• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I am open to all sides and opinions, just pointing out some details which you seem to agree with.

I appreciate your views but you only express economic viewpoints, for some people they like the feeling of the UK being in control, ability to vote polticians out when things happen they don't like etc. If everyone was all about money then why not just continue burning coal, having huge oil corporations and allow fracking everywhere. It's a complex argument which for many is economic but for others might be something else.

An excellent post. The emotional, identity side of things is vital. I'm not going to say it was used, but the leave campaign were clever to appeal to national pride and identity. And on that level, I have a lot of respect for those who believe in Brexit. In general, they are looking out for the nation and believe in Britain. All positive things. On the flip side the remain campaign didn't frame its campaign well at all. The EU's heart is economic. A customs union. The main changes we may (or may not) see are related to trade. That is the reality. Or will we feel different as we walk down the non-EU influenced streets?

(Part two)

There are a number of problems with all these studies, including the sensitivity of the results to the choice of countries in the control group and the weights assigned to them. Successive iterations of the CER model have required some large changes in order to ensure a good fit. But the biggest weakness is the assumption that all the difference in the relative performance of the UK since 2016 is due to Brexit, rather than other unrelated factors affecting the UK or the control group.

In reality, there may be some very good reasons why the UK would have slipped down the growth league tables anyway, regardless of the outcome of the 2016 referendum. Much as I’d like to think otherwise, the UK isn’t normally the strongest economy in the G7, and some eurozone economies in particular were due a period of catch up.

What’s more, any international comparison is usually dominated by what has happened in the US, where the economy has recently benefited from a substantial fiscal boost under President Trump. In contrast, UK GDP has grown at roughly the same pace as Germany since 2016, and actually outperformed Germany over the last two years.

To be fair, John Springford at least has acknowledged this point. The latest (and final) CER report noted that excluding the US from the analysis reduced the estimated hit to UK GDP from 2.9% to 2.2%, while excluding Germany (and thus increasing the weight on the US) increased it to 3.4%. But that’s a substantial margin of error.

I therefore think it makes more sense to adopt a ‘bottom-up’ approach. There is no doubt that the UK economy has been held back since 2016 by Brexit uncertainty in two main ways. But again, most studies are too pessimistic.

One of these channels is the inflationary impact of the fall in the pound. For example, economists at the LSE have suggested that this has increased consumer prices by 2.9%, costing the average household £870 per year. There’s a lot of sophisticated analysis behind this, but in the end all they have done is take 0.29 (an estimate of the share of imports in UK consumer expenditure) and multiply it by 10% (an estimate of the fall in an import-weighted sterling exchange rate index).

In my opinion, this is at the upper end of what’s plausible. The study assumes that higher import costs are passed on in full to consumers and that they are unable to avoid them by switching to domestic goods and services. It also ignores other channels through which the fall in the exchange rate might have had a positive impact on the economy and on at least some households, including the boosts to competitiveness and asset prices. But my main objection is the assumption that the fall in the exchange rate is permanent.

URL: https://capx.co/the-problem-with-the-big-cost-of-brexit-numbers/

I always check an author's bias. Everyone has one, and this guy writes a brexit blog. So he's trying to make light of the economic impacts of Brexit. Yet at the same time, he accepts the UK economy has been affected negatively by Brexit. So all he is really saying is, the UK economy has suffered from Brexit but maybe not as much as some say. He also offers no potential reasons for the UK going from the top of the G7 growth table over the period post-vote to the bottom. Just that it might well be due to something else.

The Bloomberg analysis he mentions has the cost to the economy so far as £130b. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-and-counting-the-cost-of-brexit-for-the-u-k That is eyewatering. Even if the figures have a big margin of error, they dwarf the £20b a year the UK paid the EU.

I don't think there is much doubt, even among pro-brexit people like the blog author, without the vote the UK would have come out of austerity, and now have a lot more cash to spend on HS2, the NHS and education. He argues that the figure of households being £870 worse off a year is too high. But with the pound 10% lower that makes perfect sense. You only have to do a weekly shop to see you're spending £10-15 more than you did a couple of years ago.

Thankfully there is some positivity post-election. People are relieved we are not in limbo anymore. The next year will be fascinating, with plenty of ups and downs in the pound. Boris is actually a big plus. He keeps the charade on the road. Is he underrated? He is delivering a herculean task. Tune in to find out how he'll get past the next phase of trade negotiations. Remainers are in a weird position on this. They want the best for their country. But they also want to say 'see I told you so' if/when it goes tits up. There are certainly some big challenges to deliver Brexit while protecting jobs and the economy. What Boris brings is confidence and belief which is probably more important than any data (his confidence can affect the data); it helps to set the tone/outlook/mood - they key different to May. The 64 million-dollar question is will Boris keep riding forward through the EU trade deal against all the odds (and logic) or will reality throw him, and how will he deal with the fallout?

This is the political soap opera of our time. It's never been so fascinating.

Last edited:
Happily so. Enjoy knowing nothing outside your tiny little racist bubble, you prick.
:p

Yet I will be able to keep a stuff upper lip, refrain from sudden outbursts of anger and be respected across the world. Downsides: I don't get to drive a "yoot" or lunch my wife.

:p

Yet I will be able to keep a stuff upper lip, refrain from sudden outbursts of anger and be respected across the world. Downsides: I don't get to drive a "yoot" or lunch my wife.

England respected? Again, have a look outside your bubble. You're the planet's new fat, ignorant 'Mericans. fudging bunch of racist, redneck, retards.

I say England because the rest of the soon to be defunct UK maintain their respect.

Edit: Wales not so much.

England respected? Again, have a look outside your bubble. You're the planet's new fat, ignorant 'Mericans. fudging bunch of racist, redneck, retards.

I say England because the rest of the soon to be defunct UK maintain their respect.
Respect, yes. Not a concept you're familiar with, I'm sure. But travelling the world as an Englishman brings respect everywhere (except for in a few backward places like Australia).

Don't worry your little head about the UK either. They'll stick with us because they can't afford to be independent.

The silver lining about the Brexit ten shilling bits is that as a metropolitan elitist remainer I haven’t touched cash in ages. Everything is contactless these days. 50p pieces are archaisms that querulous bigots collect from the post office pension counter and then exchange for copies of the Daily Express. Javid might as well put his own smirking mug on every coin, for all the rest of us would notice.

What a wonderful morning it is today

I hope it is for the best... I really do. And if it is i will turn around and say i was wrong. You guys were right.

But if it damages the uk, makes us poorer, less relevant, breaks the union, make us even more of lowly extension of the United states, starts the privatisation of healthcare continues the rise of racism. if all or some of that happens, will you turn around and say you were wrong, will try to fix your mistake... or will you continue down the same path but ramp it up? If all or some of the above come into being, do you bare any responsibility? Will you try to do something about it because of that responsibility?

Like I said... I hope it doesn't. Because even though I'm second generation I still love this country, I will still be paying taxes here and hopefully making investments.

@scaramanga @Danishfurniturelover @parklane1 @Parklaner81 @Grays_1890 @Gutter Boy @nigelFarragelover69

Respect, yes. Not a concept you're familiar with, I'm sure. But travelling the world as an Englishman brings respect everywhere (except for in a few backward places like Australia).

Don't worry your little head about the UK either. They'll stick with us because they can't afford to be independent.

See I'm not patriotic, so having a go at Australia has no effect on me. Australian's can be racist, drive utes and punch women, much like English people can wear tracksuits, stab each other, exist on fried diets and label Bangladeshi or Indian people as Paki's.

England colonised Australia, that's on them. It's not my home or theirs, it's the indigenous people's that were slaughtered in droves.

If you can't see what a global laughing stock your country is at the moment, that just highlights my point about the little incestuous bubble you squelch around in.

I hope it is for the best... I really do. And if it is i will turn around and say i was wrong. You guys were right.

But if it damages the uk, makes us poorer, less relevant, breaks the union, make us even more of lowly extension of the United states, starts the privatisation of healthcare continues the rise of racism. if all or some of that happens, will you turn around and say you were wrong, will try to fix your mistake... or will you continue down the same path but ramp it up? If all or some of the above come into being, do you bare any responsibility? Will you try to do something about it because of that responsibility?

Like I said... I hope it doesn't. Because even though I'm second generation I still love this country, I will still be paying taxes here and hopefully making investments.

@scaramanga @Danishfurniturelover @parklane1 @Parklaner81 @Grays_1890 @Gutter Boy @nigelFarragelover69

Will they fudge. They’ll blame establishment saboteurs.

Back