• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Sorry - I read it as you are left-wing because of your economic position, not that you are left-wing on economics

Ok, fair enough. My reply was a bit blunt, apologies.

now-kith.jpg

The choice of Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe as a World Health Organization (WHO) goodwill ambassador has been criticised by several organisations including the British government.

It described his selection as "surprising and disappointing" given his country's rights record, and warned it could overshadow the WHO's work.

The opposition in Zimbabwe and campaign groups also criticised the move.

But the WHO head praised Zimbabwe for its commitment to public health.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was a country that "places universal health coverage and health promotion at the centre of its policies to provide health care to all".

Mr Mugabe's appointment as a "goodwill ambassador" to help tackle non-communicable diseases has attracted a chorus of criticism

As i have said before ,and some others on here have, I don't understand why the negotiations are led by a single party (ie the one in power).

The decision for brexit was one taken by the public, during that process there was no party bias. Men and women from all parties fell on both sides of the argument.

It was not a political decision (geopolitical maybe)...it was the will of the British people.

The politicians are obliged to carry out, what is a life changing decision, by order of the people. It is a big job, that require our best people. It's a godsend (you would think?) that party allegiance was switched off for this event. It opens the door for free reign to compile your A-team from the best men and woman from all parties to represent you in the toughest negotiation in a generation. (And heck even some great minds from outside politics, even just to advise (hello Levy :))

What is even more evident now, is it would also eliminate the post vote, party bickering, sniping, point scoring gonad*s that goes on everyday. That only goes to weaken (and embarrass) our position especially when one party might have to say something in response to another party when all the time Europe are listening.

We could have had togetherness on this. Hunkered down in a Churchill bunker somewhere, grinding out our strategy and appearing as and when WE wanted. Displaying a united front. No distractions.

They've almost looked not fit for purpose during the process so far. (My gut said this, I should have listened). It's turned into a political football. Anyone could start saying ' I would give you a second referendum' and they would surge in the polls, that's not what we want, saying things just to become popular, stir brick up. We have enough of this.

There was a chance here for everyone to take of there coloured ties and just do something to the best of their ability, for us.

That's just how our system works. The same as the Tories alone presided over our winding down of the Commonwealth and entry into Europe in the 70s

Although negotiations are being done by one party, parliament is in a strange position because Brexit is supported by a minority of the Tory party (Johnson, Davis, Fox) and a minority of the Labour party (Corbyn, McDonnell). So the big battle is actually those two groups managing their own Osbornite and Blairite majorities.

Remember the referendum pledge damaged the Lib Dems, SNP and Green votes in the GE, while 85% voted for the pro-Brexit Tory and Labour manifestos.

That's just how our system works. The same as the Tories alone presided over our winding down of the Commonwealth and entry into Europe in the 70s

Although negotiations are being done by one party, parliament is in a strange position because Brexit is supported by a minority of the Tory party (Johnson, Davis, Fox) and a minority of the Labour party (Corbyn, McDonnell). So the big battle is actually those two groups managing their own Osbornite and Blairite majorities.

Remember the referendum pledge damaged the Lib Dems, SNP and Green votes in the GE, while 85% voted for the pro-Brexit Tory and Labour manifestos.

Did the people vote for these under a referendum?

85% may have voted for Tory and Labour but it was more because we were gonna be given a choice (not because they were pro-brexit, otherwise the vote wouldn't have ended up 50/50ish when we did get to vote)?

Edit: So my points don't stand because our system 'don't work like that'? Great.

Last edited:
Did the people vote for these under a referendum?

85% may have voted for Tory and Labour but it was more because we were gonna be given a choice (not because they were pro-brexit, otherwise the vote wouldn't have ended up 50/50ish when we did get to vote)?

Edit: So my points don't stand because our system don't work like that? Great.

Our system is sometimes known as elected dictatorships. We vote once every five years and let the government get on with it in between, bound to some extent by their manifesto.

And yes there was a referendum in 1975 confirming that we'd end our economic ties with the Commonwealth and join the EEC. But the yes campaign was based on lies (purely an economic partnership with no political integration) and scaremongering (Britain would go bankrupt without it), which many baby boomers still resent and hence used the 2016 rerun to right that wrong.

Last edited:
My new MP is a complete dingdong too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-41724540
https://order-order.com/people/jared-omara/
https://theharlequinpub.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/an-open-letter-to-jared-omara/

I know this guy personally and he's a really nasty piece of work - homophobic, misogynist and violent tendencies. The Labour 2017 intake (in their quest for loyalists over Blairites) has brought in some bad people that weren't properly vetted
I agree with him on fatties. Apart from.some very rare exceptions it's their own failings that make them fat. Therefore they're open for criticism.

I agree with him on fatties. Apart from.some very rare exceptions it's their own failings that make them fat. Therefore they're open for criticism.

I have a mate who is ultra egalitarian, in all respects except one...he has a real prejudice against fatties. He refuses to hire one saying it's a sign of a lack of self discipline.

This is a bit weird:

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-of-mccarthyite-behaviour-universities-brexit

A Conservative whip accused of “McCarthyite” behaviour after writing to university vice-chancellors to demand a list of tutors lecturing on Brexit was not acting on behalf of the government, No 10 has said.

Downing Street issued a rebuke to the MP Chris Heaton-Harris on Tuesday, telling reporters he had not been acting in his capacity as a government whip when he wrote the letter to university leaders asking for details of professors lecturing on Brexit matters.

“Chris Heaton-Harris wrote to universities in his capacity as an MP, not as a representative of the government,” the prime minister’s spokesman said. “I think what the prime minister has always been very clear on is her respect for the freedom and independence of universities and the role they play in creating open and stimulating debate.”

Asked if he would take the opportunity to reassure universities, he said: “The letter was sent in a personal capacity. Free speech is one of the foundations on which our universities are built and of course it should be respected.”

The Guardian revealed Heaton-Harris, the Conservative MP for Daventry and a staunch Eurosceptic, wrote to vice-chancellors at the start of this month asking for the names of any professors involved in teaching European affairs “with particular reference to Brexit”.

The letter gave no explanation for the request, but asked for a copy of each university’s syllabus and any online lectures on Brexit.

I have a mate who is ultra egalitarian, in all respects except one...he has a real prejudice against fatties. He refuses to hire one saying it's a sign of a lack of self discipline.

I'm sort of with that. The fundamental principle is judge people on what they do and think, not what they are. I.e. things that are choices - political views, religion, haircuts etc. are fair game, whereas things that aren't - gender, race, sexuality, disability etc. are absolutely not. Weight actually more falls into the first group.

This is a bit weird:

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-of-mccarthyite-behaviour-universities-brexit

A Conservative whip accused of “McCarthyite” behaviour after writing to university vice-chancellors to demand a list of tutors lecturing on Brexit was not acting on behalf of the government, No 10 has said.

Downing Street issued a rebuke to the MP Chris Heaton-Harris on Tuesday, telling reporters he had not been acting in his capacity as a government whip when he wrote the letter to university leaders asking for details of professors lecturing on Brexit matters.

“Chris Heaton-Harris wrote to universities in his capacity as an MP, not as a representative of the government,” the prime minister’s spokesman said. “I think what the prime minister has always been very clear on is her respect for the freedom and independence of universities and the role they play in creating open and stimulating debate.”

Asked if he would take the opportunity to reassure universities, he said: “The letter was sent in a personal capacity. Free speech is one of the foundations on which our universities are built and of course it should be respected.”

The Guardian revealed Heaton-Harris, the Conservative MP for Daventry and a staunch Eurosceptic, wrote to vice-chancellors at the start of this month asking for the names of any professors involved in teaching European affairs “with particular reference to Brexit”.

The letter gave no explanation for the request, but asked for a copy of each university’s syllabus and any online lectures on Brexit.

Very weird. You can look up on a database what every academic in the country is working on anyway: http://results.ref.ac.uk/DownloadSubmissions/ByForm/REF2.

Back