• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Just spent 5 minutes trying to watch Preston on itv. Forget your personal politics this guy is a cnut. Invite your guests on let them answer you when you ask them a question before asking the next one.

Off to watch match of the day now, what a cnut.

So Brexit phase 2 now done

Looks like we've been screwed over on fishing rights and social dumping, but at least the real Brexit date is 3 months earlier than it could have been (only 2 ¾ years to go!).

It seems that -- so far in Brexit negotiations -- The EU keep calling our government's bluff, and our government just says "ok, we'll do what you say then." They could have reached that position a lot sooner to be honest. All they have done is show the EU that they will not walk away from the table with "no deal" and they will fold. Tough talk followed by capitulation just makes them appear weaker than if they would have swallowed things in the beginning, in the name of building good will for further down the line in the trade negotiations.

I am not sure the recent Russian behavior would have been so blatant without BREXIT - not saying they would not do it but would certainly have been less brazen while doing it.

Reactions: DTA
I am not sure the recent Russian behavior would have been so blatant without BREXIT - not saying they would not do it but would certainly have been less brazen while doing it.

Not really - NATO rallied round pretty quickly, and that is the alliance that covers defence matter

The thing the Russia relations flags up with Brexit is that we will soon have a new opportunity to pursue fuel self-sufficiency, as we will hopefully be free from EU state aid and competition laws, which currently prevent us nationalising energy and subsidising green infrastructure. The only real stick Russia has to poke at us is the threat of cutting off our gas.

Not really - NATO rallied round pretty quickly, and that is the alliance that covers defence matter

The thing the Russia relations flags up with Brexit is that we will soon have a new opportunity to pursue fuel self-sufficiency, as we will hopefully be free from EU state aid and competition laws, which currently prevent us nationalising energy and subsidising green infrastructure. The only real stick Russia has to poke at us is the threat of cutting off our gas.

spoiler: thats not why these things are not happening

Russia would be more concerned about EU sanctions than UK sanctions as we make up a small amount of their exports where the EU is their main exporter.

The second part is not reliant upon Brexit we have always had this opportunity to be fuel self-sufficient - it does not prevent us nationalizing energy and subsidizing green infrastructure i.e. https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2017/germany/green-light-for-green-cars-infrastructure

Russia would be more concerned about EU sanctions than UK sanctions as we make up a small amount of their exports where the EU is their main exporter.

The second part is not reliant upon Brexit we have always had this opportunity to be fuel self-sufficient - it does not prevent us nationalizing energy and subsidizing green infrastructure i.e. https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2017/germany/green-light-for-green-cars-infrastructure

It's a good article, but it still shows the tension - that the EU promotes big business against the interests of society. This was a part push back, but the infrastructure still fundamentally protects neo-liberalism.

It's a good article, but it still shows the tension - that the EU promotes big business against the interests of society. This was a part push back, but the infrastructure still fundamentally protects neo-liberalism.
They do in some cases, in others they do not i.e. enforceable pollution targets, but we were talking about the effect of BREXIT on Russians actions so gone on a bit of a tangent.

They do in some cases, in others they do not i.e. enforceable pollution targets, but we were talking about the effect of BREXIT on Russians actions so gone on a bit of a tangent.

But Russia isn't going to invade or nuke us, so the only real issue is our reliance on their gas supplies, and how we've been forced into that situation over the past 40 years.

But Russia isn't going to invade or nuke us, so the only real issue is our reliance on their gas supplies, and how we've been forced into that situation over the past 40 years.
They may overtly commit murders on our soil as they are not bothered by the repercussions by UK, I think they would be more concerned if we were still an integral part of the EU and the impact of economic sanctions the bloc could make.

They may overtly commit murders on our soil as they are not bothered by the repercussions by UK, I think they would be more concerned if we were still an integral part of the EU and the impact of economic sanctions the bloc could make.

Not really - the EU has a huge trade imbalance with Russia, so they would be destroyed in any trade war. The EU imports £130b of oil and gas from Russia, while only exporting £80b of cars and landfill tat to it.

I think your point is technically correct, that they are more bothered by EU sanctions than UK only sanctions -- but they might not be overly concerned with potential sanctions by either, as they killed the bloke in 2006 in a very blatant way, when we were in the EU with a very pro-EU government.

Back