• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pele - the fraud

I'd rather listen to people who were around at the time rather than look at a bunch of stats and biased logic. Anyone I've heard who talk about Pele talk about a true great and most say he was the greatest of all time. They also talk about his influence beyond football which I have seen in my lifetime. Pele transcends football in the same way Ali transcended boxing and Elvis transcended music.

As for the football, the fella won 3 World Cups and they were 12 years apart. That's a remarkable achievement in itself. That he won his first as a 17 year old as the star in a formidable Brazilian team says a lot. What do most people achieve when they are 17? Look at the famous goal in the final where he flicked it past himself and scored. Beautiful. The 1970 team was outstanding. Carlos Alberto, Jairzinho, Rivelino, Tostao, Gerson...wow. That game against Italy is a thing of beauty, the last goal is just the purest goal - it's what I think of when I talk about how I love seeing football played. That team was exceptional and was one of the reasons I fell in love with football. It was before my time but listening to my dad and uncles talking about them like they were men from another planet playing a brand of football never seen on this side of the world before. Pele was undeniably their talisman which, in itself, says a lot about how good he was.

Was he the GOAT? There isn't really enough footage for me to judge. But there's arguments for and against everyone. Maradona did it for maybe 4 years and only at one club. GHod knows what he was putting into his body at the time. Messi never did it at a World Cup. Ronaldo never won a World Cup. Ditto Cruyff. Best burned bright and then burned out. Likewise, you could make an argument for any of them.

But I'd never dream of calling any of them a fraud. All were/are tremendous talents and part of the reason I fell in love with and continue to love football.

Are you mad stats win all the time, it's how people with no knowledge of any subject make their judgements. That Muhammad Ali weren't as good as Rocky Marciano who won all his fixed fights.

great at prediction skills also, still waiting for colombia/an african team to win the world cup edison

Back