• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

The GE won't happen though because Labour don't think they will win it. Instead Johnson will probably just tell the EU we are going for no deal on 31 Jan, to try and make them only approve an extension now if the withdrawal bill is approved first (making the meaningful vote a pure deal or no deal vote).

It sounds like the numbers are very tight on the timetable. I think the govt might have been purposely vague on workers rights/implementation extension protocol, to have something to bargain this afternoon with the 30 ex-Tory and 30 Labour floaters.

He's just done exactly this with environmental protections:

Labour MP Caroline Flint says she welcomes a "pledge to introduce an environment bill that will enhance and not reduce standards".

She asks the prime minister if he will write "a non-regression clause" into the bill to ensure environmental standards do not slip after Brexit.

"I can indeed make that commitment," replies Mr Johnson.

People from Southampton and Portsmouth don't even speak to each other/do business with each other. I agree you can extend the tribe in a lose sense though myths (nationalism), but the small tribe is always the dominant reflex.
It is only the dominant reflex of the nationalist myth and Brexit is that on full display now. Ultimately it is about the other and it is about power.
Nationalism is power-hunger tempered by self-deception."

― George Orwell

(edit - this is a more succinct version)

He's just done exactly this with environmental protections:

Labour MP Caroline Flint says she welcomes a "pledge to introduce an environment bill that will enhance and not reduce standards".

She asks the prime minister if he will write "a non-regression clause" into the bill to ensure environmental standards do not slip after Brexit.

"I can indeed make that commitment," replies Mr Johnson.

Boris Johnson giving a verbal commitment to something. Righto.

People from Southampton and Portsmouth don't even speak to each other/do business with each other. I agree you can extend the tribe in a lose sense though myths (nationalism), but the small tribe is always the dominant reflex.
We have a factory in Portsmouth and I can tell you we absolutely do business with people from Southampton all the time.

In the words of our production manager "Just because they're backward, yokel uncle-fudgers, it doesn't make their money any less good."

It is pretty astounding, the party of free trade and business, of one-nation conservatism, the people who brought you free EU trade, and backed Thatcher to improve wealth in the UK...are now voting to undermine the Union. Effectively ostracising Ireland. And they are actively voting to tear up all our completely free trade with our neighbors, as well as to rip up our free trade agreements we have with 73 other nations.

How many MPs that vote for this Brexit bill, believe in it? How many think it will deliver any value and promise to the UK, and how many are simply hamstrung by political games involving the brexit party etc to deliver something, so they keep their jobs. A worrying state of affairs when parliament is not concerned with logic and reason - not concerned with looking at what is optimal for the UK, and instead is passing laws based upon fear.

It is pretty astounding, the party of free trade and business, of one-nation conservatism, the people who bought you free EU trade, and backed Thatcher to improve wealth in the UK...are now voting to undermine the Union. Effectively ostracising Ireland. And they are actively voting to tear up all our completely free trade with our neighbors, as well as to rip up our free trade agreements we have with 73 other nations.

How many MPs that vote for this Brexit bill, believe in it? How many think it will deliver any value and promise to the UK, and how many are simply hamstrung by political games involving the brexit party etc to deliver something, so they keep their jobs. A worrying state of affairs when parliament is not concerned with logic and reason - not concerned with looking at what is optimal for the UK, and instead is passing laws based upon fear.

Won't you at least enjoying getting black and red wiring back on your electricals?

Sorry Scara “Sajid Javid, the chancellor, has ruled out big giveaways in next month’s Budget, including putting on hold moves to implement Boris Johnson’s £8bn promise to cut the tax bills of people earning more than £50,000 a year.

Mr Javid’s first Budget on November 6 will instead focus on boosting the UK’s infrastructure, emphasising the government’s initial preference for higher public spending over tax cuts.

Figures released on Tuesday confirmed the worsening state of the public finances, with government net borrowing over the first half of the fiscal year 22 per cent higher than the previous year — the biggest rise in first-half borrowing since 2003-04. Higher spending drove the increase, with tax receipts growing at a more modest pace.”

From the FT

There is a theme to Boris. Promise everything. Deliver nothing. You should be concerned with his Brexit promises too.

Brexit economic fallout + higher government spending and higher debt = ___________?

Fill in the blank.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

So no happy hedge fund day on the 31st. My faith in the UK political class is slowly being restored.
Their only hope now is to keep blocking an election for a few years. Otherwise they'll get slaughtered (hopefully only politically) at election time.

Their only hope now is to keep blocking an election for a few years. Otherwise they'll get slaughtered (hopefully only politically) at election time.
A hint of violence. Don't go full maga yet until Trump annexes England.

Anyway, a few years will thin the brexit herd out and the rest will be senile enough to forget what they originally voted for, if they even know now.

A hint of violence. Don't go full maga yet until Trump annexes England.

Anyway, a few years will thin the brexit herd out and the rest will be senile enough to forget what they originally voted for, if they even know now.
Brexit isn't the point and I know plenty of remainders who are unhappy at the constant attempt to use technicalities and lawyers to undermine the work of our elected government.

Back