• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poor league results

It's terrible. I just read the season ended today. Final league table has us below Burnley. And we're being deducted 20 points for next year and have been banned from Europe for 10 years. All because of Poch's book.
I like your sarcasm. You won't be so sarcastic if we continue this poor run.

I like your sarcasm.
Thanks. I like your catastrophic reactions to a really s hitty month or so of league results after two years of the club massively overachieving in terms of budget and resources. Cheer up, mate. While this is annoying (a Gooner I know has been texting me 'Mind The Gap' pics all afternoon AND we just bought season tickets next to each other at LAFC), it's part of the ride. And while we might have tipped over the edge and have all our best players leave and end up with Tony Pulis in a month, we probably won't.

Does this really warrant a new thread? Surely you could have posted your depressing negative pessimistic crap in the "Fed Up" thread? Or private message some other miserable posters and combine to create a general "Misery" thread.

Let me guess you've followed Spurs for all of five years and this recent slump makes you question your decision to support them in the first place.

Get a grip.

Might have to keep this handy...

ae12d6957e6a94d7bd26d9a621b57245146d97a095c20b8e4831791b9285f1dc.jpg

Too late for that. I've hit the bar.

Can I give you a word of advice? If you go for the hard stuff, go hard enough that you hit the deck and stay there. Then wake up in the morning and consider what makes you feel worse - Spurs, or the throbbing jackhammer in your head punishing you for your poor choices.

I often found, in my university days, that one of the few things that gave me a sense of perspective after a particularly Spurs.y fudgeup was getting so hammered that I woke up truly realizing that there were many different sorts of pains in the world - supporting Tottenham Hotspur in times like those was just one among many. Breakups didn't do it for me, losing friends didn't do it for me, failing at something didn't do it for me, falling into a mental abyss didn't do it for me. But physical pain probably did. :p

Just a personal anecdote from one of this place's resident men of great, black, bitter anger post-defeat.

Equally though, we can only speculate and review what has happened. We cannoy predict the future, but the future in instead forecast based upon what has happened and looking ahead. If these forecasts are wrong, then we will review a different set of events which could be a lot better/worse than had been anticipated. We can't just say season ends in May, and expect people not to review progress and speculate about the future, that's not realistic and that brings us back to saying where we are..which is why people are negative as we are below where we expected to be at this stage of the league season, but a lot ahead of CL expectations.

The reaction to our recent run from the fans has been shocking tbh. In 2 years this is the first stretch of bad league results, and it's not like it's even that bad. If we go on a run like we are capable of, we can very quickly establish ourselves back in the top 4 comfortably. Especially with games coming thick and fast.

I think it's less about our results, which yes were poor, but more that one was the much media publicised recent-power-shift NLD and that all the other "challengers" have earned 6-9 points from the last three games, compared to our paltry 1.
Dropping to 7th gives the media license to make a mountain out of a molehill.

A small blip, but compounded by success of those around us to make it appear much worse than it is.

Actually, scrap that! Those results mean it IS MUCH WORSE!!! Cue running around waving arms in a blind panic!!

We have the same points as last season, turned it around against the Hammers than won the next 6

Keep the faith
Not that I think we're in any sort of crisis but what has last season got to do with anything?

Teams have got stronger since previous seasons, Man C and Man U are back up fighting for top, Chelsea just as strong as last year, Arsenal and Liverpool on a par with us so last seasons results count for nothing as the top teams we took advantage of being weaker are now back....

Not that I think we're in any sort of crisis but what has last season got to do with anything?

Teams have got stronger since previous seasons, Man C and Man U are back up fighting for top, Chelsea just as strong as last year, Arsenal and Liverpool on a par with us so last seasons results count for nothing as the top teams we took advantage of being weaker are now back....

You can use last season's results as a comparison to estimate how many points we are on course for.

City and United are stronger, but Chelsea are weaker or just regressed to their mean. I think they'll all reach at least 80 points. Arse and Liverpool look like they'll get into the high 70s. That means we need at least 18 wins from the remaining 24 games, which means winning all our games against the other 14 and any points dropped there will have to be made up against the top 6. Hopefully City, United and Chelsea will take points off Arse and Pool.

You can use last season's results as a comparison to estimate how many points we are on course for.

City and United are stronger, but Chelsea are weaker or just regressed to their mean. I think they'll all reach at least 80 points. Arse and Liverpool look like they'll get into the high 70s. That means we need at least 18 wins from the remaining 24 games, which means winning all our games against the other 14 and any points dropped there will have to be made up against the top 6. Hopefully City, United and Chelsea will take points off Arse and Pool.
Yes but thats my point you cant - not when the strength of the same teams are variable year on year, aswell as other factors and the strengths of Spurs themselves might not be as great. Each season is very different, and I dont see how having more/less points than last season accounts for anything, league position for current season is far more telling....

I think what @markysimmo is saying is....we are in the same position (points) last year as this BUT wasn't moaning about a crisis.

I'd have to check though as maybe we were moaning after drawing a bunch?!

Edit:When Toby got injured (coincidence with this season?) in mid October we went a bit flat drew a few and lost a couple until we beat Hull 3-0. I think style wise we had gone flat then.

We cant do anything about how other teams strengthen, except buy players they want, and we cant even do that.

I am slighty worried as last season we had some real runs of decent results that gave us serious momentum, and i just can't see that this season, with Wembley and stronger opposition being the main reasons.

Last season we won 6 on the bounce after the Hull win and won (no draws) 12 out of the last 13. I just don't see that happening this season. We're be doing well to get in the 70's points wise imo.

We've basically lost 3 away games to Man u, Arse, and Leicester.....3 viable teams. The draw to West Brom certainly isnt good enough. But i don't see any bad signals and as Toby, Victor and Lamela get back on it we'll have the depth, and strength, to start knocking teams over.

Back