• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Egging a politician or equivalent is an ancient right of protest. The suffragettes used to use flour. It's going way too authoritarian to try and suppress that right.

But equally important is to preserve the politician's right to respond with a Prescott.

In ordinary times, I might agree. But with social media and the general toxicity of politics at the minute, I think things being calm should be encouraged. We had a crank locked up just the other day for plotting to murder a Labour MP. I know throwing a milkshake isn't the equivalent, but it's a worry that someone escalates it imo.

Those times are only created by people being cowed by the fear. It's the whole MO of authoritarianism. Respond with a bit of whimsy instead and the situation deescalates. Get a youtube video of the 10 greatest eggings in history, backed by the Benny Hill music, going viral, and the world becomes a better place.

It's not isolation. It's localism and sustainability. It's socially open, but an economic moving beyond extreme consumerism. You can't fight against global supply chains in an organisation designed to extend and protect global supply chains

The current green leadership are a bit itchy because of the new association between Europhobes and the right. They would be better setting out, in a way Corbyn is too nervous to publically do, the left version of leave. Jenny Jones (Leader of the Greens in the House of Lords) is the one person who is really good on this.
Brexit is isolationism. The UK greens are pro-EU much as it annoys you, and they've moved this way because of simple pragmatism. The scale of the climate challenge will not be solved by individuals or even isolated governments. We are facing an existential problem that requires our full attention and frankly I see Brexit as a distraction from these more important discussions.

As for the desire for local enterprise, local food production, increased self-reliance, reduced consumerism, and frankly any other environmental policy you can throw on the table, I'm fully on board. I'm glad that you see yourself as a green, I am too. But it is a bigger picture thing for me at this point. I view everything now through the eyes of my children.

Edit: I'm all in on this... https://www.gndforeurope.com/faq

Last edited:
@ShipOfGoldblum, Milo and anyone, presuming you're not voting the brexit party, who should one vote for on Thursday? Green, Lib Dem, Change UK, or Labour?

Lib Dem if you’re in London. The D’Hondt system means that the largest party to which you are broadly sympathetic can make best use of your vote, and it’s sadly clear that the Tiggers fudged their launch to the extent that LDs are the best alternative. And they deserve support for adopting the “gonad*s to Brexit” slogan. If you’re in Wales or Scotland, much tougher, as the leading remainists are also dodgy nationalists on their own parochial terms.

Labour is not a Remain party, not while Karie Murphy and Seamus Milne are the Rasputins whispering in the leader’s ear. And a Green vote is misinterpretable.

It's either isolationism or deregulation, if you want something in the middle that's called being a member of the EU.

Why not simply "independence".

What is it in not wanting to be part of a larger legal governance, to write your own rules, means we are being "isolationist"?

I do not see the correlation at all.

There is nothing to stop us being cooperative and outward facing as an independent nation. Nothing to stop us being involved on the world stage.

We dont need to be a part of the EU for those things to happen.

What is it in not wanting to be part of a larger legal governance, to write your own rules, means we are being "isolationist"?

There is nothing to stop us being cooperative and outward facing as an independent nation. Nothing to stop us being involved on the world stage.

There is nothing to stop us now either. What would you say is stopping us in the EU?

The point is within the EU we have a structure to cooperate with our neighbours and the world beyond. How would you organise such inter-nation cooperation better? Your logic doesn't hold together. Brexit sold an emotion "The UK taking control" problem is we never lost control. So there is almost nothing that can be delivered (nothing of value to the UK but there are significant loses to the UK from leaving. Almost no gains, lots of losses). Brexit is a sham.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA

Yeah we have been through this before. As soon as you sign a trade deal, you lose 'independance'... It really is a flimflam term within the context of Brexit, as we either have it already within the EU, or don't but will lose it as soon as we sign a trade deal.

Like with a lot of what Brexit is about, sounds great, but is not based in reality.

Yeah we have been through this before. As soon as you sign a trade deal, you lose 'independance'... It really is a flimflam term within the context of Brexit, as we either have it already within the EU, or don't but will lose it as soon as we sign a trade deal.

Like with a lot of what Brexit is about, sounds great, but is not based in reality.

None of which actually addresses the point being made.

What about Brexit is "isolationist" exactly?

Maybe the Directors of British Steel and Jamie's Italian don't know what they are talking about, but both named Brexit as a factor in them closing. Extra 20% costs for Jamies food imports, and potential future tarrifs affecting steel orders. I'm sure there are other reasons too, but economics is rarely simple cause and effect. There are always many variabes, and Brexit will slowely and consistently degrade our economy. What a terrible waste of time. I hope we don't spend more wasteful years pursuing this myth and losing jobs and wealth in the UK.

Last edited:
Maybe the Directors of British Steel and Jamie's Italian don't know what they are talking about, but both named Brexit as a factor in them closing. Extra 20% costs for Jamies food imports, and potential future tarrifs affecting steel orders. I'm sure there are other reasons too, but economics is rarely simple cause and effect. There are always many variabes, and Brexit will slowely and consistently degrade our economy. What a terrible waste of time. I hope we don't spend more wasteful years pursuing this myth and losing jobs and wealth in the UK.

One needs to be nationalised (but the EU won't allow that) and one ponzi schemed on high street rents (losing the high risk Thatcherite/EU game)

Been away and just seen Milkshakegate

Milkshake throwing is silly really, all comedy villain pinions aside its assault and all you do is give power to someone who is already gaining too much power.

Shame really

Brexit may have been in play for Jamies Italian but his major businesses have struggled for years namely because he is not a very good businessman in terms of keeping successful business in operation, the nice guy act is lovely and he manages to line his pockets very well but his is not very good at keeping business up and running.

A friend of mine works very high up in one of the UKs main mid range Pizza restaurants and there has been HUGE pressure on the mid range middle of the road restaurants for years because the Byron Burger, Strada, Bella Italy market has cannibalised itself and there was too much competition in the samey samey Restaurant market and has been for years.

Back