• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Putting aside the economic question for now, the social issues that go with higher population, probably going to be large groups of unemployed / underemployed young men. They probably will have different values to us and be largely uneducated. That will effect you.

Putting aside the economic question for now, the social issues that go with higher population, probably going to be large groups of unemployed / underemployed young men. They probably will have different values to us and be largely uneducated. That will effect you.
Labour will be cheap - I'll just hire some armed guards.

People's free time should be recorded as a way to measure the UK's "well-being", the Green Party says.

The party will call for a "Free Time Index" and say that time spent outside work and commuting is a better measure of the UK's well-being than GDP.

Co-leaders Sian Berry and Jonathan Bartley will argue that the figures should be published each year as part of the Autumn Budget.

It is part of a drive by the Greens to prioritise a better work-life balance.

The Green Party failed to make its hoped-for breakthrough in the 2017 general election, as its vote was squeezed by Labour. But it made headway in May's council elections, adding eight seats.

Last year the party announced a four-day working week policy, amounting to a maximum of 35 hours, and there have been reports suggesting Labour is considering a similar policy, as a way of sharing technological advances with staff.

In Friday's speech to the Green Party autumn conference in Bristol, Ms Berry and Mr Bartley will call for a new economic indicator which measures how much time people have outside the working day.

According to pre-released excerpts from her speech, Ms Berry, who was elected co-leader last month, will say: "It's time to shift away from the culture which sees us work harder and harder for longer and longer, often without reward or satisfaction."

She will add: "True freedom will only be found when people have more control of their time and how it is spent."

Mr Bartley will tell party members that a Free Time Index would measure the time available "to have a family life, relax and pursue the things they care about".

"It should be the aim of the government to see a yearly increase in this Free Time Index, so that the quality of time which is truly our own become the real measure of well-being."

The party pointed out that the Office for National Statistics had carried out a survey of leisure time in the UK in 2015, which suggested that UK men spent an average of six hours nine minutes a day on leisure activities - while women spent five hours 29 minutes. Most of that time was spent watching TV, listening to music or reading.

There has been some research which suggests that using money to free-up time is linked to increased happiness.

And the Greens' message is similar to one the then Conservative leader, David Cameron, espoused in 2005, when he said gauging people's well-being was one of the "central political issues of our time".

"It's time we admitted that there's more to life than money, and it's time we focused not just on GDP but on GWB - general well-being," he said.

The coalition government then attempted to measure the happiness of UK citizens and the first national well-being survey, was published in 2012.

The ONS recently published its latest "personal well-being" statistics, which suggested that, compared with both the UK and the other countries, people in Northern Ireland had "better average ratings across all personal well-being measures".

4 days should be capped at 28 hours, not 35. But otherwise all good stuff. The vast majority of people are time poor not cash poor.

I knew you would jump on that one!

The Greens are funny for me, broadly I like their intentions but their actual ideas usually amount to Unicorns bricking Rainbows.

Their last manifesto was hilarious and they were clearly all off their tits when they wrote it.

For me they are not really intellectual enough. They talk about buses rather than seriously engaging about post-capitalism. Some of their long term goals (the right hand menu here: https://policy.greenparty.org.uk/philosophical-basis.html) are ok, but they don't translate these into coherent policies.

For me there's a massive opportunity in this country for left libertarianism to fill the political void - offer a third way between corporatism and statism. It should be the Greens, but I'm not sure they currently have the calibre of intellects in the party.

You want to know about the green party look at Brighton and the soon to be bankrupt i360 which everyone knew was going to fail.

Left the city was a massive financial black hole.

I don't know the background to that, but purposeless phallic vanity projects are so contrary to basic green principles

True but like them or not they came in when the country was in the brink. Labour even left a note saying no money left. They took us and rescued the economy.

They remind me of Harry Redknapp good for a certain time, but to go the next step you need something more.

The Tories love brick like this, as they can hand out largesse to their spiv mates in the construction....all at the taxpayer's expense.

I tend to agree. Is interesting a few of the good Tories were saying the money for high speed 2 could be better spent on north east to north west rail lines. Wonder who stands to gain most from high speed rail.

I do fully back crosstalk 2. But it won't happen because they will have to spend money on the north first.

I tend to agree. Is interesting a few of the good Tories were saying the money for high speed 2 could be better spent on north east to north west rail lines. Wonder who stands to gain most from high speed rail.

I do fully back crosstalk 2. But it won't happen because they will have to spend money on the north first.

The HS2 technology is already obsolete. It needs to be maglev or hyperloop.

And yes - highspeed links between the Manchester-Sheffield-Leeds triangle need to be the priority first. It currently takes more than an hour to make any of those 30 mile journeys.

Labour even left a note saying no money left..

The note, which continued a long tradition of chief secretaries to the Treasury leaving humorous private missives to their successors, said "I'm afraid there is no money".

Danny Alexander (whom Liam Byrne hadn't expected to get the job, of course, it had been earmarked for a Tory whom Byrne knew and trusted) went rogue and shared the note. George Osborne was the one who then quoted it as the rather more inflammatory "there is no money left".

It was all quite unfortunate. Especially given that Brown really was an impeccable chancellor, and did a brilliant job in saving the economy from a global financial crisis.

The note, which continued a long tradition of chief secretaries to the Treasury leaving humorous private missives to their successors, said "I'm afraid there is no money".

Danny Alexander (whom Liam Byrne hadn't expected to get the job, of course, it had been earmarked for a Tory whom Byrne knew and trusted) went rogue and shared the note. George Osborne was the one who then quoted it as the rather more inflammatory "there is no money left".

It was all quite unfortunate. Especially given that Brown really was an impeccable chancellor, and did a brilliant job in saving the economy from a global financial crisis.
An impeccable chancellor..... if you like people spending your money on things you neither want, need nor can afford.

Back