• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players with street-fighter instinct

metalgear

Nayim
The Man C game reminded me of how well behaved a team we are. We don't gang up and pressure the ref, we don't really have any dirty players (or not for long), we don't instigate fights, we don't bite :)

Sure its a think line but football is still a contact sport and a even more so today, a high pressured psychological environment where every bit of spirit and morale counts. And while the "street fighter instinct" is a bit unsportsmanlike being overtly aggressive, it is also within the rules of football, and referees don't bloody care about sportsmanship or the spirit of the game.

OK bale's antics have gotten a lot of attention, but having been a speedster on the pitch myself, getting hacked down at speed is something you never get used to, so I forgive him. But sometimes against the more physical teams who seem to get away we everything, we look nothing short of "soft".

So credit to the players like Dawson and Parker who try to engage the ref in a sensible exchange on the pitch. When that fails...then I look to one or two players who can take matters and their own hands and exact their own 'justice':

Two players come to mind, and played a critical role in our comeback in the Emirates Marketing Project game:

BAE - now here's a player who learned his football in the street and could see through the game that Emirates Marketing Project (especially Naszri) was playing and was dishing it back in a tit-for-tat fashion.

Dempsey - now this is classic american passive-aggressive; he gets manhandled - he goes to ground... not in a simulation but he kinda invites himself to be taken down, and trains his aggressor to do so. He has won us countless freekicks in good areas by putting his body on the line. Brave man.

I think Parker is pretty clever in this, maybe you wouldn't call it streetwise but he would force justice back. You don't see many full blooded tackles although he will put them in, but he is good at the little nicks and taking one for te team if play needs to be broken.

Plus if he is tackled hard but there is a free kick to be one he'll stay down and just look expectant.

The Man C game reminded me of how well behaved a team we are. We don't gang up and pressure the ref, we don't really have any dirty players (or not for long), we don't instigate fights, we don't bite :)

Sure its a think line but football is still a contact sport and a even more so today, a high pressured psychological environment where every bit of spirit and morale counts. And while the "street fighter instinct" is a bit unsportsmanlike being overtly aggressive, it is also within the rules of football, and referees don't bloody care about sportsmanship or the spirit of the game.

OK bale's antics have gotten a lot of attention, but having been a speedster on the pitch myself, getting hacked down at speed is something you never get used to, so I forgive him. But sometimes against the more physical teams who seem to get away we everything, we look nothing short of "soft".

So credit to the players like Dawson and Parker who try to engage the ref in a sensible exchange on the pitch. When that fails...then I look to one or two players who can take matters and their own hands and exact their own 'justice':

Two players come to mind, and played a critical role in our comeback in the Emirates Marketing Project game:

BAE - now here's a player who learned his football in the street and could see through the game that Emirates Marketing Project (especially Naszri) was playing and was dishing it back in a tit-for-tat fashion.

Dempsey - now this is classic american passive-aggressive; he gets manhandled - he goes to ground... not in a simulation but he kinda invites himself to be taken down, and trains his aggressor to do so. He has won us countless freekicks in good areas by putting his body on the line. Brave man.

flimflam. BAE's dad was a footballer a high level. He learned from him.

I think Parker is pretty clever in this, maybe you wouldn't call it streetwise but he would force justice back. You don't see many full blooded tackles although he will put them in, but he is good at the little nicks and taking one for te team if play needs to be broken.

Plus if he is tackled hard but there is a free kick to be one he'll stay down and just look expectant.

Parker is brilliant at this, say someone tackles one of our players quite hard. Parker will definitely make sure the perpetrator will get his comeuppance within the next five minutes or so.

BAE is weak - I think he'll yield or probably run away

Dempsey grew up in a trailer park so probably learnt a few dirty moves and has that look

I've always imagined Kaboul would be quite the fighter

[/INDENT]

Stats show that Dempsey is our more frequently fouled player in the league.
He is brilliant at winning freekicks. Best player I've ever seen for always winning frees is Damien Duff.

:-"

biter.jpg

Walker does not duck anything, also Verts is brave but the player we have that will "do" somebody is Hudd, Dawson is clean but shirks nothing, imo we do not lack in this department, but I have said before we give refs an easy time, for instance we should have surrounded macaron for the Nasri tackle, other teams do it all the time.

I got the impression that in the first alf Emirates Marketing Project were quite niggly, bordering on dirty and Mason gave us nothing. Second half, it appeared as if the players got a bit of anger in their eyes and I agree that Benny, Dempsey and Dawson did get stuck in.

- learnt how to do it at Chelsea

Parker is brilliant at this, say someone tackles one of our players quite hard. Parker will definitely make sure the perpetrator will get his comeuppance within the next five minutes or so.

Do you have some specific examples?

I'm still waiting for him to get back at Suarez for swinging his arm out at his throat when Parker was running past him, or for kicking him the stomach, or for Parker to get back at Balotelli for kicking him in the head.

----------------------

The only player we have willing to dish out some punishment is Huddlestone, he can be a bit nasty at times. Will probably get a red or a suspension for it at some point if he sticks around, but at least he protects himself and the team.

Dempsey has a bit of fight in him as well, Sandro and Dawson are both fair. Ekotto is sneaky, but no street fighter instincts, too nice.

Do you have some specific examples?

I'm still waiting for him to get back at Suarez for swinging his arm out at his throat when Parker was running past him, or for kicking him the stomach, or for Parker to get back at Balotelli for kicking him in the head.

----------------------

The only player we have willing to dish out some punishment is Huddlestone, he can be a bit nasty at times. Will probably get a red or a suspension for it at some point if he sticks around, but at least he protects himself and the team.

Dempsey has a bit of fight in him as well, Sandro and Dawson are both fair. Ekotto is sneaky, but no street fighter instincts, too nice.

I think Benny has a bit of a dark side (that's not a racist comment btw before someone jumps all over it). He cleaned out Nasri (I think) in the City game with a hard but fair tackle. He made sure that he got ball and man in that tackle but later lost it a bit with the two footer. He was up for that game no doubt but there are other times where he looks like he couldn't give a fiddlers.

I noticed that City were niggly all game. Nothing too overt but little fouls that Mason was letting go consistently. They went down easy as well.

I know he isn't with the side at the moment, but Danny Rose is no shrinking violet. Besides taking out that **** Hutton, he basically took on all of Serbia's team and their insane fans. I really would love to see him as our LB of the future, and I hope he can make the grade. Also, you wouldn't want to fudge with Caulker.

On Dempsey, it's a bit of a weird one. I don't think he's been anywhere near good enough this season, but he always puts in a shift and is a real fighter. Not sure I see him as a week-in week-out player, but he could be a good squad player. Or could he push on in year two? We shall see.

Back