• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

it’s been ok and acceptable to publicly protest against pretty much anything for quite a long time, don’t you think the alternative would be worse?

I think there's a difference between protesting something widely perceived as wrong or an injustice (let's say NHS cuts as an example), and protesting the (emphatic) result of a democratic election.

So much for healing the divide and 'bringing the country back together'...

didn’t you see all the trump ones, people have been protesting against him every single day since his election, all across the world

the thought process is nothing more than, “I’m not happy about this, and I have the freedom to say so”

the freedom to protest is a vital component of democracy
I did see the Trump ones, I was thinking the UK though. I also thought the Trump ones were ridiculous as well, I just don’t get it. Of course not every decision is going to be unanimous, but if you lose it doesn’t mean you stamp your feet, it’s just childish.

Glasgow City centre tonight an "organised" March up and down the main shopping street shouting fudge Boris.
I asked one of the police why this had allowed and how many arrests had been made for public order offences and foul and abusive language.
No answer and a hard stare.
Woman in front of me was nearly in tears because her kids were terrified as they got shoved into the side to let these idiots by.
And they tried to paint the Conservatives as extreme simply for having a different view on taxation to them.

I think there's a difference between protesting something widely perceived as wrong or an injustice (let's say NHS cuts as an example), and protesting the (emphatic) result of a democratic election.

So much for healing the divide and 'bringing the country back together'...

but this Tory govt is both of those things, a clear winner that is going to deliver 5 years of injustice and further NHS cuts

there won’t be any healing for a long long time as the two leading parties have arguably never been further apart, obviously the commies are hopefully about to lose control of labour but as it stands today both are in the thrall of extremists

I did see the Trump ones, I was thinking the UK though. I also thought the Trump ones were ridiculous as well, I just don’t get it. Of course not every decision is going to be unanimous, but if you lose it doesn’t mean you stamp your feet, it’s just childish.

Is it stamping or feet or reminding the administration that they are not universally loved?

Is it stamping or feet or reminding the administration that they are not universally loved?
Isn’t that what the results just a few hours earlier would have suggested? 45% of people didn’t vote for them, they knew this the same day, why go to the streets to say something they are already aware of?

but this Tory govt is both of those things, a clear winner that is going to deliver 5 years of injustice and further NHS cuts

there won’t be any healing for a long long time as the two leading parties have arguably never been further apart, obviously the commies are hopefully about to lose control of labour but as it stands today both are in the thrall of extremists

If it is those things (and I don't agree that it is, but that's another discussion), it is something that has been democratically chosen by an emphatic margin barely 24 hours ago.

I would argue that this apparently newfound refusal to accept democratic decisions with good grace is actually the biggest contributor to the disharmony this country has endured in recent years. I also have a strong opinion on which 'side' is more prone to such behaviour, and it would appear nothing's set to change in that regard sadly.

If it is those things (and I don't agree that it is, but that's another discussion), it is something that has been democratically chosen by an emphatic margin barely 24 hours ago.

I would argue that this apparently newfound refusal to accept democratic decisions with good grace is actually the biggest contributor to the disharmony this country has endured in recent years. I also have a strong opinion on which 'side' is more prone to such behaviour, and it would appear nothing's set to change in that regard sadly.
Frightening isn’t it?

It’s the first time ive ever seen a protest march a day after an election? But maybe I have missed them previously?

Protest about things that haven’t just been democratically settled, fine, but what’s the thought process here?

I don't think you've been paying enough attention - this lot have got form for it, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

there is a huge difference between not accepting it and publicly declaring they don’t like it

if they stop paying taxes and obeying the law that would be a different matter, a few placards and slogans on a walk is harmless

This gonad*s from GG’s brexity headbangers is of a piece with fudging Boris’ “people’s government” banner - and, of course, his plans to take revenge on the judiciary. Winner takes all. Dissent, checks and balances, any appeal to truth or reason - all are anti-democratic.

there is a huge difference between not accepting it and publicly declaring they don’t like it

if they stop paying taxes and obeying the law that would be a different matter, a few placards and slogans on a walk is harmless

As I think @glasgowspur suggested earlier, the events in Scotland don't sound as if they were entirely harmless. Endless public declarations of not liking democratic decisions haven't exactly been without consequence in recent years either.

A bit of restraint and dignity would've been nice, that's all.

Back