• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Mate your first question was who said it (implying that nobody did). After i show you someone did indeed say it you now seem to have an issue with why i'm getting heat up (i assume that's what 'het' meant). Let's just leave it.
And if you read it with the second sentence you will see that it is a rhetorical question.

It does not matter a jot who you, I, GB or anyone else thinks should be first choice striker.

People are just passing the time talking about football. So please just lighten up and stop picking over everything looking for something to get uptight about.

And if you read it with the second sentence you will see that it is a rhetorical question.

It does not matter a jot who you, I, GB or anyone else thinks should be first choice striker.

People are just passing the time talking about football. So please just lighten up and stop picking over everything looking for something to get uptight about.

That's how you took it yeh? me asking when Ade became deputy is me being uptight and picking on everything?

In reality it was not and i was merely asking a question (something everyone on this damn site does) but it seems you're the one taking exception to something and not me. In future please either answer the question or ignore the post but don't try and make a mountain out of a molehill and imply that i'm doing something that i'm not (ie that i'm criticising or mocking GB's opinion)

GB this is to you and you only. When in your mind did Ade become the deputy striker?

Last edited:
As I said - I have no beef with soldado nor will I stick behind Ade at any costs. My point is that 9/10 Ade will bring far more to the table.

The issue with soldado is that so many people went very big, early doors on him and are hoping beyond hope that he can prove them right. I was super excited as well but last year he was awful. Also it is convenient for people to say that 'TS left him out and under AVB he was starved of service' ..... Lest not forget that sherwood gave him a chance and after consistently missing sitters and failing to impact on games with an inform partner, he was rightfully dropped. The guy will always struggle in our team and in the premier league in general and so far he has proved me right.

I do think that against city he showed some heart and I would give him more opportunities in the next few weeks. The reason why Ade should play against Saudi Sportswashing Machine is that they will sit deep and we will have little or no space. If we play with soldado we will have to find the perfect pass (as we did for the first 4 months of last season) and we may well struggle. A bit of physicality up there will make a big difference and will hopefully stop them sitting too deep as we can go more direct. Play Kane if need be but I think for games like that we should leave bob out if he plays on his own

A 9/10 Ade is only likely to show up 3-4 times a season. The rest of the games he will give us.... well, what he's given us so far. He's one of the most enigmatic footballers I have ever seen, it's the same every club he goes to, you never know what you will get from him. I think most people acknowledge Soldado has been very poor so far and will more than likely not be suited to English football, but that doesn't mean a new manager with new ideas and better midfielders to what we had last season can't get the best out of Soldado.

I think for everyone hoping they are proved right with regards to him coming good, there are just as many who don't rate him and are hoping to be proved right in that respect.

Not at all - the spurs fans who wrote chadli off at the end of last season did so because he was an unknown quantity who hadn't done too much. He improved consistently from feb onwards and even when he started to play well people still said he was rubbish.

As spurs fans, we cling onto the glamour signings and pray they come off - soldado doesn't have the basic tools or hunger to do well in the prem. That's my opinion and from what I see and what I hear ....'Sherwood's comments on him were not in anyway a shock. I hope I am wrong but for me the performance against city was an exceptional one against a team
Who had little or no respect for us and did not worry about shutting up shop.

Again please let me be wrong, but on Sunday I see us not being able to create anything with him up top. Ade does a lot more work than people give him credit for and brings people into the game. I don't get why people do not see that he is asked to work channels to give us the ball higher up - soldado struggles with this hence I would imagine he is instructed not to. With our 2011 team, soldado would have had a chance of doing well but in our current state he isn't up to it.

It's ridiculous, but one game where he played well as he was afforded some space, people are now jumping on the bandwagon that he should be first choice? Some of these people are the ones who don't give rose any respect despite being our best player this season so far. This is what annoys me about our fans and out overall outlook on our team.

Sorry but I just cannot agree with that. Having a go at Soldado for not having hunger but Adebayor does? :lol:

We barely created anything against West Brom, ironically, the two best chances fell to Ade who missed the ball completely on one of them. It's not like Ade running the channels as you say is helping us score goals, haven't we scored the lowest total in the top half? I can't imagine Poch is happy with that. We looked more threatening on Saturday than we have all season.

GB this is to you and you only. When in your mind did Ade become the deputy striker?

Saturday lunchtime. About a month of poor performances from Ade, Soldado getting the nod from Poch, and then putting in probably our best CF display of the season. I'm fairly confident Poch will pick him ahead of Ade again for the next couple of league games at least.

I think things like this go very much with form/recent selection decisions. IMO Mason is our 2nd best CM at the moment (behind Capoue), whereas a month ago he was in my mind 6th (behind Carroll).

More on the whole system debate, people have been arguing that Adebayor is more suited to Poch's system, but it's actually Soldado who looked more comfortable playing with Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli. I swear one poster even posted some stats to how often Rickie Lambert dropped deep or went wide last season and how it was far less than what Ade is doing now.

More on the whole system debate, people have been arguing that Adebayor is more suited to Poch's system, but it's actually Soldado who looked more comfortable playing with Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli. I swear one poster even posted some stats to how often Rickie Lambert dropped deep or went wide last season and how it was far less than what Ade is doing now.

I think people maybe just thought Ade would fit his system better because like Lambert and Osvaldo he is tall.

I really like Ade - he works hard and is an excellent outlet. But for me the intelligence of Soldado's link-up play and his movement suit a passing team much better.

One solution to the Ade issue might be to use him as an option for the Chadli role? Didn't he use to play LWF at Madrid?

Zero strength for a big guy, pace suspect (He has some but rarely uses it) and it looks like he's kicking concrete when he shoots let alone trying to cross the ball!!

Saturday lunchtime. About a month of poor performances from Ade, Soldado getting the nod from Poch, and then putting in probably our best CF display of the season. I'm fairly confident Poch will pick him ahead of Ade again for the next couple of league games at least.

I think things like this go very much with form/recent selection decisions. IMO Mason is our 2nd best CM at the moment (behind Capoue), whereas a month ago he was in my mind 6th (behind Carroll).

That seems logical and i think that aligns with the way Poch chooses his teams. If you do well in games and train well.....you're in. No matter who you are.

The one issue with effectively bombing Ade out is whether there is any fall out.........as in we could well 'lose' Ade.

It was me who posted a link to an article looking at who out of Ade and Soldado would better suit Poch's tactics.

It was written in preseason and concluded than neither were ideally suited (arguing that Ade is happy dropping deep and wide but doesn't then break into the box, Bobby is happiest further forward and doesn't drop deep and link play enough).

I personally had some doubts about how Soldado would link with the three behind him. I think that whilst there is obviously room for further improvement, Soldado played well on Saturday and largely proved me wrong.

One final point, I think that whilst Ade is not in the best form at the moment, some of the criticism of him has been over the top.

I understand trying to second guess who will play where in pochs system in comparison with soton, but who's to say Poch will want to play exact same system?
Surely he had to tailor the system a little to the players he has. To my mind that's why apart from Hugo, eriksen, Lamella and chadli places are up for grabs.
You are severely limiting yourself if you have one rigid system and need certain players to play it.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I don't think it's chemistry. I think it's wavelength. And it's not just Soldado and Lamela, but Eriksen and Chadli too. Compared to their deputies (Ade, Lennon, Paulinho and Townsend), there's just so much more footballing intelligence in our primary quartet.

I think a big part of the trouble with Soldado has been that he has played most of his games with Lennon and Townsend (autumn 13 under AVB and then in our cup team this season). You could see him stop making runs when he quickly twigged that Lennon and Townsend were never going to find him. Put some creative AMs with a bit of vision behind him like Eriksen and Lamela, and hopefully he remembers how to offer the devastating movement that he was so renowned for.

Agree with this post.

IF we are to play Nobby we HAVE to give him the tool. I think those four do combine very very well. He should get a run. For the record, I have no issues with Ade whatsoever because it is my belief that he is deployed in a different role, but I'd like to see Nobby & sons given a chance now as that avenue gives them all a chance to shine.

I think people maybe just thought Ade would fit his system better because like Lambert and Osvaldo he is tall.

I really like Ade - he works hard and is an excellent outlet. But for me the intelligence of Soldado's link-up play and his movement suit a passing team much better.

One solution to the Ade issue might be to use him as an option for the Chadli role? Didn't he use to play LWF at Madrid?

Another fine post IMO...we would certainly see if Ade was up for it there, because one thing Chadli has done well is switch off with others and get in the box!

What people are you talking about? Poch? The coaching staff? Are you talking about some people in here?

Last edited:
I hope Soldado and Kane both start v Villa, but if it is to be one of them, then Kane all day long. (and night time kick offs too:)

We've seen it enough times now, he is an intelligent player and one who clearly has a good understanding with Lamella. Maybe those two will bring the best out of each other? Either way I really wish Poch would give him a run in the PL...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Soldado is an outstanding footballer. It's just a shame we've seen more of that side to him as opposed to his goals otherwise he'd be a crowd favourite. I hope he gets a start on Sunday.

Back