• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Which of the strikers we've been linked with recently would you like us to sign this window?

Which of the following striker we've been commonly linked with would you like us to sign this window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if I'm adoesn't sing centre half, and I see Kane's number coming up, the last guy on that list I want to see coming on is Shane Long

you don't sign a player to score goals, you sign a player to make your system as effective as possible

If Kane goes off and the guy coming on is not a goal threat then we are in a bit of trouble because its not like we have any other prolific goalscorers

if I'm an opposing centre half, and I see Kane's number coming up, the last guy on that list I want to see coming on is Shane Long

you don't sign a player to score goals, you sign a player to make your system as effective as possible

You don't sign a forward/striker to score goals?? So do we not sign a defender to actually defend then? Perhaps we shouldn't have a coach/manager who coaches - bring back Redknapp??

I wouldn't say I want him. Just out of all the choices he's the only one guaranteed to score goals in the PL the rest are unproven and I wouldn't take the chance.

Shane Long
2015/16: PL Game started: 29, PL Games came on as sub: 5, PL Goals: 10
2014/15: PL Game started: 16, 16 PL Games came on as sub: , PL Goals: 5
2013/14 (Hull and West Brom combined): PL Game started: 26, PL Games came on as sub: 4, PL Goals: 7
2012/13: PL Game started: 25, PL Games came on as sub: 9, PL Goals: 8

Saido Berahino
2015/16: PL Game started: 17, PL Games came on as sub: 14, PL Goals: 4
2014/15: PL Game started: 32, PL Games came on as sub: 6, PL Goals: 14
2013/14: PL Game started: 11, PL Games came on as sub: 21, PL Goals: 5

You want a 29 yo,who has a recent history of hardly ever getting 10 goals a season?o_O
Berahino alone has outscored him in the last 3 seasons combined - and that includes last season when he started half the games he did compared to the previous season. Also, in one season (2014/15) Berahino scored almost as much as Long ever did in two and half years at the same club....Long is the only one guaranteed to score goals in the PL from the list? Pull the other one!

If Kane goes off and the guy coming on is not a goal threat then we are in a bit of trouble because its not like we have any other prolific goalscorers

You don't sign a forward/striker to score goals?? So do we not sign a defender to actually defend then? Perhaps we shouldn't have a coach/manager who coaches - bring back Redknapp??

goals are a byproduct of an effective unit, the system has to work first and foremost

we've seen what happens if you just add a "prolific goal scorer" without thought to the system many times, the goals dry up

goals are a byproduct of an effective unit, the system has to work first and foremost

we've seen what happens if you just add a "prolific goal scorer" without thought to the system many times, the goals dry up

To a point - the systems also rely on great goalscorers and the best teams have both.

If Messi got injured for the season, they'd still have Suarez and Neymar. If Ronaldo got injured for the season, they'd still have Benzema and Bale.

If Kane got injured for any length of time, I'd have very little confidence in Shane Long being able to fill the gap. Coming off the bench as a nuisance, yes, he'd have value.

I think we need a player who can make a difference off the bench, start games in the absence of Kane and also, play in the same team as Kane. IMO, Long is only good enough for the first of those three things.

To a point - the systems also rely on great goalscorers and the best teams have both.

If Messi got injured for the season, they'd still have Suarez and Neymar. If Ronaldo got injured for the season, they'd still have Benzema and Bale.

If Kane got injured for any length of time, I'd have very little confidence in Shane Long being able to fill the gap. Coming off the bench as a nuisance, yes, he'd have value.

I think we need a player who can make a difference off the bench, start games in the absence of Kane and also, play in the same team as Kane. IMO, Long is only good enough for the first of those three things.

look at the two sides who finished above us, they don't have a decent forward, let alone a prolific striker between them, they got by perfectly ok with "bang average"

goals are overrated

look at the two sides who finished above us, they don't have a decent forward, let alone a prolific striker between them, they got by perfectly ok with "bang average"

goals are overrated

System is key no doubt, but if goals and the ability to actually score with some form on consistency is irrelevant then we can just cash in on Harry Kane now and buy cheaper strikers who fit the system but score half his goals. Put that money towards the stadium eh.

Goals are overrated after all..

goals are overrated

Haha as glorygloryeze says let's just sell Harry now then. :)

Kane does far more than score goals, he's the perfect forward for the way we play, and he'd still be the perfect forward if he only scored single digits each season.

If Harry scored let's say 9 goals last season where do you think we would have finished?

I think the key for us is to increase our chance creation numbers but also to increase the end product meaning more goals scored.

goals are overrated

I'd say Vardy was prolific last season, I don't think you could have swapped him for Shane Long and seen the same goal output, nor Leicester in 1st place. Giroud scored 16 league goals for Arsenal, not great. Swap him for Henry (in his prime) and they'd have won the league playing the same football. Maybe they figure they can do this with Vardy (but I just think Vardy had a once in a lifetime season myself).

Long has only got into double figures in the Premier League once, last season with 10 goals. He's played 204 games in the Premier League and scored just 43 league goals. I don't think we'd be potent enough in attack if Harry was injured and Long led the line in his place.

If Harry scored let's say 9 goals last season where do you think we would have finished?

I think the key for us is to increase our chance creation numbers but also to increase the end product meaning more goals scored.

depends on which 9 you mean

scoring more goals would be great, and would most likely lead to more points, conceding less would bet better, and would definitely lead to more points

I'd say Vardy was prolific last season, I don't think you could have swapped him for Shane Long and seen the same goal output, nor Leicester in 1st place. Giroud scored 16 league goals for Arsenal, not great. Swap him for Henry (in his prime) and they'd have won the league playing the same football. Maybe they figure they can do this with Vardy (but I just think Vardy had a once in a lifetime season myself).

Long has only got into double figures in the Premier League once, last season with 10 goals. He's played 204 games in the Premier League and scored just 43 league goals. I don't think we'd be potent enough in attack if Harry was injured and Long led the line in his place.

I think Long is a better player than Vardy so my opinion is they probably would have scored more

arsenal with Henry would play a very different system to arsenal with Giroud surely, its a bit apples and oranges, neither would make a great swap in for the other

Long hasn't had a chance in a decent offense, I think he'd step up

Shane Long
2015/16: PL Game started: 29, PL Games came on as sub: 5, PL Goals: 10
2014/15: PL Game started: 16, 16 PL Games came on as sub: , PL Goals: 5
2013/14 (Hull and West Brom combined): PL Game started: 26, PL Games came on as sub: 4, PL Goals: 7
2012/13: PL Game started: 25, PL Games came on as sub: 9, PL Goals: 8

Saido Berahino
2015/16: PL Game started: 17, PL Games came on as sub: 14, PL Goals: 4
2014/15: PL Game started: 32, PL Games came on as sub: 6, PL Goals: 14
2013/14: PL Game started: 11, PL Games came on as sub: 21, PL Goals: 5

You want a 29 yo,who has a recent history of hardly ever getting 10 goals a season?o_O
Berahino alone has outscored him in the last 3 seasons combined - and that includes last season when he started half the games he did compared to the previous season. Also, in one season (2014/15) Berahino scored almost as much as Long ever did in two and half years at the same club....Long is the only one guaranteed to score goals in the PL from the list? Pull the other one!

You can want whoever you want and I'll decide who I want that's fine.

Well....Embolo, Batshuayi, Dembele MK2 down....Janssen looking difficult and ripe for an oil-rigged club to swoop and pounce...so Shane Long anyone?

:eek:

Well....Embolo, Batshuayi, Dembele MK2 down....Janssen looking difficult and ripe for an oil-rigged club to swoop and pounce...so Shane Long anyone?

:eek:

Can i vote for Berahino just to annoy GB, no other reason, perhaps with Mason going the other way? Send him off the scale.

Back