• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulo Dybala

Ah no. Please tell me that’s not it.

If that’s it, the club can stick the app up their hole. “The app is the only place to get official news first.” I’ve seen Sessegnon with the shirt already.

Ultimately sums up our main issue, it isn't that we can't afford some of the top players, it's we can't afford all the bull that comes with them (third party, image rights, agents fees etc.).

Just gutted really, great window, and definitely one step foreword has been taken to improve the squad, but for the time being. Eriksen is a dead to cert ro leave (1 step back) for a value no near his actual worth to prevent him leaving on a free (would be impressed if we get £50m or more) and both our centre backs are in the same position.

Unless we get new deals for all three, which currently seems unlikely, then I fear that improvement made during this window will either be minor or even worse, short lived.

Who posted about the SC itk who said GLC would be announced first, Sessegnon second - got that one right thrn

Who posted about the SC itk who said GLC would be announced first, Sessegnon second - got that one right thrn

igijedi or something at Spurs Community. He definitely works for Spurs or the company that does the online stuff.

maybe they wanted Icardi but Lukaku happened too late for them to get that done

I'd agree, but they still have a couple more weeks to get that done. Maybe keeping Dybala in case it doesn't happen and then flogging him later on this window or January.

The official reason (at least the one I have seen) was that Juve pulled the plug. I get the impression that we were taking a chance at the last minute because any earlier and we risked being outbid or the player considering going elsewhere. What I am having problems working out is why Juve cancelled it.

From all the updates that went out over yesterday and today, it sounded like everything had been settled with the club and player. Now Juve must've known that Lukaku was going to Inter before today, so either their second choice hasn't panned out or someone like PSG has come in and offered more than us at the death. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him in the next couple of weeks.

Thats an interesting thought on psg. Could they have got wind on what we were doing with lo celso to reduce their cut and decided to screw us by pushing ahead with any interest they’ve had in dybala or could it have been vice versa - we learned they were scuppering our dybala deal so we decided to screw them on lo celso.

Its very frustrating this dybala deal hasnt happened, I suspect at the very least a loan could have been done to get around the image rights and my suspicion is we have been screwed by juve. Other interested parties makes that a viable course of action from them I guess.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...aris-saint-germain-deadline-day-a9047451.html

Paulo Dybala: How close Tottenham came to pulling off the biggest deal of the transfer window
Spurs did everything within their power to sign the Juventus forward, only for Paris Saint-Germain intermediaries and a complex image rights situation to derail their bid

Tottenham Hotspur wanted to sign him. Juventus wanted to sell him. And Paulo Dybala wanted to move.

In the end, none of it really mattered. The English transfer window has now closed and Dybala remains a Juventus player. Sources close to the Juve dressing room say he is furious at the situation he has been placed in by the Italian champions. Juventus will now attempt to farm him out to Paris Saint-Germain or elsewhere ahead of their own deadline, on September 2.

Contrary to reports, negotiations between the two clubs went down to the wire. Spurs were desperate not to miss out on a player they have spent three weeks painstakingly working to sign, while Juventus need a sale to balance their uneven wage-turnover ratio. As the clock ticked steadily down, a series of alternative deals were proposed, but there was simply too little time left to play with.

But a transfer taking Dybala away from Juventus was never going to be easy.

Such an obstructive demand also demonstrated that Dybala never really wanted to move to Old Trafford, as he had considerable doubts over their current profile. Tottenham was a much more appealing destination, particularly because of the opportunity to work with Argentine compatriot Pochettino and their status as a modern Champions League club.

That is the benefit of getting to a final.

Having watched United’s interest wane as they began to focus on other targets, and safe in the knowledge that Juventus viewed Dybala as their most sellable asset as they continued to rebuild their squad in Sarri’s image, Spurs decided to make their move in the final week of the window. Juventus readily accepted a transfer offer in the region of €70m, but Spurs were still left with several obstacles to overcome.

First of all, they had to find the financial muscle to meet Dybala’s wage demands, which exceeded the £200k-per-week currently earned by top earner Harry Kane. There was also another pressing issue, which had already helped to scupper Manchester United’s approach and would ultimately end Tottenham’s hopes of landing one of the biggest signatures in the club’s history.

Image rights.

It was an extraordinarily complex detail in an already labyrinthine deal. Some years ago, Dybala had sold his image rights – the right a player possesses to control, sell, license and otherwise monetise his likeness – to the Malta-based Star Image Company, owned by his former agent, Pierpaolo Triulzi. That meant that, before any transfer could be ratified, Spurs would have to reach a financial agreement with the company since image rights are not legally recognised by the Premier League.

The Independent was told by sources close to the Italian side of the deal that this fee would be significantly lower than the £40m quoted by several Italian newspapers. But it was still a headache, for both Spurs and Juventus.

As recently as Wednesday evening, there was real confidence an agreement could be reached, with a cautiously optimistic Juventus doing everything within their power to help Tottenham untangle the image rights issue and push through the deal. But, by Thursday morning, the landscape had already altered drastically.

“Everything is now hanging by a thread,” said a source involved in the deal at 11am on deadline day.

Juventus’ caution was well-placed. As Spurs progressed with their attempts to sign another Argentina international, Giovani Lo Celso, as well as Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon, they hit a brick wall in their attempts to strike an expensive agreement over Dybala’s image rights. A permanent transfer was well and truly off the cards.

In a clear case of expectation management, Triulzi let it be known that it was Juventus who had decided to pull the plug, in the wake of their ideal replacement – United’s Lukaku – agreeing a transfer to Inter Milan. Yet, behind the scenes, both Juventus and Spurs continued their attempts to facilitate a switch. An ambitious attempt to agree a temporary loan with a legal obligation to buy – thus briefly circumnavigating the image rights problem – was even explored, as Tottenham made one last ditch attempt to salvage a deal they had expended so much effort working on.

But there remained too many complications. And there remained too little time.

Thursday’s 5pm deadline arrived. It did not help Tottenham that, late into the negotiation, intermediaries from Paris Saint-Germain sought to reassure Juventus that the French champions remain interested in signing Dybala in the event of Neymar’s possible sale. Juventus have three weeks to work on that deal. Hashing out a panicked agreement with Spurs therefore made little logical sense.

For Spurs, the failure to sign Dybala is in no way a disaster. Having gone close to two years without signing a player, they have spent well over £100m this summer to bring Ndombele, Jack Clarke, Sessegnon and Lo Celso to the club. They are a stronger team than last season. But, having come so close to signing one of the most exciting young forwards in the world, this window will always be remembered by fans with a tinge of disappointment.

They have done good business. But signing Dybala would have made it complete business.

When does the loan window shut? can we not just get him on loan still and do the rest of the deal as and when?

An ambitious attempt to agree a temporary loan with a legal obligation to buy – thus briefly circumnavigating the image rights problem – was even explored, as Tottenham made one last ditch attempt to salvage a deal they had expended so much effort working on.

But there remained too many complications. And there remained too little time.

Good insight but the reasoning for why the loan didnt happen is not explained and is glossed over with ‘‘but there remained too many complications and too little time’’

Well the whole point of the loan is that it circumvented the complications and the time issue.

So I maintain there is more to this than meets the eye.

A loan MIGHT circumvent the complications around image rights, but in itself - being with an obligation to buy etc, pending the outcome of those image rights - Im sure would have been very complex to try and agree.

Thats an interesting thought on psg. Could they have got wind on what we were doing with lo celso to reduce their cut and decided to screw us by pushing ahead with any interest they’ve had in dybala or could it have been vice versa - we learned they were scuppering our dybala deal so we decided to screw them on lo celso.

Its very frustrating this dybala deal hasnt happened, I suspect at the very least a loan could have been done to get around the image rights and my suspicion is we have been screwed by juve. Other interested parties makes that a viable course of action from them I guess.

I don't think it's anything as petty as that. My thinking seems to be supported by the article in post #849, PSG need a big name to replace Neymar (if he goes) and have the time to sort things if required.

All a bit gutting. Why the fudge do we have such a short window again?

Think the shipped has sailed personally now.

My prediction is next summer chelsea will offer him 400k a week, give the agent 1.5x whatever he wants and give the image rights company 50m.

They’ll also sign any brothers he has and give them 200k a week and a 10m signing on fee.

Deeply frustrating. As there seemed to be a good fit and a window to make it happen.

...but it was always an unlikely one. You never know he could join his comrades in Jan.

Listen folks. We were NEVER going to sign him. Not in a month of Sundays. Not just the price, but his wages were well beyond our structure. The image right issue is simply not solvable without bucketloads of cash being thrown at it. If Man U with their muscle couldn't do it - do you really think Spurs could? Don't beat yourselves up over this pipe dream. We are still not at the very top table yet.

maybe they wanted Icardi but Lukaku happened too late for them to get that done
Their transfer window doesn't close for another 3 and a half weeks. It has to be either the image rights bulldoodoo, or that they got a better offer.

Their transfer window doesn't close for another 3 and a half weeks. It has to be either the image rights bulldoodoo, or that they got a better offer.

They might have wanted to guarantee the replacement and the incoming money first, either do both deals at the same time or neither

Back