• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poor home defeats

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
The worst home defeats:

Taking into consideration level of opposition and performance he is a list of some of our previous worst home performances and defeats. There tends to be at least one per season:

Sept 2014: Spurs 0-1 WBA
A truly awful performance which only saw one shot on target in the entire game – the cliché ‘lucky to score 0’ springs to mind.

Oct 2013: Spurs 0-3 West Ham
The beginning of the end for AVB and this performance showed serious flaws in his strategy. A lacklustre 1st half performance set up a second period of further lethargy. Defoe missed a good chance at 0-0 and West Ham who would have been delighted with a draw broke three times and scored three times.

March 2013: Spurs 0-1 Fulham
Probably the game that took 4th spot away from us; this was in the run-in and Fulham hadn’t won at WHL in 10 years. In truth Fulham were abject scoring their only chance through Berbatov in the second half but apart from a Schwarzer save to deny Defoe late on we created very little.

Nov 2012: Spurs 0-1 Wigan
Wigan’s second win in 3 years at White Hart Lane. We were less than convincing in AVB’s early days and before Bale’s brilliant streak in 2013 we were deservedly beaten by a team who would go on to be relegated. We did rally after Watson’s second half goal but lacked cohesion all game.

Apr 2012: Spurs 1-2 Norwich
We expected to turn Norwich over as traditionally we always did. A rare Easter Monday fixture saw us start poorly and go behind. When Defoe equalised we all assumed we’d go on to win the game but we were unable to create any momentum and Norwich deservedly won with a late strike. Probably the game that proved Ledley was past his sell-by date.

Aug 2011: Spurs 0-1 Wigan
Having beaten Martinez’ team 9-1 less than a year earlier it was always going to be a case of how many? The players seemed to think so and following a poor defensive error Rodallega gave Wigan a deserved victory in front of a mini-bus load of travelling supporters.

Dec 2009: Spurs 0-1 Wolves
Kevin Doyle scored in the 2nd minute and this seemed like it would just delay the inevitable comfortable victory; despite dominating possession we weren’t clever enough in the final third and only forced their keeper into one meaningful save.

Oct 2009: Spurs 0-1 Stoke C
This is perhaps not a fair contender as we did create chances and got a little unlucky hitting the woodwork and finding Simonsen in good form for Stoke. Whelas struck late with Stoke’s first shot at goal.

Oct 2008: Spurs 0-1 Hull C
Ramos’ final game in charge at WHL and what a damp squid. The squad could at least claim a lack of confidence as some sort of excuse; Hull scored early on and we created very little to trouble them.

March 2008: Spurs 1-4 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
We were going through the motions having won the League Cup and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, back under Keegan, were desperately looking for points. Despite Bent giving us the lead we went home and allowed an awful Saudi Sportswashing Machine team to score 4 times.

Looking back, mainly at the Martin Jol era (2004 – 2007) I cant see any examples of us losing at home to poor teams and playing badly and before that we were equally as average so such performances/defeats weren’t so unusual or unexplained.

Given that I can't get to too many games, I seem to have seen rather too many of these games at close quarters.

I did say that these were all examples of playing against and losing to crap teams. City (twice) and Liverpool were at least very good teams who beat other teams by similar scorelines the same season and either won or came 2nd in the Premier League that season.

Last edited:
That was bad but Modric couldn't be bothered and that was hanging over us and we had Crouch up front. Plus Emirates Marketing Project completely blew us away. Today was worse IMO.

Redknapp send a team out with a central midfield of Modric and Kranjcar against Man ****ing City and you're blaming Crouch?
Kaboul and Dawson were directly at fault for 4 out of the 5 goals too.

The worst home defeats:

Taking into consideration level of opposition and performance he is a list of some of our previous worst home performances and defeats. There tends to be at least one per season:

A truly awful performance which only saw one shot on target in the entire game – the cliché ‘lucky to score 0’ springs to mind.

The beginning of the end for AVB and this performance showed serious flaws in his strategy. A lacklustre 1st half performance set up a second period of further lethargy. Defoe missed a good chance at 0-0 and West Ham who would have been delighted with a draw broke three times and scored three times.

Probably the game that took 4th spot away from us; this was in the run-in and Fulham hadn’t won at WHL in 10 years. In truth Fulham were abject scoring their only chance through Berbatov in the second half but apart from a Schwarzer save to deny Defoe late on we created very little.

Wigan’s second win in 3 years at White Hart Lane. We were less than convincing in AVB’s early days and before Bale’s brilliant streak in 2013 we were deservedly beaten by a team who would go on to be relegated. We did rally after Watson’s second half goal but lacked cohesion all game.

We expected to turn Norwich over as traditionally we always did. A rare Easter Monday fixture saw us start poorly and go behind. When Defoe equalised we all assumed we’d go on to win the game but we were unable to create any momentum and Norwich deservedly won with a late strike. Probably the game that proved Ledley was past his sell-by date.

Having beaten Martinez’ team 9-1 less than a year earlier it was always going to be a case of how many? The players seemed to think so and following a poor defensive error Rodallega gave Wigan a deserved victory in front of a mini-bus load of travelling supporters.

Kevin Doyle scored in the 2nd minute and this seemed like it would just delay the inevitable comfortable victory; despite dominating possession we weren’t clever enough in the final third and only forced their keeper into one meaningful save.

This is perhaps not a fair contender as we did create chances and got a little unlucky hitting the woodwork and finding Simonsen in good form for Stoke. Whelas struck late with Stoke’s first shot at goal.

Ramos’ final game in charge at WHL and what a damp squid. The squad could at least claim a lack of confidence as some sort of excuse; Hull scored early on and we created very little to trouble them.

We were going through the motions having won the League Cup and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, back under Keegan, were desperately looking for points. Despite Bent giving us the lead we went home and allowed an awful Saudi Sportswashing Machine team to score 4 times.

Looking back, mainly at the Martin Jol era (2004 – 2007) I cant see any examples of us losing at home to poor teams and playing badly and before that we were equally as average so such performances/defeats weren’t so unusual or unexplained.

The atmosphere was a millions times better during the Jol days.

The poisonous home league fans cause these performances, not vice versa

The atmosphere was a millions times better during the Jol days.

The poisonous home league fans cause these performances, not vice versa

It's a bit of both. ALL of the top teams fans behave in this way if the team isn't in front after 25 minutes so it's not specific to our fans. Arsenal fans are hardly the loudest, but they've always been formiddable at home.

The worst home defeats:

Even more depressing is the fact we have done the 400-mile round trip for every f#ckin one of those games. It has to be a toss-up between West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine for the worst, but I have to say that 3-0 loss to West Ham was probably the worst one, throw in the fact the night before we went to the RL Grand Final and saw Warrington throw away the chance to be Champions.
That was probably one of the worst sporting weekends of my life, and believe me, I've endured plenty of them

Ok, I've been looking back over some data and analysed our home results against teams we would expect to beat since 2005/6 - this part is quite subjective but I've discounted results against Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool (and selected games against Man C, Everton and Aston Villa depending on these teams league positions in respective seasons e.g. have not included matches against City since 2009/10).

Overall this includes 118 fixtures. Overall we have:
Won 83 (70%); Drawn 20 (17%) and lost 15 (13%)

Broken down per manager Sherwood (88%) and Jol (82%) are above par whilst Ramos (50%) and AVB (61%) are below.

I also looked at what happens depending on the state of the game at half-time as my initial theory was that if we are not winning at half-time we struggle. Well:

Overall we WIN 96% of games when we are winning at half-time
Overall we WIN 51% of games when we are drawing at half-time and
overall we DRAW 30% of games when we are drawing at half-time BUT
overall we LOSE 19% of games when we are drawing at half-time (i.e. today)

Essentially this means that if we are leading at half-time it's almost a certainty that we will go on to win (96%); however, if we are drawing at half-time it's a toss of a coin (51-49) whether we will go on to win the game but only a 19% likelihood (as was the case today) that we'll lose.

Again, these stats are all broken down per manager with the following interesting findings:

Under AVB we led at 1/2 time in only 2 (11%) of his 18 games (going on to win both) - the most common 1/2 time outcome being that we would be drawing (78%) - of those we won 57%. drew 21% and lost 21%

Although Sherwood only managed 8 games included in this data he had the highest conversion rate of 1/2 draw into full-time wins (75%) - after him was Jol (60%) and AVB (57%) which all above the overall average although the latter was reliant on Bale (v Saudi Sportswashing Machine, v So'ton and v Sunderland wonder goals in 2012-13).

Given that I can't get to too many games, I seem to have seen rather too many of these games at close quarters.
:lol: Just what I was thinking. There's no justice.

Redknapp send a team out with a central midfield of Modric and Kranjcar against Man ****ing City and you're blaming Crouch?
He did sponge up a fairly straightforward headed chance when the game was still relatively close, in fairness ;)

You've missed one;

DEC 2014: Spurs 0-5 Liverpool
There's something to look forward to then.

As a pure one off without taking into account wider issues, Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2008 was my personal worst. I walked out withabout 20 minutes left it was that bad. Only time in my Spurs supporting life I've done anything that extreme.

As a pure one off without taking into account wider issues, Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2008 was my personal worst. I walked out withabout 20 minutes left it was that bad. Only time in my Spurs supporting life I've done anything that extreme.

Thinking bac,k I don't think we must have been that far behind you

Back