day pass and used this instead of public transport as it stops at all the places of interest.

You can do all the main sites in 2 days, I refused to go in the Vatican but the wife said it was nice. The Spanish steps are just basically steps but the is a poetry museum next to it. Can not remember where we ate but the place is full of restaurants so you want need to worry about booking dinner up.

I would also recommend if you have time to do a day trip down to the Amalfi coast is amazing down there.

One of my favourite holidays and would happily return.

I went last year, I loved it but was a bit disappointed as almost every sight seeing place we went to was covered in scaffolding.

The Trevi fountain was drained, had perspex fence up and scaffolding covering the whole thing, the Spanish steps have a fountain at the bottom and that was drained and had perspex fence with advertising on covering the whole thing, the towers at the top of the steps were covered too. The Vatican had various scaffolding up covering one wall of the courtyard and various sections inside as well. The Coliseum also had one section covered too but this wasn't too bad as it's massive and didn't impact too much.

I appreciate that these things need some maintenance but the thing that annoyed me the most was that they decided to do all the repairs that one weekend, I could have lived with one thing being out of action but everything seemed to take the **** a bit. I'd try to find out if there's any planned maintenance the weekend your looking to go just in case it's a regular or ongoing thing.

On the plus side, it's a lovely city, there's fountains and statues round every corner and it's all fairly compact and walk-able, if you're so inclined.

We also stayed by the main station and did the bus tour, the only problem we found was that it only went in one direction, in some cities they have them going both ways so you can get too and from a place easily but you have to do the whole trip whether you like it or not.

As with most cities you pay a premium at the restaurants near the sights, we ate overlooking the Pantheon and it was really nice but definitely the most expensive meal we had. We also ate in Navona square which I'd highly recommend, nice atmosphere, some good statues and fountains but not too expensive, best Gnocchi ever too!

I went when we played Lazio. Stayed at a place called the Hotel Raffaelo near Termini, which was fine for the one night we were there. Didn't really see much of the hotel as it was a case of check-in:go-out:eat:drink:football:drink:sleep:checkout:eat:drink!

It was an easy walk to the Colloseum, the Roman Forum, the Vittorio Emanuele monument, Trevi fountain, etc, etc... it ended up with quite a lot of walking in the end, but there were plenty of places to stop for food and drink en route!

No idea where we ate or drank, but it was all pretty good. I guess we got lucky.

Lovely city. Would definitely go again.

Great place and if you have time the Vatican is amazing. Be very careful on public transport there's loads of scammers and pickpockets.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Book the guided tour for the Coliseum, saves time queueing and gets you to places the riff raff don`t get to see.
Go to the Vatican, get there early although there is always a queue. I`m not catholic or even remotely religious but enjoyed it.
The Sistine Chapel was a let down, too many tourists sitting about chatting but something you should still see.
Watch out for the cabbies "you only gave me 20euros" when you know you gave him a fifty. It happened to my daughter who i suppose he saw as an easy target.

I haven't been for 20 years, I remember that it was B.A.S.T.A.R.D hot in August, we just walked from one fountain to the next so we could put our heads under water. Students eh?

I couldn't get into the Vatican as I had shorts/t-shirt on and you had to have your limbs covered. FFS, I only wanted to take a quick look. I didn't want to disrespect your holiness. I knew Muslims were funny like that. What can you expect from religion though? Nutters.

I remember Piazza Navona was nice. Spanish steps were boring, Fontana Trevi was OK but boring after about 3 minutes.

Went there for our honey moon, stayed a couple of streets from the Spanish steps. Rented a private little flat in an old house with rooftop access overlooking the whole city, think it was £100/night or so. Not the best of standards, but you can't beat the location and I very much enjoy living amongst the locals when travelling. "When in Rome"...couldn't be more fitting!

Anyway, great city and I'd love to go back and explore it more.

Agree with block31, if you're visiting Coliseum, just buy a guided tour and skip the queues. The Vatican was a hell of a wait too, but worth it, that place is unbelievable!

Don't **** in the fountains, it's frowned upon.

Went a couple of years ago. Wherever you went, there was always someone trying to sell you a selfie stick.

Brilliant city, been a few times

- Be prepared to walk, do go visit the forums, worth it
- Go see the Coliseum, if you want to make it slightly surreal, go via underground, you come up the stairs to exit underground and the first sight is the Coliseum, the walk from new to old is an experience. also good to see at night
- Sorry I didn't reply earlier, there is a tour of the Vaitcan Catacobs that is worth doing (you have to email them your dates and hope you get lucky. It's a climate controlled area, so tour groups are small and they do a limited number per day), the bonus is you get dropped off inside Vatican without the lines.
- Eat local, Roman food can be amazing.
- Have a good hotel we use, I'll look it up and post later

Back