• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism in football

Doubling down I see.

If youre going to be narky about perfectly reasonable points raised in good faith, at least have a counter argument so we can discuss.

My counter would be the word offends some people and I don't think it's either reasonable or helpful trying to find an excuse to continue doing it. That counts for nothing in the minds of those who either refuse or can't see it's offensive and simply want to chant mindlessly at football matches, I am one of those miserable supporters who doesn't stand for the other childish chant as I don't hate anybody in whatever context.

My counter would be the word offends some people and I don't think it's either reasonable or helpful trying to find an excuse to continue doing it. That counts for nothing in the minds of those who either refuse or can't see it's offensive and simply want to chant mindlessly at football matches, I am one of those miserable supporters who doesn't stand for the other childish chant as I don't hate anybody in whatever context.

Theres a very big difference, IMO, between clear hateful speech, and the use of Yid in the stadium.

I suspect thats where we diverge in the first place.

I also think (in general) just because someone decides something is offensive, that doesnt necessarily make them right - and therefore it doesnt necessarily follow that everyone should be censored to accommodate.

As with most things, understanding - on either side - is more a solution than simply banning things.

I'm a fool I thought there was racism in football as there is in life but words and names MUST be put in context, you can shout what you want as long as you think it's in the right context, for full details see Yids chants.

Are you Jewish? Can't remember mon frere?

No, my ancestors were, just someone who doesn't believe it's ok to chant words which offend or hurt people of any race, colour, sexual orientation, religion or nation.
What do you think the police should do about <someone who knows about rap music please insert name of rapper here> and their use of racially discriminatory terms?

Sweary words tend to cause offence amongst Christians. Should we ban all swearing?

What do you think the police should do about <someone who knows about rap music please insert name of rapper here> and their use of racially discriminatory terms?

Sweary words tend to cause offence amongst Christians. Should we ban all swearing?

I would hope the fans would show some class and wit and try finding something which wouldn't cause offence, I don't believe it's a matter for the police, more for the club to make a stand.

Did they think he should play through it or did they think he was doing a Rudiger?

As teammates they should back him, regardless. It's clear he's receiving abuse and he's made a conscious decision not to stand for it.

Either help him off the pitch or all go off with him in solidarity. Don't try and force him to just play through, that's the absolute incorrect approach.

As teammates they should back him, regardless. It's clear he's receiving abuse and he's made a conscious decision not to stand for it.

Either help him off the pitch or all go off with him in solidarity. Don't try and force him to just play through, that's the absolute incorrect approach.
If he's done a Rudiger (I'm not suggesting he has) then they absolutely shouldn't back him.

If he's taken racist abuse then they absolutely should back him. I'd just like to know why they didn't - do they not care about racism or do they think he did a Rudiger, in which case the correct action is to shame him.

If he's done a Rudiger (I'm not suggesting he has) then they absolutely shouldn't back him.

If he's taken racist abuse then they absolutely should back him. I'd just like to know why they didn't - do they not care about racism or do they think he did a Rudiger, in which case the correct action is to shame him.
Surely doing a Rudiger is tactical, this guy actually walked, despite his team mates wanting him to stay.

Back