• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Raheem Sterling

Vastly overrated. How many times do we have to hype up a young winger? When was the last time we actually produced a real world class winger? Sterling will be the next SWP, Lennon etc the next boy wonder who ends up being nothing better than a decent premiership player who was never good enough to take it to that next level.

He is still very young but I think he has a ways to go. For as dangerous as he is touted to be he rarely has any end product. I suppose that could come with age but then again maybe not.

Some have compared him to Lennon and I think that is very accurate and unfortunately Azza hasn't really gotten much better with his end product as some of us expected. I am not meaning to slate Azza but I think most of us would agree we thought he would be much more prolific at this point.

I think that Lennon's end product has improved massively since he first broke through.

Vastly overrated. How many times do we have to hype up a young winger? When was the last time we actually produced a real world class winger? Sterling will be the next SWP, Lennon etc the next boy wonder who ends up being nothing better than a decent premiership player who was never good enough to take it to that next level.

I think it's because we (as a nation) overemphasis pace at the expense of technique and guile.

Very few pure speed merchants become world class - Robben, possibly Bale will. Most though suffer the typical English problem of being hapless when the game is slowed and they are given time on the ball and/or a deep sitting defence.

I think it's because we (as a nation) overemphasis pace at the expense of technique and guile.

Very few pure speed merchants become world class - Robben, possibly Bale will. Most though suffer the typical English problem of being hapless when the game is slowed and they are given time on the ball and/or a deep sitting defence.

IMO Bale is world class now. But aside from that you make a good point. I also don't get taken in by a few flashes of brilliance in a game like Taarabt. Townsend was guilty of losing the ball and not tracking back for a recent goal against us.
Bur Sterling seems like he can do the creative and the hard working stuff and we need cover on the right. Come on down if the price is right.

Perhaps partially true. However Sterling is 17 (just about 18 maybe?), at that age and with his physical ability if you get him a decent manager who can guide him right he will become a world beater.

As a nation we may overemphasise pace because it works, during our year in the CL it was our pace that sides in Europe struggled with.

I would take him if the price was half decent. However it won't be, because he's English and it's Liverpool.

Last edited:

Very few players become world class in general.

What do you mean by speed merchants? By my understanding of the term I think it's very harsh to label Robben and Bale as speed merchants as they both have a lot more to their game than just pace.

Sterling probably has become over rated right now, but those that see him as a very talented prospect that might become very good are right imo.

I don't think Lennon has improved all that much since he burst onto the scene, yes he's become a more rounded/solid(some would say less exciting) player but I don't see him as being massively better at 25 than he was at 18. Here's a short video of him in his first season aged 18(a year older than Sterling), I would say quality-wise they're quite similar at comparitive age.

[video=youtube;LFEx3stw7iM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFEx3stw7iM[/video]

I don't think Lennon has improved all that much since he burst onto the scene, yes he's become a more rounded/solid(some would say less exciting) player but I don't see him as being massively better at 25 than he was at 18. Here's a short video of him in his first season aged 18(a year older than Sterling), I would say quality-wise they're quite similar at comparitive age.

[video=youtube;LFEx3stw7iM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFEx3stw7iM[/video]

He can cross the ball now. Looking at that it cuts away time and again before he fudges up the cross or tries a drag back or something and allows the defence chance to recover as he passes it inside. Still had the same skills and tricks but he can use them more effectively now.

He reminds me so much of Lennon at that age it's scary. The guy will be a very good player in the future - the sort of person that a full back would dread playing against.

I agree. Will always be someone on the edge of an England call up, playing for the likes of Liverpool his whole career etc.

Won't be world class. Like Lennon.

no of course not but when talking about end product it certainly does

but his end product has improved. I'm not looking at assist and goals stats when I can clearly see it has. Bale got 1 assist I believe in the 2010/2011 season yet he is one of the best crossers of the ball I have seen, especially in a Spurs shirt.

but his end product has improved. I'm not looking at assist and goals stats when I can clearly see it has. Bale got 1 assist I believe in the 2010/2011 season yet he is one of the best crossers of the ball I have seen, especially in a Spurs shirt.

Pass against Pana yesterday was glorious in its simplicity.

Wasn't he supposed to sign a new deal today? Anyway I read this earlier from Rodgers -

In order to reach that point, Rodgers has spoken on several occasions to Sterling. He has reminded him about the chance he has been afforded at Anfield, the role Liverpool have played in his development and the rewards that will be there for him if he makes the right moves.

'There are good conversations and there is no worry or concern - it will be resolved,' said Rodgers. 'I'm comfortable with it. The club is working on it very well; Ian Ayre's doing a good job. I've spoken to the agent; there's no problem.

'There has been a lot made of it but there are still 18 months left (on Sterling's current deal). He's a young kid and we just want to make sure that everything's right for him to be nurtured. I have spoken to Raheem. I've gone through what I'd call the core elements of his development.'

I'll believe his word over transfermarkt's on this one.

The Sun running a story today that United are trying to sign Sterling, that would be funny if they did

Back