• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

What are the Lib Dems gonna stand for in the election? Didnt they just give up the idea of another referendum? Are they just gonna say vote for us if you want to forget Brexit ever happened?

What are the Lib Dems gonna stand for in the election? Didnt they just give up the idea of another referendum? Are they just gonna say vote for us if you want to forget Brexit ever happened?
They are just pointless, always have been, always will be

Lib Dems will run on abolishing Brexit, IMO.

They can promise anything they like really, they know they wont win an election. Making it a referendum, rather than election, will probably be their best bet to gaining more seats though - so it will be a revoke A50 ticket all the way.

Which, if Labour are paying attention (not guaranteed), should mean Labour actually pinning their colours to a mast as well. If they dither over Brexit, as has been their policy, I can imagine the Lib Dems eating into their vote quite heavily.

If Labour actually stand on a remain ticket the Lib Dems will go off like a dud firework.

They can promise anything they like really, they know they wont win an election. Making it a referendum, rather than election, will probably be their best bet to gaining more seats though - so it will be a revoke A50 ticket all the way.

Which, if Labour are paying attention (not guaranteed), should mean Labour actually pinning their colours to a mast as well. If they dither over Brexit, as has been their policy, I can imagine the Lib Dems eating into their vote quite heavily.

If Labour actually stand on a remain ticket the Lib Dems will go off like a dud firework.

Couldn't Labour take a massive hit if they go for any form of Remain though? I mean a huge chunk of their base probably voted to leave originally or are now fed up with Brexit and want it out the way. Maybe they will try to divert our attention and talk about fixing the housing crisis or minimum wage etc and avoid any Brexit talk where possible. Either way I think they are f*#$%d.

Couldn't Labour take a massive hit if they go for any form of Remain though? I mean a huge chunk of their base probably voted to leave originally or are now fed up with Brexit and want it out the way. Maybe they will try to divert our attention and talk about fixing the housing crisis or minimum wage etc and avoid any Brexit talk where possible. Either way I think they are f*#$%d.

No one really knows, lots of people say they have lots of leave supporters but not clear whether the leave voters there also voted Labour and how decisive they'll be. Likely lose them a few seats I'd expect and considering they need to gain what 80-100 seats I don't see where they will come from.

Possibly, thats the catch for them, isnt it?

If they just try and ignore Brexit, they will be ignored. Its clearly the deal breaker in all this.

Plus you will probably find the Tories will just copy/steal half of those type of policies anyway = so the difference will come down to the handling of Brexit.

Lib Dems are going to be all in, Tories all out - if Labour just offer to "shake it all about" they will be shooting themselves in the foot, IMHO.

They have set themselves up to just stymie and block everything the Tories do/want/offer, they really need to show they are willing to put their money where their mouth is now and oppose Brexit, knowing the Tories will support it. Problem is, we all know Corbyn wants us out as much as anyone on the Tory benches....

That's pretty much my understanding of their position. And they have the cheek to keep the word 'democrats' in their name...

I think I've heard them over the last week or so trying to paint themselves as the 'alternative' between brexit (the tories) and no-brexit (the lib dems), so pretty much as you say above. Personally I hope they keep it up all the way to an election, I'm quite looking forward to seeing their chickens come home to roost.

I think I've heard them over the last week or so trying to paint themselves as the 'alternative' between brexit (the tories) and no-brexit (the lib dems), so pretty much as you say above. Personally I hope they keep it up all the way to an election, I'm quite looking forward to seeing their chickens come home to roost.

Do you think Corbyn will return to his Customs Union option? The one that leaves us completely at the EUs say on everything, but somehow affords us a say in the EUs trade policy?

Do you think Corbyn will return to his Customs Union option? The one that leaves us completely at the EUs say on everything, but somehow affords us a say in the EUs trade policy?

I think there's a good possibility of that. The tories hate the idea so as you suggested earlier, it would seem to check off his first priority at least.

Plus you will probably find the Tories will just copy/steal half of those type of policies anyway = so the difference will come down to the handling of Brexit.

Or if some of us use some gumption and see-through Johnsons not so fiendishly clever ploy.
Brexit is just making people act like tribal football fans. Don't let the tories do this to us.

Or if some of us use some gumption and see-through Johnsons not so fiendishly clever ploy.
Brexit is just making people act like tribal football fans. Don't let the tories do this to us.

Im no Tory.

Im no Labour fan either.

I dont think there is anyone who cant see through Boris' self serving BS.

Strangely though people seem to buy Corbyns...

Corbyn backs 16-year-olds and EU citizens voting in election
Jeremy Corbyn says it is “only logical” that EU citizens are given the right to vote in this election as he announces the party will back amendments on that and giving 16-year-olds the vote.

The Labour leader confirmed his party would back the vote for the general election - but would also try and expand the electorate.

An estimated 2.4 million EU citizens live and work in the UK.

Nothing transparently self serving in that is there?

Im no Tory.

Im no Labour fan either.

I dont think there is anyone who cant see through Boris' self serving BS.

Strangely though people seem to buy Corbyns...

I don't agree with Corbyn and his left-wing politics. But I would vote for him in a heartbeat if the alternative is the current far-right ERG lead Tories with the TV celebrity leader. (sounds familiar?)
He is there to charm the blue rinse phalanx and the more elderly male voters of a certain anti-immigration/Brexit leanings stuck in the early sixties and nothing more.

As for "seeing through him" I pray for our kids you are right.

Corbyn backs 16-year-olds and EU citizens voting in election
Jeremy Corbyn says it is “only logical” that EU citizens are given the right to vote in this election as he announces the party will back amendments on that and giving 16-year-olds the vote.

The Labour leader confirmed his party would back the vote for the general election - but would also try and expand the electorate.

An estimated 2.4 million EU citizens live and work in the UK.

Nothing transparently self serving in that is there?
This amendment if passed will mean the election bill will be pulled. There will be no election, just straight back to the chimps throwing brick at each other across the house.

This amendment if passed will mean the election bill will be pulled. There will be no election, just straight back to the chimps throwing brick at each other across the house.

So I saw, and quite right too.

Europeans voting is going to be entirely predictable, and 16 year olds are idiots.

To be honest so are 18 year olds. Id be more in favour of raising the voting age than lowering it!

Last edited:
So I saw, and quite right too.

Europeans voting is going to be entirely predictable, and 16 year olds are idiots.

To be honest so are 18 year olds. Id be more in favour of raising the voting age and lowering it!
On the other hand the younger generation will be affected by brexit far more than the older demographic, so maybe it is right to give them a say.

On the other hand the younger generation will be affected by brexit far more than the older demographic, so maybe it is right to give them a say.

No, its not.

Like I say, idiots. I think people need to actually live a bit before making such decisions.

Your average 16 year old isnt qualified to pick where to do the groceries, let alone who should run the country for the next 5 years.

No, its not.

Like I say, idiots. I think people need to actually live a bit before making such decisions.

Your average 16 year old isnt qualified to pick where to do the groceries, let alone who should run the country for the next 5 years.
But a bunch of old fogys about to pop their clogs can change the direction of a country they won't be part of for much longer? I'd trust the kids more than the older generation at this stage considering the absolute fudge show we've made of things.

Back