• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: which transfer that didn't happen in Pochettino's reign was the most "one that got away" ?

Which transfer that didn't happen looks the most "sliding doors" now looking back?

• Morgan Schneiderlin

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Anthony Martial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saido Berahino

• Leroy Sane

• Sadio Mane

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Georginio Wijnaldum

• Jadon Sancho

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Keita Balde

• Frenkie De Jong

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Bruno Fernandes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No option for Rivaldo or Fernando Morientes, never mind the mother of them all Leandro Damiao.
Opened up this thread expecting to see Hazard, Willian, and Zidane listed. I guess the list are signings that might have been possible with Pochettino. From the list, the answer should be either Mane for the present moment and last couple of seasons, or Sancho for the future.
Hazard by a country mile ..
Kenwyne Jones. He could have been Drogba for us

Sorry peeps, i should have made it clear that this question only related to the time Poch has been our manager.
Have changed thread title to make it much clearer now...

If De Jong had agreed to come over, he'd surely have developed and future-proofed our midfield massively.
Totally understand his reason for staying at the time, frustating though it is.

For the player, Saido Berahino. I get the feeling his career would have been unrecognizably different had he signed for us in 2015. Being denied that move sent his career into a nosedive, and it will always be a 'what if' for him - poor guy.

For us, Morgan Schneiderlin, right at the beginning of Poch's tenure. Back in 2014, signing him + Jay Rodriguez would have been a massive statement of intent in terms of backing our manager right from the get go. Sadly, Levy did his usual circus act, delayed and cheaped out, and we ended up with bargain bin Stambouli and Fazio, who were unceremoniously shipped out a year later and clearly outlined that Levy's priority was to be cheap, not to back his man - a stance that has only changed now, and then only partly.

Plus, tactically, Schneiderlin + Dembele would have offered us an unbeatable DM combo - one was an elite distributor of the ball, with long passes from deep, and the other an elite carrier of the ball. Together, they could have allowed us to unlock defenses at will, while being a solid shield at the back. Instead, we went with Mason + Bentaleb, and then Dier + Dembele, and Wanyama + Dembele. We've always missed having a distributor from deep in midfield, which formed a key component of Poch's quick transitions at Southampton.

If De Jong had agreed to come over, he'd surely have developed and future-proofed our midfield massively.
Totally understand his reason for staying at the time, frustating though it is.

De Jong would have meant no Ndombele - they're functionally identical players, and I think both are at the top end of talent for us. I'm not too fussed about De Jong, since we have Ndombele and, with luck and a bit of effort, we can turn him into a player every bit as good.

For the player, Saido Berahino. I get the feeling his career would have been unrecognizably different had he signed for us in 2015. Being denied that move sent his career into a nosedive, and it will always be a 'what if' for him - poor guy.

For us, Morgan Schneiderlin, right at the beginning of Poch's tenure. Back in 2014, signing him + Jay Rodriguez would have been a massive statement of intent in terms of backing our manager right from the get go. Sadly, Levy did his usual circus act, delayed and cheaped out, and we ended up with bargain bin Stambouli and Fazio, who were unceremoniously shipped out a year later and clearly outlined that Levy's priority was to be cheap, not to back his man - a stance that has only changed now, and then only partly.

Plus, tactically, Schneiderlin + Dembele would have offered us an unbeatable DM combo - one was an elite distributor of the ball, with long passes from deep, and the other an elite carrier of the ball. Together, they could have allowed us to unlock defenses at will, while being a solid shield at the back. Instead, we went with Mason + Bentaleb, and then Dier + Dembele, and Wanyama + Dembele. We've always missed having a distributor from deep in midfield, which formed a key component of Poch's quick transitions at Southampton.

You think schneiderlain is a great passer from deep?
The guy struggles to keep up with a poor Everton side
He is for me a big fish little pond player

I was wondering how long it would take you to post in this thread with your Levy bashing.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You think schneiderlain is a great passer from deep?
The guy struggles to keep up with a poor Everton side
He is for me a big fish little pond player

He isn't now. He was back then. Under Poch, he was the best deep distributor in the league, bar none.

Once Poch left, his fitness deteriorated, and under Koeman and Mou, two reactive managers, he couldn't cover the field as he once did.

I think he's the biggest missed opportunity on there. The rest, we have reasonably good equivalents for.

Mane, Martial, Sancho, Balde, Sane - Son.
Wijnaldum - Sissoko.
De Jong - Ndombele.
Fernandes - Lo Celso.

Only Schneiderlin has no direct equivalent, because we never had the strategic opening or opportunity to get a Poch-trained deep midfield distributor ever again.

He isn't now. He was back then. Under Poch, he was the best deep distributor in the league, bar none.

Once Poch left, his fitness deteriorated, and under Koeman and Mou, two reactive managers, he couldn't cover the field as he once did.

I think he's the biggest missed opportunity on there. The rest, we have reasonably good equivalents for.

Mane, Martial, Sancho, Balde, Sane - Son.
Wijnaldum - Sissoko.
De Jong - Ndombele.
Fernandes - Lo Celso.

Only Schneiderlin has no direct equivalent, because we never had the strategic opening or opportunity to get a Poch-trained deep midfield distributor ever again.
He really wasn’t.
He was solid at best and not IMo know for this passing you describe

Back