• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

One thing I don't get is how a fascist can gain traction in a predominantly non-white country (with universal suffrage, as opposed to 1970/80s South Africa). South America has obviously had a lot of US-backed right-wing authoritarians, but this seems a bit different

There is always an 'other' that can be blamed I suppose, when a lot of people are poor and desperate. A left-wing authoritarian would blame a corrupt rich elite and use that to take down their political enemies. A right-wing authoritarian will blame a corrupt liberal elite (and tie in homophobic stuff with that no doubt), and blame immigrants (if there are any) to take down their political enemies. The flavour of the month across the world at the moment seems to be fascism (or in some cases, a march towards fascism) and we are in a pretty dangerous time for a number of reasons: strongmen leaders, on the verge of a new cold war and climate change.

Well on a positive note my new house is closer to the beach.

Good point.

At 50m, the Southgate peninsular looks well set for trading with Harlow and Chingford across the Thames Sea. It would be the new entrepot of a North Thames trading culture, relatively safe from attack by pirates from the barbarous isles of Shooters Hill and Sydenham.

It's an ill wind.

Merkel wont seek re-election as Chancellor in 2021

I don't think she'll last that long. Not only are you dead man/woman walking as soon as you announce your end (Alex Ferguson syndrome), but the CDU and SPD are being wiped out by the Greens and AFD, so I doubt the coalition will endure 3 more years

Its odd that the MSM have today also decided to demoted her from the usual Dr Merkel down to Mrs Merkel

I have never heard her be called Dr Merkel and always Mrs Merkel - I listen to a fair bit of news and read my fair share of Political commentary.

95% of the time it's just Angela, but I just noticed on BBC and a few other places they've gone formal, but then got it wrong.

There were stories that Gordon Brown insisted his proper title wasn't used while he was in politics, because he didn't want to be called Doc Brown

95% of the time it's just Angela, but I just noticed on BBC and a few other places they've gone formal, but then got it wrong.

There were stories that Gordon Brown insisted his proper title wasn't used while he was in politics, because he didn't want to be called Doc Brown
And Boris & Osborn obviously.

Its odd that the MSM have today also decided to demoted her from the usual Dr Merkel down to Mrs Merkel

You say "proper title", and "demoted". It's a pretty sound rule of professional life that only knobs retain the title of Dr outside of an academic or medical context.

Things may be different in Germany. They often are.

You say "proper title", and "demoted". It's a pretty sound rule of professional life that only knobs retain the title of Dr outside of an academic or medical context.

Things may be different in Germany. They often are.
Everyone I've worked with in Germany has always concatenated all their titles.

They were all dingdongs though, so it doesn't disprove the rule.

Back