• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

But initially they did not include the UK in their quarantine policy, now they are because we are not exempting the French.
I don't have a problem with visitors to France having to quarantine per se, but it should be on a firmer basis than just tit-for-tat.
Initially we didn't include them either, now we do.

It's just a huge willy waving contest between Boris and Macron IMO.

I'm not sure that's accurate - the way I understood it, our policy was initially blanket (with the exception of Ireland, and special categories). The French then threw their toys around upon hearing that, and tried to negotiate an exemption (and if there's any truth that we initially agreed, that at least makes their behaviour slightly more understandable, if still highly petulant).

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's accurate - the way I understood it, our policy was initially blanket (with the exception of Ireland, and special categories). The French then threw their toys around upon hearing that, and tried to negotiate an exemption (and if there's any truth that we initially agreed, that at least makes their behaviour slightly more understandable, if still highly petulant).

Initially, a joint statement from the British and French governments said no quarantine measures would apply.

"No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner," says the statement, which was published on the government's website on 10 May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52682411

Initially, a joint statement from the British and French governments said no quarantine measures would apply.

"No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner," says the statement, which was published on the government's website on 10 May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52682411

I don't think that contradicts what I said in any way - I think these discussions with the French came about following reports of a blanket UK policy.

I don't think that contradicts what I said in any way - I think these discussions with the French came about following reports of a blanket UK policy.
You said - our policy was initially blanket (with the exception of Ireland, and special categories) - this was clearly wrong as I have just shown you.

10th May Uk and France said no quarantines between the two countries, we changed our minds and then the French did too.

You said - our policy was initially blanket (with the exception of Ireland, and special categories) - this was clearly wrong as I have just shown you.

10th May Uk and France said no quarantines between the two countries, we changed our minds and then the French did too.

Here's a report from the day before that, stating that Ireland would be the only country exempted. Which fits exactly with what I said previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52594023

Here's a report from the day before that, stating that Ireland would be the only country exempted. Which fits exactly with what I said previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52594023
This is the UK Government website - 10th May...

The Prime Minister and President Macron spoke today.

They stressed the need for close bilateral, European and international cooperation in the fight against Covid-19.

The leaders spoke about the need to manage the risk of new transmissions arising from abroad, as the rate of coronavirus decreases domestically.

In this regard, the Prime Minister and the President agreed to work together in taking forward appropriate border measures. This cooperation is particularly necessary for the management of our common border.

No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner. A working group between the two governments will be set up to ensure this consultation throughout the coming weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/joint-statement-between-the-uk-and-france-10-may-2020

There was NO blanket approach, I can't make my initial point any clearer than I already have.

This is the UK Government website - 10th May...

The Prime Minister and President Macron spoke today.

They stressed the need for close bilateral, European and international cooperation in the fight against Covid-19.

The leaders spoke about the need to manage the risk of new transmissions arising from abroad, as the rate of coronavirus decreases domestically.

In this regard, the Prime Minister and the President agreed to work together in taking forward appropriate border measures. This cooperation is particularly necessary for the management of our common border.

No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner. A working group between the two governments will be set up to ensure this consultation throughout the coming weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/joint-statement-between-the-uk-and-france-10-may-2020

There was NO blanket approach, I can't make my initial point any clearer than I already have.

They spoke on 10th May. The last link I posted is dated 9th May, stating the UK policy would only exempt Ireland.

I really can't see the trouble you're having understanding how this fits to what I've said.

They spoke on 10th May. The last link I posted is dated 9th May, stating the UK policy would only exempt Ireland.

I really can't see the trouble you're having understanding how this fits to what I've said.
You posted a BBC article, I posted the actual announcement from the UK government's website. There was NO blanket policy as you suggested. The BBC reported there would be a day before the official announcement. The BBC were wrong (oh horrors of horror, that's never happened before) and as a result you are wrong too.

As I said I can't make this any clearer, you're refusing to accept simple facts, so I will leave you to it and won't engage any further.

You posted a BBC article, I posted the actual announcement from the UK government's website. There was NO blanket policy as you suggested. The BBC reported there would be a day before the official announcement. The BBC were wrong (oh horrors of horror, that's never happened before) and as a result you are wrong too.

As I said I can't make this any clearer, you're refusing to accept simple facts, so I will leave you to it and won't engage any further.

So your issue is with my use of the word 'policy'? More than happy to be corrected on that. Let's change it to 'proposal'.

I believe Macron called Boris in response to the UK's reported 'proposal'...and everything I've said previously.

Substance entirely unchanged.

Last edited:
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps will be answering questions about Dominic Cummings at today's 4pm briefing.

Here is hoping China crush those racist scum in Hong Kong. Really do not understand how people can even stand up for Hong Kong and the way some of those racists are behaving is absolutely disgusting.

Wanting to have two sets of rules in a country? Wanting some form of self governance while trading with others.

Fcuking right wing racists in Hong Kong.

It's just a huge willy waving contest between Boris and Macron IMO.
That’s what I thought we didn’t include France now we have?

Annoying as I was supposed to be heading over there and Macron has retaliated though the govt has decided to act 2 months late. Has anyone seen Boris btw?

Back