• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

So, as yet, nothing is binding.

Reading through this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-42333875 It is clear they want to have that tied up soon as well.

And, honestly, I think thats how we have to go. How ridiculous would it be to sign off these payments without even knowing the full extent of the deal?

Oh no! The EU dont like that! Well, of course they dont. They have had us over a barrel so far, and got to a point where we will give them a hell of a lot of money - they want it. We want whats best for us, and holding that back until all is agreed is the only real ace in our hand.

Making it intended, rather than committed, is the best possible thing we can do to look after ourselves in these negotiations.

It also keeps the very real possibility of the deal collapsing and them not getting their billions, which again plays to our favour.

Ok I agree with what you are saying but I don't think its the way it will go, up until now the EU have said no commitment no Trade negotiations. I just don't think they will let it get to the stage where its all or nothing, they believe in the concept of the EU and actually believe we owe the money. If we don't believe we owe it we should probably argue on that basis rather than use it a leverage which we appear to be poor at.

I don't see this as a one way street BTW, Britain is estimated to have around €150 billion in assets that it purchased during its EU membership so that will soften the blow
I thought the agreed "price" was net rather than gross, it takes in account the assets?

It a bit of a chicken and egg position - those countries have to adopt the Euro when their economy becomes strong enough (I know, the irony!). But after Greece and the Euro concerns Govt have been resisting it. The EU have said they still have to, but at the same they are not going to force it and risk a) political unrest leading to another Brexit and b) risk adversely affecting that economy, thus screwing the Euro again.

However, if they were able to enforce the Euro on the UK, they could set precident at the very top end and force through a mass transition.

If I recall, Sweden has a special status. Can't remember exactly what it is though.
Edit - Sweden decided joining ERM-II is voluntary and had a referendum to vote (the right way ) on adopting the Euro/not.
Sorry I Know Sweden had the special status same as us, I meant I am surprised there has not been more attempts for them to get rid of Krona.

Does not vindicate him though, in an individual case Juncker is a clam, he is no less a clam because of Boris
I was responding to "Farrage is a clam though and is not representative of the UK in the same way Juncker is for the EU."

As Secretary of state he does represent the UK to other countries.

I was responding to "Farrage is a clam though and is not representative of the UK in the same way Juncker is for the EU."

As Secretary of state he does represent the UK to other countries.

of course he does but like I said Juncker is no less of a clam just because Bojo is a huge one

The EU is dodgy as hell.
But it's by no way exclusive.
The difference is it's more accountable to its membership.
The Tory's can (and are) basically do whatever they like to the UK (even with a weak Govt) and we can do nothing except bleat and moan.
The EU will get kick back from its members if it tries to overstep the line too much too often.
Western politics is beyond corrupt.

Except vote somebody else in at the next election, which is never that far off. A very direct and decisive action the public can take.

Which should really do much to keep the incumbent government on their toes.

I think its fair to say that they have hidden behind the EU for a long time, become complacent. That will change.

People have appetite to have their say. There are more opposing views between parties, different "solutions" to vote for. Its an interesting time in poiltics, I think. And, I think, its fair to say UK politics will change from now on.

Ok I agree with what you are saying but I don't think its the way it will go, up until now the EU have said no commitment no Trade negotiations. I just don't think they will let it get to the stage where its all or nothing, they believe in the concept of the EU and actually believe we owe the money. If we don't believe we owe it we should probably argue on that basis rather than use it a leverage which we appear to be poor at.

You may well be right, we will get more of an idea when talks resume.

I dont think there is any doubt we owe them money, the talk was always how much. And it seems we made major concessions in this area to try and advance the talks - agreeing to a much larger sum than intended.

I can well see us revisiting that "good will" if the EU doesnt show us some in turn. Though really we are just talking about negotiating mechanisms, which will of course be revealed in time.

of course he does but like I said Juncker is no less of a clam just because Bojo is a huge one
Of course not, I do think he is a clam - I personally don't see it as aggressive but he has to be blunt as our negotiation style does not match theirs. They came to the table with a list of red lines and what can be offered and not, were transparent and open about it. Our style was that everything is negotiable and has a price and we wish to hold our cards to our chest as we do not want to strengthen the others hand.

Its a clash, I assume on cultures, with each sides method annoying the other.

I don't think the cost of larger Ministries and government would cost 8.6b per year, it would probably cost 1 or 2, with significant setup costs and inefficiency as they get up to speed. But factor in paying for access to the single market and or customs union and there will be little left over imo. Might even be a net loss. If one takes the projected losses to economy of say 5% from lost trade, then clearly the UK would have a big net loss and be significantly poorer than we were. Less money for schools etc.
Total goods and services exports to the EU are 14% of the UK's overall economy. So you're predicting a 45% reduction in trade with the EU over what, in most cases, is a 1-2% tariff cost. That's a massive, massive drop and doesn't seem to be grounded in any realistic assumptions.

Even the paper @milo linked uses the assumption that our standard for goods and services we sell to the EU would diverge (for no apparent reason) and the somewhat bullish assumption of EU growth for 12 years, which seems unlikely unless they can get to grips with the Greece/Spain/Italy/France problems. That also assumes our industries can't negate the tariff costs with cheaper and/or better imports - for my business, the savings would be >100% of any tariff costs on export. For some it might be less, but it will be significant.

What Leave supporters seem unable to pinpoint is what exactly we'll get back in return. Money is not everything, so what are we looking for that is positive from Brexit? Less migrants and no European court? I think the ECJ has been a massive red herring. The ECJ rules on Union laws, not national laws. We still have national laws, and make our own national laws. They have to be in sync with the ECJ union laws and the ECJ is the highest test court for any rulings, but I don't think it impacts people. Can anyone here point to how its negatively impacted their lives?
I'll turn that question around - why do we need the EU? We have a system of law that works perfectly well - so well that much of the Western world adopted it. What is the point of an institution that is at arm's length from our county making those decisions?

So what do we want from Brexit? As above, I want imports that aren't barred by a protectionist state that refuses to allow outdated industry to fail. I want to be able to buy what I want from wherever I want without the EU taking their bite. I want to be relieved of EU bureaucracy and legislation for products I sell in the UK and around the world that have nothing to do with the EU. I want us to be able to refuse in and out of work benefits to any and all immigrants at any time for reasons of our choosing. I want our financial systems extricated from the ticking time bomb that is a single currency containing countries like Greece. I want our government to be free to compete with EU nations for business through lower tax and regulations. I want us to be able to set immigration targets based on the skills and abilities required at that time in our society, not based on the nationality of that person. I want to have the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing we're not part of an institution that condemns thousands of African farmers to a lifetime of poverty because we don't want them undercutting our prices. I'm sure that if I thought about it there would be more too.

So we're left with migration and free movement, imo, the crucial variable, and one that living in central London, doesn't impact me so much. I think we need a more honest and open debate about this thorny subject. We need to openly look at non-EU migration as well and why we don't control it more. We need to look at who can do the more menial jobs, and at skills training for Brits. Then at whether the existing EU controls of registering EU migrants and sending them home if they don't have work are viable and if they could help matters.

It would be a shame to damage our economy by leaving the EU, only to then bring in immigrants to work anyway and not address things like skills training for our own. As a society we need to look at these issues with some care, and try and understand different British peoples perspectives. Where I live I don't see the negatives of EU immigration. Maybe in more rural areas or where there is less work, there is much more of an issue?
Partly dealt with above. I think it's important that we have a decent level of immigration in this country and I don't think that number should be drastically smaller than it currently is.

What is of utmost importance though, is that we are free to adjust the level and the nature (skills) of that immigration whenever suits us. If we were to leave the EU tomorrow, I'd expect immigration to stay fairly flat as unemployment is fairly low right now. But if in 3 month's time we need immigration to double or to halve, we should be able to do that in a flash, without having to resort to requiring our entire population to carry ID cards.

I can well see us revisiting that "good will" if the EU doesnt show us some in turn. Though really we are just talking about negotiating mechanisms, which will of course be revealed in time.

Cool - wait and see as it will come out in the wash, I am making the prediction that we are on the hook regardless of talks.

Reactions: DTA
Cool - wait and see as it will come out in the wash, I am making the prediction that we are on the hook regardless of talks.

Right now, technically, we arent (it seems). Of course, I fully expect it to be the next stumbling block. I think you are right, the EU will try to cement that payment before moving on, we will of course try not to. Given how things have gone so far I expect your prediction will come true!

Total goods and services exports to the EU are 14% of the UK's overall economy. So you're predicting a 45% reduction in trade with the EU over what, in most cases, is a 1-2% tariff cost. That's a massive, massive drop and doesn't seem to be grounded in any realistic assumptions.

Even the paper @milo linked uses the assumption that our standard for goods and services we sell to the EU would diverge (for no apparent reason) and the somewhat bullish assumption of EU growth for 12 years, which seems unlikely unless they can get to grips with the Greece/Spain/Italy/France problems. That also assumes our industries can't negate the tariff costs with cheaper and/or better imports - for my business, the savings would be >400% of any tariff costs on export. For some it might be less, but it will be significant.

Its not my assumption or a back of a fag pack calculation, it's the projections of a respected US economics think tank Rand Corporation. 4.7% out of the UK economy or appx £100bn per year. What is it you know that they don't? Are we to believe your calculations or theirs?

I'll turn that question around - why do we need the EU? We have a system of law that works perfectly well - so well that much of the Western world adopted it. What is the point of an institution that is at arm's length from our county making those decisions?

Sure. Is it a good thing that if your EU flight is delayed, you have statutory rights to real compensation? Or that roaming phone charges in the EU can't be excessive as they used to be? Or that air pollution from factories can't be above certain limits? Or that laws allow the continent to trade with each other on fair and equal terms, which facilitates free trade? None of these things can be delivered by UK law in isolation.

UK input has been fundamental to EU laws. We have helped shaped them. In the future, we'll probably have to observe at least some of these laws without any input.

So what do we want from Brexit? As above, I want imports that aren't barred by a protectionist state that refuses to allow outdated industry to fail. I want to be able to buy what I want from wherever I want without the EU taking their bite. I want to be relieved of EU bureaucracy and legislation for products I sell in the UK and around the world that have nothing to do with the EU. I want us to be able to refuse in and out of work benefits to any and all immigrants at any time for reasons of our choosing. I want our financial systems extricated from the ticking time bomb that is a single currency containing countries like Greece. I want our government to be free to compete with EU nations for business through lower tax and regulations. I want us to be able to set immigration targets based on the skills and abilities required at that time in our society, not based on the nationality of that person. I want to have the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing we're not part of an institution that condemns thousands of African farmers to a lifetime of poverty because we don't want them undercutting our prices. I'm sure that if I thought about it there would be more too.

Do you think you will realise all of things post Brexit? Its a 'cake an eat it' approach that is blinkered and fails to recognise the complex reality. For example, the EU will not let us undercut them with lower standards of regulation say on workers pay rights/costs, or taxation, and then hand us a free trade agreement. Why would they? Its a bonkers suggestion! And most of our exports are to the EU. All over the world, countries trade most with their neighbouring countries. A simple fact that seems to be ignored.

Would it make you feel warm and fuzzy to have no UK based farmers? Because if it wasn't for the CAP or a similar system countries would not have an indigenous agriculture industry. After WWII and the pain of rationing for decades, countries realised that a free market for all food was dangerous and left them vulnerable. We need to keep some, if not all, of our farmers. Or are you suggesting we put them out of business? All very well listing a Christmas list of things you want (which is still more than anyone else has and interesting) but you have to see these wishes in the context of global trade. The UK can work in isolation but w'll be significantly poorer for it. Everything we know about trade tell us that free trade especially with out neighbours leads to prosperity. The UKs economy from the 70s to now - in short whilst in the EU - has grown massively.

Partly dealt with above. I think it's important that we have a decent level of immigration in this country and I don't think that number should be drastically smaller than it currently is.

What is of utmost importance though, is that we are free to adjust the level and the nature (skills) of that immigration whenever suits us. If we were to leave the EU tomorrow, I'd expect immigration to stay fairly flat as unemployment is fairly low right now. But if in 3 month's time we need immigration to double or to halve, we should be able to do that in a flash, without having to resort to requiring our entire population to carry ID cards.

Okay so the big one immigration. We're to leave but keep immigration as it is for now? How would that be digested by voters do you think?

Furthermore, if we don't have EU migration, where will menial workers come from? Will they be able to work seasonally? Travel to the UK to work and then return home? How quickly can you take people on, if its going via a government ministry, applications etc? Quick than you can now?

You think immigration post Brexit will follow a biz orientation first and foremost. But that is exactly what we have had for the past decades, and people have voted against it.

Last edited:
Its not my assumption or a back of an fag pack calculation, it's the projections of a highly respected US economics think tank Rand Corporation. 4.7% out of the UK economy or appx £100bn per year. What is it you know that they don't? Are we to believe your calculations or theirs?
In their own paper they state their assumptions. I have no reason to believe their assumptions are accurate and I suspect a brief skim of their paper would lead you to the same conclusion.

Think about the divergence logically. I supply services to the medical sector and the construction industry (among others). I don't apply medical standards to construction clients because it's excessively expensive to do so. That doesn't mean I can't and won't apply the same standards to the work for the medical industry. The EU is essentially forcing us to apply their standards to everything we do, regardless of destination. If it turns out to be cheaper for businesses to do everything to EU standards and sell the same product, great. If it doesn't then there are savings to be made. There is no logical reason to believe that standard divergence will result in a drop in trade - no business would voluntarily stop applying EU standards if it was more costly to do so.

The other assumption is EU growth. For every respected economist who thinks that's likely there's another who thinks its foolish. It's far from an uncommon position to believe that unless the EU kicks Greece out (and possibly Spain/Italy too), or allows countries to use their own currencies and the mechanisms that provides, that the Euro will come into some serious medium term difficulties. That's massively increased without the UK in the EU - less contribution from us, less bailout money when it's next needed, a smaller asset basis on which to borrow, lower average ratings for debt, etc. The EU is less financially stable without the UK and filling the huge hole in their spending is just one small part of that.

Sure. Is it a good thing that if your EU flight is delayed, you have statutory rights to real compensation?
Only use airlines that compensate you.

Or that roaming phone charges in the EU can't be excessive as they used to be?
Use the mobile network that charges you the least

Or that air pollution from factories can't be above certain limits?
Don't buy from polluting factories if you don't like it.

Or that laws allow the continent to trade with each other on fair and equal terms, which facilitates free trade?
I don't want equal terms, I want competition.

None of these things can be delivered by UK law in isolation.
But they can be delivered by markets.

UK input has been fundamental to EU laws. We have helped shaped them. In the future, we'll probably have to observe at least some of these laws without any input.
Only for those products and services traded with the EU. 86% of our GDP is not EU trade and should not have to conform.

Do you think you will realise all of things post Brexit? Its a 'cake an eat it' approach that is blinkered and fails to recognise the complex reality. For example, the EU will not let us undercut them with lower standards of regulation say on workers pay rights/costs, or taxation, and then hand us a free trade agreement. Why would they? Its a bonkers suggestion! And most of our exports are to the EU. All over the world, countries trade most with their neighbouring countries. A simple fact that seems to be ignored.
I don't expect them to give us anything, I expect us to compete it away from them.

Would it make you feel warm and fuzzy to have no UK based farmers? Because if it wasn't for the CAP or a similar system countries would not have an indigenous agriculture industry. After WWII and the pain of rationing for decades, countries realised that a free market for all food was dangerous and left them vulnerable. We need to keep some, if not all, of our farmers. Or are you suggesting we put them out of business? All very well listing a Christmas list of things you want (which is still more than anyone else has and interesting) but you have to see these wishes in the context of global trade. The UK can work in isolation but w'll be significantly poorer for it. Everything we know about trade tell us that free trade especially with out neighbours leads to prosperity. The UKs economy from the 70s to now - in short whilst in the EU - has grown massively.
I don't believe in propping up any industry with my taxes. If that means all farmers go out of business (it doesn't) then so be it. The same discussion was had around mining once - nobody claims we need working mines any more.

Okay so the big one immigration. We're to leave but keep immigration as it is for now? How would that be digested by voters do you think?
Don't care, the public are stupid.

Furthermore, if we don't have EU migration, where will menial workers come from? Will they be able to work seasonally? Travel to the UK to work and then return home? How quickly can you take people on, if its going via a government ministry, applications etc? Quick than you can now?
They'll come from wherever the fudge we want them to - that's the whole point! You don't think there's a whole world of people who would come and do seasonal work for £4 per hour? That's probably a fudging fortune in plenty of countries. If processing applications for temporary or unskilled work is something we do all the time then there will be a floating stock of unskilled labour moving between jobs - it's unlikely to cause that much hard work - especially not in seasonal work when the demand is known well ahead of time.

You think immigration post Brexit will follow a biz orientation first and foremost. But that is exactly what we have had for the past decades, and people have voted against it.
I don't think they have. Most polling showed that many people who were pro Brexit would vote remain if Cameron had achieved the small alterations he wanted from the EU. That being in control of immigration is more important than "getting rid of those fudging foreigners".

I worked in Dubai and lost by job due to market conditions and had to leave, infact its happened to me or a number of people in Middle East and also in Canada.

I didn't like you losing your job, but the example! Of course, we know now, that within the EU, if you don't have a job as an immigrant within 3 weeks, you could be sent home. So happens in the EU too, just the UK doesn't enforce it.

I didn't like you losing your job, but the example! Of course, we know now, that within the EU, if you don't have a job as an immigrant within 3 weeks, you could be sent home. So happens in the EU too, just the UK doesn't enforce it.
Read back a couple of pages for my discussion with @r-u-s-x01 - it's full of loopholes that are far too easy to exploit. Plus, the enforced free movement of labour means that if we were to enforce it, we'd have to have an ID card system.

Back