• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

My fear is the NHS becoming weaponised by whoever deems it advantageous.
Too late unfortunately, the best thing that could happen to the NHS is for it to be taken out of politics.
A non partisan board of governors elected every 5 years with a set budget. Impossible I know but something has to change.

This gonad*s from GG’s brexity headbangers is of a piece with fudging Boris’ “people’s government” banner - and, of course, his plans to take revenge on the judiciary. Winner takes all. Dissent, checks and balances, any appeal to truth or reason - all are anti-democratic.
Protesting the actions of a government is one thing, protesting the (overwhelming) choice of the public is another.

No issue with protesting as long as they aren't causing trouble, free speech should be encouraged.

What's ironic is that it's a load of people down saff protesting in London when ultimately the election result was determined by the Labour heartlands up north many of whom haven't voted Tory in over a hundred years. Shows to me that some of these people just don't get it.
The UK will have to do something with the stupid FPTP system. It is a relic that should have been changed aeons ago.

The UK will have to do something with the stupid FPTP system. It is a relic that should have been changed aeons ago.

Apart from feeling totally fed up at the result, I also feel totally disenfranchised under the FPTP system.
I live in a Tory safe seat, probably one of the safest in the country. Just shy of 70% of the vote this time round, usually 60-65%. It's just pointless voting anything else, although I still do.
We (the public) had the chance to change it back in 2011 but voted to stick with the status quo. And that vote only happened due to the coalition government. There's no upside for this government, nor any incumbent government with a decent majority, in changing it.
This is what people should be protesting about.

It's not the choice of their country though is it, clearly.
Their country (again, democratically) chose to continue taking our hand outs and a disproportionate level of representation in the Commons. They've got nothing to complain about either.

But I’m with the Scots as I am with the people of the Catalan or any call for legitimate democratic independence!

Don't be fooled by the noisy minority , the majority of Scots have no interest in independence.
Even fewer will when they realise that if the UK leaves the EU and Scotland "wins" independence there will be a hard border with England.
And that's just one of the many things the SNP doesn't want to talk about.

Apart from feeling totally fed up at the result, I also feel totally disenfranchised under the FPTP system.
I live in a Tory safe seat, probably one of the safest in the country. Just shy of 70% of the vote this time round, usually 60-65%. It's just pointless voting anything else, although I still do.
We (the public) had the chance to change it back in 2011 but voted to stick with the status quo. And that vote only happened due to the coalition government. There's no upside for this government, nor any incumbent government with a decent majority, in changing it.
Didn't they give us a vote on AV, rather than PR, or some fudge that wouldn't have changed anything much anyway? I seem to remember it ultimately being little better.

Lib Dems would have about 70 seats if we had PR, apparently. But then again they were happy to cancel the result of a PR vote had they won under FPTP so...

(Not that that would've bothered me.)

Just be grateful that you live in a safe Tory seat, they tend to be really nice areas.

Back